Witcher 2 Again

I just uninstalled it.

I couldn't bear the silly inventory system anymore. Also that stupid magic system with "Aarg" and "Gaarg" and "Faaart" doesn't tell me anything. Can't they just name the spells in plain English?

Alas but lighting bolt hasn't been the same since LARPers :lol:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I just uninstalled it.

I couldn't bear the silly inventory system anymore. Also that stupid magic system with "Aarg" and "Gaarg" and "Faaart" doesn't tell me anything. Can't they just name the spells in plain English?

They changed the inventory system.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Slinky

Right, finished it. Verdict: a good game, but I liked the first one more.

Liked:

- Characters

- Dialog

- Story

- Graphics

Disliked:

- Level design. I prefer the more open levels in TW1 much more than the bloody labyrinth paths in the sequel.

- Inventory. Hopefully it is going to be reworked by the devs or modded better

- Apparently I've should have read the novels before playing, sometimes the game threw so many names and places at me that I was completely lost what the hell they were talking about.

Don't know about the combat, it was great fun at times and really frustrating other times. That was probably just me sucking since I started to like it more and more, especially at the end.

All in all, I found the first one better and more enjoyable as a whole, mostly because I found it's levels and quests better. But I have a strong feeling I'm going to like this one much more on my future second run than I did during my first!

So, would it be fair to summarise that you believed to story to be a good part of the game, in spite of not understanding it? Or because of this? :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Guest Slinky

Not knowing the backgrounds of people and nations, and not understanding the story are different things.

BTW, The witcher 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dragon Age 2, roofles.

Great, NOW you've done it. You fool! :ermm:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not knowing the backgrounds of people and nations, and not understanding the story are different things.

I have a hard time agreeing with that. Well, if the background isn't simple layering, but is actually supposed to have an impact on the characters' motivations.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

They certainly expected people to have played the first game and read the (in-game) books to fully understand the story. But there wasn't that much background that was really needed- perhaps as little as knowing of Brenna alone since 'warring kingdoms of the north fight off powerful empire' largely sets the scene of how the northern kingdoms relate to each other and how they relate to Nilfgard. Most of the characters* are pretty well introduced and developed in game.

*Radovid excepted, knowing the background from TW1 definitely helps there.

*shrug* I forgot a lot of TW1 backstory, never read the books, and felt that you do get confused while playing, but by the end understand enough - i.e. you understand Nilfgard nearly / still can screw everyone over and plays in a different league.

BTW, The witcher 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dragon Age 2, roofles.

Nope. Dragon Age 2 is a fun game, The Witcher 2 (despite its stellar graphics, entirely different second chapter depending on choice and interesting setting) just isn't. And in the end that's all that really matters.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Guest Slinky

Okay.

I found myself disagreeing with you 9/10 times with pretty much everything, so after hours of empirical research I have come to a staggering conclusion that we just like completely different things :lol:

Edited by Slinky

Okay.

I found myself disagreeing with you 9/10 times with pretty much everything, so after hours of empirical research I have come to a staggering conclusion that we just like completely different things :lol:

Come on you're supposed to take some highly offended fanboy stance in response to that. :D

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Phew, that was a close one.

Really? Sorry, I didn't know.

Umm.. Okay, how's this:

Lies! Why are you lying? Stop trolling you liar.

L0LZ!

So what's the verdict on the Witcher 2?

I can't play it and most of my friends say the atmosphere and story aren't as good as the first time around, but the gameplay is supposedly better.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Guest Slinky

I wrote a little list of things I liked/disliked in the previous page, last post. There aren't any spoilers in that page so check it out.

I liked the story, but the atmosphere is indeed not as great as in the first game which is a shame.

So what's the verdict on the Witcher 2?

I would love to have given you an informed opinion, but the game was/is so boring that I didn't make it past the prologue :lol:

I'll probably end up uninstalling it and write it off as a loss. It's trying too hard to be "contemporary" (interpret that as you will).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I would love to have given you an informed opinion, but the game was/is so boring that I didn't make it past the prologue :lol:

I'll probably end up uninstalling it and write it off as a loss. It's trying too hard to be "contemporary" (interpret that as you will).

Well damn, that is pretty bad.

Edited by Malcador

No great surprise there, they couldn't really do a BGII scale improvement with Witcher 2. In fact it sounds just like I was expecting it to be, better in the quantifiable stuff (graphics, choices etc.) and worse in the unquantifiable (atmosphere etc.).

I always felt The Witcher was a one shot thing. A great game, but without enough space to improve for a drastically superior sequel. I still respect CDProjekt for listening to old school fans and critics, unlike some developers I know.

I'll play it some day. When I get a new PC.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Well damn, that is pretty bad.

Visually its very good; Doors in the game are a bit awkward, but not too bad. I don't personally like the changes to combat or item use ~That really screws up the game play IMO. Dialog is improved (based on what I've seen so far). The minigames are... eh.. passable and with some neat parts, but I don't much care for the timed button icons that flash on to the screen.... It ruins the event by directing your attention elsewhere (at the buttons).

A clip that I made the first day:

I mainly stopped playing the game because of the horrible horrible UI, mainly the inventory.

God how could they come up with such an atrocity?

Other then that, the game seemed to be unremarkable. Very pretty, but not really gripping.

I have paused at the Kraken thing, but I plan to play the game through.

I agree... The UI is beyond bad.

Edited by Gizmo

I don't care if a game has a bad inventory system or not, that's really beneath noticing when it comes to total impression to me. I stopped playing as well though. It lacked... something, I don't know what, and it was too hard even on normal. Also I didn't relish the idea of waiting until the game was near over until I had most of the combat moves. I don't want to be a lv. 1. anything again.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.