main difference between russia and usa

obyknven

The Raptor and the Eurofighter are the last hurahh for air superiority fighters, yes ?

probable... but we has heard that since f-16 and f-15 days too. nevertheless, we tend to agree with gorgon. that being said, what we knows is a product o' reading too much jane's and some familial relations with current and former navy and marine pilots.

btw, for calax, the bulk o' soviet interceptors were fast and less than agile, but keeps in mind that the term gets used wrong frequent. is nothing preventing an interceptor from being agile. is limited mission design that makes for definition o' interceptor.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

don't confuse dogfighting with fighter. is not the same.

HA! Good Fun!

Notice the use of "Was a dogfighter" rather than "was/is a fighter". Meaning it wasn't called that classification, but was known for dogfighting. I don't think any aircraft currently used is actually referred to as a "dogfighter" and are instead just called fighters.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

don't confuse dogfighting with fighter. is not the same.

HA! Good Fun!

Notice the use of "Was a dogfighter" rather than "was/is a fighter". Meaning it wasn't called that classification, but was known for dogfighting. I don't think any aircraft currently used is actually referred to as a "dogfighter" and are instead just called fighters.

then, am not sure of your point. not that it genuine matters. regardless o' nomenclature, the russians ain't built a fighter o' any flavor that could even compete with the west's best since the early 1970's, and the last time the russians/soviet had a clear winner were the mig-15... which were still (technically) a first generation fighter aircraft. heck, the current russian aircraft being discussed is being compared to an american plane that first flew in 1990 and went into production in the late 90's. for those not holding a calender, the current year is 2011.

btw, we thinks that the sukhoi pak fa can be an excellent option for india, south korea and others who do not need (or cannot afford) the extravagance o' the raptor. am not sure what kinda profit russia is looking at per unit, but anything they can do to diversify from their current dependence on natural resource export is a good thing.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

They should have a particularly spindly aircraft known as a catfighter.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

They should have a particularly spindly aircraft known as a catfighter.

problematic:

"going for the throat" is kewl... pilots like kewl. am suspecting that "pulling her hair," and "scratching out her eyes," will never enter pilot vernacular.

HA! Good Fun!

problematic:

"going for the throat" is kewl... pilots like kewl. am suspecting that "pulling her hair," and "scratching out her eyes," will never enter pilot vernacular.

HA! Good Fun!

Ive read thats the exact reason that the F-117 is black. Even though black is not the best color for visually blending into the sky (light blue is) they still went with a black coating because the light blue isnt very manly.

Well they are almost certainly the last generation of manned fighters.

I very much doubt it. Unmanned may be fine for the drone's current role of cheap and cheerful ground attack but the idea of some sort of centralised control for air to air combat fighters? Too prone to ECM, too little situational awareness/ more ephemeral 'feel' and instinct aspects, too much latency. Not to mention that the idea of having aircraft basically stop working if their control centre is destroyed strikes me as a terrible idea- damage a carrier and all its aircraft drop out of the sky/ go into some sort of holding pattern/ nuke a chunk of the Nevada desert and suddenly a third of the airforce is unusable/ take out the satellites and effectively ground the entire airforce. And there's no realistic prospect of wholly independent combat robots in the near future (or pretty much ever, imo) as you simply cannot program for all the vagaries of combat.

They've already basically ditched the F22's gen of fighters... at least in terms of getting new ones.

Honestly, I'm just hoping that Gates proposed cost changes (he's changing how the DoD creates projects so they aren't outrageous amounts of sums) go into effect and stay there.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I very much doubt it. Unmanned may be fine for the drone's current role of cheap and cheerful ground attack but the idea of some sort of centralised control for air to air combat fighters? Too prone to ECM, too little situational awareness/ more ephemeral 'feel' and instinct aspects, too much latency. Not to mention that the idea of having aircraft basically stop working if their control centre is destroyed strikes me as a terrible idea- damage a carrier and all its aircraft drop out of the sky/ go into some sort of holding pattern/ nuke a chunk of the Nevada desert and suddenly a third of the airforce is unusable/ take out the satellites and effectively ground the entire airforce. And there's no realistic prospect of wholly independent combat robots in the near future (or pretty much ever, imo) as you simply cannot program for all the vagaries of combat.

