The Witcher 2

Game supports Xbox 360 controller for Windows.

ZOMG, consolised crap!

(you guys are slacking, I have to do it for you, now?)

:(

More seriously though, not surprised after seeing the combat gameplay. Can't say it's exactly a step back after the mechanic in W1, which resulted me in uninstalling after five minutes and cursing the steam sales. I still think I should give it another chance, but... :(

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I moved up from straw, I fight cardboard ones now.

Uninstalled the game JUST because of the combat being as simple as it was ? High standards! :(

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Seriously, how anyone can criticize TW1's combat is beyond me, its a ****ing auto attack with a few added options to make it more interesting. Its just as sophisticated as any RPG where you lead a solo character, neither much better or much worse. It worked for you in 90% of the RPG's ever released, and you never complained about it.

The game doesn't even feature all that much combat.

Certainly less than the mind numbing tedium of DA. Or ME's waist high wall arcade shoot em up (previously seen in Space Invaders).

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Uninstalled the game JUST because of the combat being as simple as it was ? High standards! :(

More like taking any excuse to confirm my negative bias. Sound familiar to you? :(

Witcher 2 is an incredibly good-looking game, though. Too bad this rig won't be running it. :)

Edited by Nepenthe

More like taking any excuse to confirm my negative bias. Sound familiar to you? :(

I think you've confused me with someone else on the forum.

Oh what a way to get back at 'those' people, though, eh?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think you've confused me with someone else on the forum.

Oh what a way to get back at 'those' people, though, eh?

If I was writing just to you, I'd use a PM. I assume you're an intelligent person with at least one functioning eye. :(

Yeah, I better put on another layer of foil wrap, just to be sure.

If I was writing just to you, I'd use a PM. I assume you're an intelligent person with at least one functioning eye. :(

Actually quoting me, then using 'you' seemed somewhat indicative. So what's turning you off from playing Witcher 2 ?

Actually quoting me, then using 'you' seemed somewhat indicative. So what's turning you off from playing Witcher 2 ?

The implication was that you might have noticed a simllar phenomenon.

The spex would be the most honest answer, if it were to run in the first place, it would be a total slide show. A good friend of mine is a huge Witcher fan, and he keeps trying to persuade me to give 1 another chance. I just have a colossal barrier against PC gaming, I currently spend about 12 hours a day hunched over a computer for work, I just can't do it for an extended period when I'm not working (which is why I snipe on FB or a forum or two and then amble off again). Some games I can rig so that I can do sofapcing, others I can't. Initial impression was that Witcher wasn't doable. A small part is just general cussedness, a counter-reaction to all the fawning the game gets. :(

The game looks really nice and atmospheric (like the first one did) but there is a lot of stuff that have to be improved from the first game in order for this to be enjoyable. Hope they can do it because it'd be a shame to waste the well-realized setting.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The spex would be the most honest answer, if it were to run in the first place, it would be a total slide show. A good friend of mine is a huge Witcher fan, and he keeps trying to persuade me to give 1 another chance. I just have a colossal barrier against PC gaming, I currently spend about 12 hours a day hunched over a computer for work, I just can't do it for an extended period when I'm not working (which is why I snipe on FB or a forum or two and then amble off again). Some games I can rig so that I can do sofapcing, others I can't. Initial impression was that Witcher wasn't doable. A small part is just general cussedness, a counter-reaction to all the fawning the game gets. :(

Ah ok, thought there was something actually in the game other than its platform restrictions that had you turned off it.

Ah ok, thought there was something actually in the game other than its platform restrictions that had you turned off it.

He also swings the other way and TW doesn't offer any options in that regard.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Now now, that's uncalled for. :( He might flounce again.

Glad to see that, in spite of my ignore, Boo is still classy. :(

Glad to see that, in spite of my ignore, Boo is still classy. :(

Always, my dear lawyer, always.

posh-hamster-wallpaper.jpg

logosig2.jpg

Real Internet Men don't use ignore.

