Plenescape: Torment remake

If it was possible  

38 members have voted

1. 1. you want to buy it?

• yeah!
    • No!

Remake: No point. Graphics were never and never will be important when talking about Torment.

Sequel: Level 30 character in blood war(or whatever it was called) killing demons like goblins... color me uninterested.

Another game in the same setting: Sure why not.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Absolutely not! Torment is such a wonderful game and story. Tremendous emotional impact would be utterly lost in a remake.

What's the difference between "there", "their" and "they're"?   Apparently, none.     :huh:  

I voted in the affirmative but only if it is made by bethesda because only todd howard could do it justice.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It was the setting and quality of the work which made PST superb. Plus a willingness to focus game play on story and not punching everything in sight.

Now, stop and think for a second. Do you REALLY think that console gamers are going to pump their bucks into such a game?

Such a game might make money. But putting assets into that game, rather than seeking a mass market game would be commercially retarded. At least in terms of first and second order dynamics. There MIGHT be some sort of payoff in establishing a studio's brand, and fan loyalty/fan kudos. But I doubt it would justify the expense.

Ironically such a payoff would be less valuable for someone like Obsidian, who already have gold standard classics in their brand.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Now, stop and think for a second. Do you REALLY think that console gamers are going to pump their bucks into such a game?

Sure, why not?

Heavy Rain & LA Noire are two examples of story-driven console games that did or are doing alright.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Sure, why not?

Heavy Rain & LA Noire are two examples of story-driven console games that did or are doing alright.

I don't think any of these got the hype for beeing storydriven.

Absolutely not! Torment is such a wonderful game and story. Tremendous emotional impact would be utterly lost in a remake.

How do you figure?

I DO NOT WANT A REMAKE.

I want a spiritual successor. No, wait. I want a spiritual predecessor! I want something so good that it inspired PS:T.

MotB already exists...

There are elements of the game I have hard time appreciating today. So I wouldn't really want a remake. It'd not be too identifiable with the original. I would not object to a sequel, direct or indirect.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Got to agree with purkake. Mask of the Betrayer was IMO a spiritual successor. Had lots of tips of the hat, and general planes related shenanigans.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hard to say... very hard to say. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing such a thing in a modern engine with newer dialogue systems and a more sophisticated score and party interactions. The game was way ahead of its time in terms of party depth, and seeing the characters fleshed out in ways they were just begging to be would be very nice. I also long for a more complete ending. The Fortress of Regrets was amazing, but it seemed a bit off pace compared to the events that led up to it. For example, why didn't Morte have some kind of confrontation with The Transcendent One? I suppose playing dead makes sense for him, but that was an odd move for the most important side character to play.

At the same time, I have a feeling that a lot would be lost through the game. Some of the magic of the experience was in its limited narrative style. The models were far more advanced than the ones in Baldur's Gate, so you got a feel for how they looked, but there was still enough removed from the visuals and replaced in the dialogue box to allow your imagination to fill in a lot of gaps. Not to mention the score adding a great deal to what sort of interactions you assumed you were having. The score assistance while speaking to Fall-From-Grace for the first time really sticks out as an example. Would even a simple change of perspective take a lot of feel from the game, despite bringing it to a modern age? I don't know.

Either way, I would love to see another game in the same world. These deep, mysterious stories that rock you to your core never get old. Always too few of them.

Could it not be a PC exclusive? The Witcher did alright, IIRC... errr, even though I never finished it, myself.

Anyway, I played Torment 20 times or more when it was originally released. I used a walkthrough and rushed through the last 1/3 of Baldur's Gate just so I could uninstall it and make room for Torment on my hard drive (as I type this I have 3 USB memory sticks sitting on my desk, each of which has 2-3 times the storage capacity of that hard drive. sigh). I couldn't get enough of Torment, and still rank it in my top five games, if not the top game, ever.

Having said that, Torment was a day one purchase when GOG added it to their catalogue, and after some minor hoop-jumping I got the game to work in high-res, widescreen, blah blah blah, and relished another run-thru... for awhile. Truth is, gaming has passed Torment by, at least in presentation. If it were actually possible to remake Torment as it was, at least storywise, characterwise, and with weirdness factor intact, optimized with some gaming engine from today, (whichever works best), I'd be ecstatic. Yes please.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

OK. My question would be:

1. If adapting it is such a simple task, why don't fans do it?

2. If it is actually quite a complex task, then what could those assets be doing instead?

-Elwood Blues

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say there is something charming about the old graphics. I miss the days when character sprites looked like low-res clay figurines...

"To be, or not to be a real RPG, that is the question.

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows

or outrageous action... or by taking up arms against a sea of crap and by opposing: end them."