Obsidian cheats at research

Walsingham

A friend has asked me to try and produce some articles and references on the age at which a child forms a definite sense of personal identity. Further, when does that child attach to a specific family/parents? And what factors influence this process?

I'm trying to do this online and failing miserably. Curse my bias towards cognitive methods!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd almost suggest hanging an "Innocent" card on your chest, and handing out questionaires and sweeties to kids at some primary / middle schools.. but that might get you classed as a little bit creepy and suspicious... >_<

Amid that vast contact network I gather there won't be any child psychologists you could hit up.... hm, any professional shrinks that might know the best career related journals that might be available with related articles?

The random thought line does have that people identify who they are early, but the whole process of growing up constantly evolves that identity. So when you say "definite" are you meaning just the "core" part of that personality, or when kids become teenagers/adults and no longer really change in that same sense?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, I'd imagine there would be multiple stages in that development. Or at least I imagine that developmental psychologists, being the scum tha tthey are, will have decided there are stages for ease of reference.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hm, going to contrast normal childhood development with the likes of that "youngest hired killer" article? I mean, one thoughtline could be looking at those sorts of "abnormal" personalities of known and documented criminal/killers of young age and any open source material on that..

That might give you a whole "from whats known about them they were locked in this type of core personality by x age" to explore. But could probably be really depressing when you look at things like the worlds youngest serial killer and the like..

But that probably wouldn't be much help for the general "healthy" kids view...

yes, I think we are working on the assumption - however incorrect - that the child in question is not going possess any aberrant neurological shenanigans.

-Elwood Blues

yes, I think we are working on the assumption - however incorrect - that the child in question is not going possess any aberrant neurological shenanigans.

And just how often do you get to put "shenanigans" in a sentence? I bet that's made your day just for that alone.. >_<

Well , my thought was actually that it might be easier to find a point where that core personality was established if said personality is that extreme. And its likely to be more documented in such cases. Which could then provide you with a basis for when to look at "normal" kids.

With the way kids tend to cluster into cliques and social pressure to conform to groups.. it could be hard to identify specific personality traits as opposed to that general behaving according to peer pressure.

Shenanigans is a great word. I believe Gfted1 used it a while back and I've been trying to put it into use as much as possible ever since.

~

While researching this I came across the theory of communicative action. That we are defined by and through our communications with others. If you read the wiki page there, you will see that Habermas felt that it was through reasoned egalitarian discourse that oppressive social structures could best be combated. Check us out! Mo'f'in freedom fighters up in heah!

-Elwood Blues

In school I spent a decent amount of time with Piaget's stages of child development. It has been a long time since I looked at it though, but when I have the time I'll see if I can find my old book on it.

Thanks Hurlshot. I already read that one!

I've finished the brief now, and can summarise my conclusions:

1. Children begin to develop a sense of identity by the time they can speak, and perhaps as soon as they recognise their parents

2. The development of identity occurs most strongly through interaction with others. In particular primary caregivers.

3. Identity continues to change throughout childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. But extreme divergence from norms in early identity forming is associated with problems in later life.

-Elwood Blues

I have hoarded my college textbooks. So I know I have a book on the subject that I can look up for you. If I remember, which I probably will not, I'll see what I can find later on tonight.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Thanks Hurlshot. I already read that one!

I've finished the brief now, and can summarise my conclusions:

1. Children begin to develop a sense of identity by the time they can speak, and perhaps as soon as they recognise their parents

2. The development of identity occurs most strongly through interaction with others. In particular primary caregivers.

3. Identity continues to change throughout childhood, adolescence, and adulthood. But extreme divergence from norms in early identity forming is associated with problems in later life.

What about temperament? Different children have different tempers, part of their nature and quite possibly the basis of their identity. Methinks you are replacing identity with self awareness.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

What is the purpose of this, if that's not prying? Is your friend having a child?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What is the purpose of this, if that's not prying? Is your friend having a child?

10:1 he's trying to impress the girl form the wedding.

:lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_in_children

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_awarenes...scientific_view

"A sense of personal identity" == self-awareness. If this is not what you're asking, you'll have to elaborate.

Depends in how you define identity, if you think of it as what makes something either the same or different then awareness its not a prerequisite and you are actually born with a sense of identity. Self aware means that awareness of oneself's ; although they describe it as if it were the cognitive equivalent of free will. But one can be without being aware (self deluded/ignorant)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

10:1 he's trying to impress the girl form the wedding.

:lol:

I ain't pretty enough to get smart AND sexy in one girl. :)

My mate is having a few issues surrounding custody and his 'baby mother'. Said 'd try and give him some perspective on the importance of being around for different stages, and what things he could leverage to leave an impact.

-Elwood Blues

I ain't pretty enough to get smart AND sexy in one girl. :ermm:

Let me tell you a secret about being pretty: it doesn't matter :)

village_idiot.gif

I ain't pretty enough to get smart AND sexy in one girl. :p

Let me tell you a secret about being pretty: it doesn't matter ;)

Yes. Yes it does. As evidence I give you the internet.

-Elwood Blues

It's been like the opposite for me. I'm not pretty enough to get the vapid hot ones, just the ones with the complexes about "not being taken seriously". ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Let me tell you a secret about being pretty: it doesn't matter ;)

Yes. Yes it does. As evidence I give you the internet.

I give you evidence. Real life, where you actually have to talk to girls and be funny. Hey if I can get by and get lookers just based on charm I'm sure anyone else can.

Just don't fall on that overly perfect bull that's spread around the net, life it's actually better and weirder.

village_idiot.gif

I think that is more likely due to some combination of money and fame

I could tell some stories involving my hideousness and the beauty of some of the women in my life. But I think that everyone knows someone in their life who scored above their station.

Let's put it this way, love it's not an exact science. There is no sense figuring out why it happens when it does, just get your fear out of the way and go for it.

If it helps women are more excited by hearing than by looks, which explain why the Rolling Stones were able to procreate. Or any other rockstar for that matter. :)

village_idiot.gif