I'm replaying and lost count of how many barghests I had to kill in the first chapter alone. At least in this game it makes sense for them to spawn out of thin air.

Next up, there's the swamps... and its legions of drowners and bloedzuigers. Luckily the combat is pretty fast-paced or it would become tedious very quickly.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

the witcher was one of the first rpg's i played where the combat immediately and negatively influenced my opinion of the game. I overall thought it was a good rpg, and well worth the time, but the combat was very stinky.

i'd say it was as stinky as DAO's combat, but for different reasons. Then again, the number of rpg's with really fun combat I can probably count on one hand so... its not something I really worry about when playing rpg's, unless the game has too much combat in it (see DAO).

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I haven't encountered better third-person combat than in Severance: Blade of Darkness. Gothic/Risen's the only RPG that at least tries to somewhat emulate it.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Like Boo, I don't really understand how anyone could be negatively affected by the Witcher's combat.

WHile it was not terribly complex or deep, it was fast paced, over quickly, and reasonably interactive, much more so than say anything Bethesda has done.

There was a nice mix of melee, potion use, bomb use, and signs that added a bit of complexity.

While there was a lot of potential for grindy combat, most of that was optional: sure you could wander through the swamp hacking up drowned dead and bloedzuigers, but a great deal of that was completely unneccesary to follow the main quest or even most of the side quests.

The Witcher was much more a dialogue-focused rpg than is common these days.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Like Boo, I don't really understand how anyone could be negatively affected by the Witcher's combat.

WHile it was not terribly complex or deep, it was fast paced, over quickly, and reasonably interactive, much more so than say anything Bethesda has done.

There was a nice mix of melee, potion use, bomb use, and signs that added a bit of complexity.

While there was a lot of potential for grindy combat, most of that was optional: sure you could wander through the swamp hacking up drowned dead and bloedzuigers, but a great deal of that was completely unneccesary to follow the main quest or even most of the side quests.

The Witcher was much more a dialogue-focused rpg than is common these days.

The biggest complain one could have about the combat would be that it wasn't as versatile as it should be. There are only 2 truly useful signs, potions are actually very useful but in the end everything boils down to melee. But it was overall, quite complex but could be played very simply. Strongest point of the game.

Gerald still looks like albino monkey's ass, though.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Eh, the combat in The Witcher is basically Dance Dance RPG-- click in rhythm when the cursor lights up. Between that and making sure that you pick the right "style" for whatever you're facing, there isn't much to it. And walking through the whole of the swamp area even once (not optional) passes my threshold for "unnecessarily grindy."

As for the sequel, I'm pretty ambivalent about the original (my reasons for liking the portions of it that I got through are pretty balanced with my reasons for disliking it), and my CPU is (just barely) below the minimum specs. So I'll revisit whether it's a worthwhile title to grab sometime in the future.

And walking through the whole of the swamp area even once (not optional) passes my threshold for "unnecessarily grindy."

Depends on how you feel about swamps :w00t:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And walking through the whole of the swamp area even once (not optional) passes my threshold for "unnecessarily grindy."

Depends on how you feel about swamps :w00t:

What is it with swamps and grindy RPG combat, anyway? The Witcher, NWN 2 (SoZ, too), Wizardry 8, and various Might & Magic games all featured swampy areas whose chief characteristic was trying the player's patience with waves of repetitive fights.

I'm replaying and lost count of how many barghests I had to kill in the first chapter alone. At least in this game it makes sense for them to spawn out of thin air.

Next up, there's the swamps... and its legions of drowners and bloedzuigers. Luckily the combat is pretty fast-paced or it would become tedious very quickly.

Swamps wasn't so bad, eventually you can avoid most of the mobs. Then again I only went there in the day, so maybe that was it. But yeah, there's a fair amount of slashy slashy in Act I, II and V.