Lead Game Designers!

Calax

EA has some good LD for their sports games as well. :)

ahahahaha :huh: priceless

Do you play sports games?

Because your comment shows a serious lack of insight on their development. Most of the EA big sport's games go through a crazy development cycle and manage to release a high quality game year in and year out. Each IP is different, but the Madden series and the NHL series implement remarkable changes over the course of 1-2 releases.

I've personally been of the opinion that his comments show a serious lack of insight, in general. :)

And yes, I'm having male PMS again, before someone asks.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

"ahahahaha priceless "

I think the others countered you magnificiantly. You ar eobvious ignorant to how sports games are developed. Theya rne't just slapped together. RPGs are not the only genre where the LD plays a major important role. You need a good head honcho to get things done espciially since EA sports game tend to have majorly short cycles. You have to be able to improve the game without changing it so much that people who enjoyed last year's edition get turned off.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, they're at least competent then.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guest Slinky
Besides Obsidian devs like Fergus, Sawyer & Avellone I follow John Carmack of id Software. The guy makes rocket ships in his spare time for crying out loud so when he talks about gaming trends I try to listen, even though he can be very dry.

Carmac is the man when it comes to programming, but I doubt he is that great otherwise.

Peter Molyneux is only good at comming up with ideas about peripheral and irrelevant game features like "trees growing in real-time!" and "if you push Y you get to watch a cutscene!"

Didn't he come up with Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper? Because those are seriously two of my favourite games ever.

Peter Molyneux is only good at comming up with ideas about peripheral and irrelevant game features like "trees growing in real-time!" and "if you push Y you get to watch a cutscene!"

Didn't he come up with Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper? Because those are seriously two of my favourite games ever.

I know he did Dungeon Keeper, not sure about the other one.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Populous too. Heh, wonder where my PCG is with all the "Game Gods" in them. Had Carmack, Newell, etc. but others not -as- big like Roberta Williams, Kroger.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You ar eobvious ignorant to how sports games are developed.

fixed :sorcerer:

I'm sorry, I didn't know this was a forum for aspiring game developers. I thought the point of discussions was to, ugh, find the truth? anyway, do tell me what is it that designers do...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

You ar eobvious ignorant to how sports games are developed.

fixed :sorcerer:

I'm sorry, I didn't know this was a forum for aspiring game developers. I thought the point of discussions was to, ugh, find the truth? anyway, do tell me what is it that designers do...

They design stuff... duh. :sorcerer:

Peter was lucky to be surrounded by some very clever people, you think he sat down and came up with it on his own? No... It doesn't work like that, and he doesn't even speak about it that way either.

Peter seems to have done a good job of remembering he's gotten where he is, with other peoples help. Like in his Bafta speech.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Populous too. Heh, wonder where my PCG is with all the "Game Gods" in them. Had Carmack, Newell, etc. but others not -as- big like Roberta Williams, Kroger.

Glenn Corpes wrote most of the Populous engine, Peter was the guy that took it and made a game from it.

What games has Avellone been LD on

PS:T, KOTOR 2, AP, BG:DA

He wasn't Lead on BG:DA. Level Designer on that one.

Edit: Also he was Lead on Descent to Undermountain. (Though to be fair he came in late on that one and still regrets to be involved in it.)

Mobygames also lists him under Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. This can't be true, can it?

Tip: If you check Mobygames for developers, ALWAYS!!!!! check the credits. Not only the development team gets mentioned in the credits of a game. Don't forget that. In the case of F:BOS he was mentioned under "special thanks".

Edited by C2B

Edit: Also he was Lead on Descent to Undermountain. (Though to be fair he came in late on that one and still regrets to be involved in it.)

Mobygames also lists him under Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. This can't be true, can it?

Tip: If you check Mobygames for developers, ALWAYS!!!!! check the credits. Not only the development team gets mentioned in the credits of a game. Don't forget that. In the case of F:BOS he was mentioned under "special thanks".

Mobygames isn't realiable really... Infact, the credits list for most games will be missing a fair few people.

Mobygames isn't realiable really... Infact, the credits list for most games will be missing a fair few people.

Its still pretty reliable for most devs and well known games. (At least as reliable as an internet platform can be)

Also I never came across something that was really wrong listed so far. Just stuff missing or non-specefied.

Edited by C2B

Shigeru Miyamoto. Speaking Objectively.

Yasumi Matsuno:

Ogre Battle

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together

Final Fantasy Tactics

Vagrant Story

Final Fantasy XII

A few other folks from Sqaresoft/SquareEnix.

Obsidian's lead designers must also be doing something right, because I enjoy their rpgs more than any other.

There are lots more, but the list would become too big.

Its still pretty reliable for most devs and well known games. (At least as reliable as an internet platform can be)

Also I never came across something that was really wrong listed so far. Just stuff missing or non-specefied.

Basically its incomplete, the only MobyGames profiles that are complete tend to be the ones the developers have filled in themselves, so to speak.

It's much like the Metacritic credits thing, but certainly more reliable than that system.

Well known popular developers like Cliffy B, or John Carmack, they'll be accurate sure... The ants on the ground that do the actual work, its a mixed bag. Why? Because the credits themselves aren't always a reflection of actually whos worked on something. I've touched on this before.

Anyway - Its good enough, I suppose, but it shouldn't be taken as being 100% accurate.