part o' the problem is that the aircraft has finally reached a performance level whereby the pilots is a limit on their efficacy. am not thinking we is talking 'bout wholly unmanned aircraft anytime in the new future, but is more likely than coming up with a new generation o' fighters... is no more great leap in fighter craft design 'cause the pilots simply cannot handle another serious leap in performance; you cannot improve the planes without also improving the pilots. major refinements o' avionics and weapons is gonna continue, but most indicators suggest that this is the last generation o' manned fighters.

but again, much o' this talk is very familiar to folks who lived during the 70's and 80's.

HA! Good Fun!

part o' the problem is that the aircraft has finally reached a performance level whereby the pilots is a limit on their efficacy. am not thinking we is talking 'bout wholly unmanned aircraft anytime in the new future, but is more likely than coming up with a new generation o' fighters... is no more great leap in fighter craft design 'cause the pilots simply cannot handle another serious leap in performance; you cannot improve the planes without also improving the pilots. major refinements o' avionics and weapons is gonna continue, but most indicators suggest that this is the last generation o' manned fighters.

I'm also thinking that it's possible to come up with systems to circumvent the vulnerabilities arising from remote, centralized C3 setups, but unless genetics and drugs make a quantum leap in the next ten years, there's just no way to have human pilots come closer to the performance of machines. Also, considering the costs of pilot training and the risk of loss in combat, it stands to reason that officials would seek ways to make sure that as much of the investment as possible isn't directly in the line of fire. This seems to be one of those instances where technology does away with hard human limits and substitutes with a management question that can be solved easily by the Harvard crowd.

Also, doctrines evolve, though not at the same pace as tech does. Air superiority as a role for specialized aircraft may be on its way to obsolescence, as happened to heavy and night fighters and, to a lesser extent, interceptors. Drones armed with guided munitions seem to have also phased out dedicated ground attack aircraft such as the A-10... but who knows what war against someone with credible AA would look like, today. At any rate, the Raptor and especially the F-35 look to me like the bloated, wasteful proof that US officials and brass are, as usual, "fighting the last war". And of course <rant about the MIC>

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I really don't see any alternative to using unmanned vehicles in air warfare. Cheaper, faster, less politically sensitive, no s&r... the list goes on.

I guess the only small problem is that it becomes very hard to explain culpability when that missile hits the orphanage.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Multiple systems? Different architectures?

Take your point though. But I still think the cost and effectiveness improvements are the bottom line in an era of mach4 SAMs etc.

-Elwood Blues

You could hand your entire air force over to the enemy were they able to bull it off.

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong by fully automating your defenses?... as long as you keep the design document safe that is :ermm:

battlestargalacticacyloe.jpg

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Defence people probably have nightmares about getting Stuxnet'ed as it stands. The presumption has to be made that you aren't always going to be fighting insurgents and 3rd tier tinpots but may at some point have to fight someone with decent resources and a reasonable plan to counter your advantages. It's all well and good taking the limitations of meatbags into consideration but you also have to take the limitations of technology into account too.

And for anyone thinking that hacking is impossible or unlikely, check out Hezbollah's counter to the charges it was behind Rafik Hariri's assassination. They'd hacked Israeli drones' video feeds, and they have a minute fraction of the resources of, say, China.

They've already basically ditched the F22's gen of fighters... at least in terms of getting new ones.

And the justification of that decision was simple: There really isn't any prospect of a U.S. rival getting anything in the air in the next decade or two that can come close to competing with the planes we've already ordered/built (i.e., the 180-some F-22s we didn't cancel, the F-35s they're still working on, and the legacy fighters we currently have).

The Air Force is very stubborn about its fighter wings. Over the past 50 years, the easiest path to high command in the USAF has been via being a fighter pilot and commanding a fighter wing. Thus, most of the high uniformed officials in the AF are former fighter pilots, and have a lot of loyalty to that segment of the force. Despite the disappearance of the strategic need for lots of air-to-air capacity, they kept ordering more fighter jets and resisting the rise of unmanned drones.