Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

The better textures etc. are nice (altho the basic "look" of the world isn't different/exciting to me, really they all start to look the same) but all I care about right now is how it plays on the PC.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

nevermind...

misread...

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

i think it looks significantly better. not as big a leap as from morrowind to oblivion, but thats ok, even the graphics in oblivion are "good enough" for me, so the better graphics for skyrim are just gravy.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i think it looks significantly better. not as big a leap as from morrowind to oblivion, but thats ok, even the graphics in oblivion are "good enough" for me, so the better graphics for skyrim are just gravy.

Oh aye, the graphics are better (texture detail and lighting effects I'm sure too) etc....

For me I just mean that every fantasy game world looks similar. You have the grass, the tree lined paths, the lakes surrounded by big rocks, all with the same kind of graphic "look" to them (because that's the tech of the day). They tend to blur together after a while.

Edit: don't mean to sound like a stick in the mud. I've seen the videos & the dragons and mammoths etc. all look awesome. But I'm typically more interested in gameplay info. Like the console GUI...I hope they're either not annoying on the PC or at least highly remappable (looks towards DS3, ahem :shifty: ).

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"The demo is not scripted!"

Well, I thought Todd told already that it was scripted (at least the dragon part).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7) Will we be able to have relationships with the NPCs, romantic or otherwise?

Bruce: Absolutely! You make friends with people by doing things for them. Friends in the game will treat you differently. Some of them will even agree to go with you into dungeons and on adventures. You can even get married. If you own a house, your spouse will move in with you.

If there's same-sex and/or furry/scaly marriage, BioWare just got owned.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Heh. Its amusing how half of the questions go "No, it'll be more like Oblivion than Morrowind."

Just like Dragon Age 2, the initial hype wave got to me but I'm glad they're spilling all these unpromising details, it makes it really easy not to expect anything. :-

I dunno.

I still think Skyrim looks reasonably promising, even given Beth's pr history. Basically it's Oblivion improved with some of the things Bethie learned from Fallout 3.

I mean, I really couldn't stand Oblivion, but I'm mildly anticipating Skyrim. I didn't really read anything in the fan interview that I felt was particularly a negative. I fundamentally disagree with some core rpg concepts that Bethie seems to value highly, and I'm not expecting that to change with Skyrim, but I see a good deal of positives.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

True. Let me clarify - I remember waiting to get my grubby hands on Oblivion the first day, having played Morrowind. Despite the train wreck Oblivion was, Morrowind is still enough to get me excited about TES. Now I just relax and say "I might get it, I might not".

Certainly, the incredible thing about Oblivion was that although it had a LOT of design flaws everywhere, it was still a very fun game for a while, and could have been a very credible game with only a few factors adjusted (level design fixed, join-every-guild adjusted, Oblivion Gates scrapped). If they focus a lot more this time on actually making interesting situations in that open world without atrociously written handheld sequences (i.e. less Dark Brotherhood, more pirate ship assassination)...

Hm. I don't see anything remarkably negative or positive in that interview. eg, it sounds a bit bland to me too.

"Like Oblivion" "Like Fo3" ... since I haven't played Fo3 can't comment and since I found Oblivion boring/never came close to finishing, those repeated phrases don't exactly make me wet my pants.

The "encounter zones" that could be higher/lower than your level sound potentially interesting.

Item/skill changes...always hard to say until you play the game & see how the work in reality vs. on paper.

The PC version also gets higher res textures, larger render modes, and a bunch of other effects you can scale up if your machine is a beast.

I like this, since if I buy it'll be PC version.

64-bit specific exe? Not at this time.

Boo. But ultimately not exactly important. ;)

Last but most important, is the Creation Kit we?ll be releasing for the PC.

Without this I probably wouldn't even consider it at full price. If I can mod things I don't like "out" to some degree, or put some in, it goes a long way. Assuming the mod program is at least semi-user friendly of course (eg no worse than GECK).

Skyrim looks like it will be Oblivion like it should have been.

I think it's definitely a possibility. I do think Bethesda learned a lot in the process of making Oblivion and then Fallout 3.

Just the fact that they are making big changes to the skill/leveling system is good news to me. The new system may not work, but at least they seem to understand how messed up the previous system was and are trying to fix it up.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The armor system is very similar to Oblivion?s. The main difference is that the upper and lower body armors, the cuirass and greaves, have been combined into one piece. This helps create armor styles that have the look we needed for Skyrim.

Armor stuff even more dumped down. :shifty:

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The armor system is very similar to Oblivion?s. The main difference is that the upper and lower body armors, the cuirass and greaves, have been combined into one piece. This helps create armor styles that have the look we needed for Skyrim.

Armor stuff even more dumped down. :p

Yeah I'm slightly bummed about that, most of the other stuff sounds reasonable if unexciting.

I assume the marriages will be a flavour thing like sabotaging a woodmill, god forbid Bethesda try and write a deep Argonian romance quest, could be good for the lulz though :shifty:

Leave the scrounging for different armour pieces just to get a full set bonus for Diablo & Divinity series. Not to mention there isn't any locational damage incorporated in the first place, so why bother.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I wonder if anyone will ever pick up the open ended RPG banner one day. Daggerfall's basic design was a great basic structure to build upon.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Bruce: Absolutely! You make friends with people by doing things for them. Friends in the game will treat you differently. Some of them will even agree to go with you into dungeons and on adventures. You can even get married. If you own a house, your spouse will move in with you.

I doubt we'll be able to have a threesome with a bisexual pirate and a Spanish elf. BioWare has nothing to worry about.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I doubt we'll be able to have a threesome with a bisexual pirate and a Spanish elf. BioWare has nothing to worry about.

That's nothing compared to what's out there on the Oblivion/FO3 modding scene, or if you can read Japanese.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif