Deus Ex 3

@Calax

Well, rationing ammo means there's a possibility you might run out. I never got into that situation because I was careful about using it efficiently.

The IW engine wasn't botched, they just didn't polish the game as it should've been. The same engine was used for Thief: DS with good results, except with a lot of glitches still. And they really made it work well in Project Snowblind, which was one of the best looking, smoothest running and having the most characters on-screen games at the time.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

What would be a better game?

I don't know. WHat generation are we talking about it? I'm not sure what it's contemporaries are. I'm trying to remember what other games I played around the same time, but those years are all rather hazy at this point.

IIRC, Thief: Deadly Shadows was released right around that time and was much, much better.

edit: wikipedia says IW was released dec 2003 and thief:DS may of 2004 so that's pretty close. What else was released around that time?

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The problem with DX:IW wasn't Harvey Smith, the problem was the botched engine.

how do you figure that? couldn't handle complex scripts or big areas or something?

DX 1 looks dated for a 2000 game (even Half-Life looked better, though it had smaller maps), and the enemies' AI is awful.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

@Calax

Well, rationing ammo means there's a possibility you might run out. I never got into that situation because I was careful about using it efficiently.

The IW engine wasn't botched, they just didn't polish the game as it should've been. The same engine was used for Thief: DS with good results, except with a lot of glitches still. And they really made it work well in Project Snowblind, which was one of the best looking, smoothest running and having the most characters on-screen games at the time.

Snowblind didn't use that engine, as it was developed by Crystal Dynamics, not by Ion Storm.

Thief was a bit better, but still ****. They should have just used the UE 2 as it was, it would have allowed bigger levels.

Project Snowblind was actually fairly decent for what it was. I mean that was originally designed as a much more FPS spin-off from Deus Ex, but with the crash and burn of DE:IW they decided to take it as a seperate game and universe.

It might have been much more combat geared, but they did try to keep a certain amount of "multiple paths" within that.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I don't know. WHat generation are we talking about it? I'm not sure what it's contemporaries are. I'm trying to remember what other games I played around the same time, but those years are all rather hazy at this point.

IIRC, Thief: Deadly Shadows was released right around that time and was much, much better.

I thought DS was actually very similar in quality, but yes, that one even tops IW. The environments were far more beautiful, the setting and story more interesting, and the stealth mechanics much better. But it was more linear, not an RPG, pretty much had only one solution to each level, and stealth was the only really viable mechanic.

The generation for me would be the time of the original Xbox, so 2001-2005.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The problem with DX:IW wasn't Harvey Smith, the problem was the botched engine.

how do you figure that? couldn't handle complex scripts or big areas or something?

DX 1 looks dated for a 2000 game (even Half-Life looked better, though it had smaller maps), and the enemies' AI is awful.

The problem back then was that Epic games didn't support Unreal Tech for consoles officially. UE 2 was a PC engine only, so they had to heavily modify it to also run on the Xbox. They told the programmer to implement dynamical shadows, but instead, he rewrote the entire engine and then left the company, leaving the designers with a botched engine.

Harvey Smith was also the lead designer on DX1, and generally speaking, I think he's a smart guy and favors "immersive First-person expieriences" over Doom clones.

He's currently the head at Arkane Studios Austin and working on something cool. I can't wait.

They told the programmer to implement dynamical shadows, but instead, he rewrote the entire engine and then left the company

:teehee: I'm surprised the game came out at all

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

@Calax

Snowblind didn't use that engine, as it was developed by Crystal Dynamics, not by Ion Storm.

Thief was a bit better, but still ****. They should have just used the UE 2 as it was, it would have allowed bigger levels.

I'm sure Snowblind used the same engine, Crystal Dynamics and Ion Storm both belonged to Eidos. The whole point of Snowblind was to make more of a shooter game using the same engine as IW.

too bad you guys don't like spoilers. I'd love to discuss the first chapter of DXHR and what mechanics came from what games :teehee:

Walsingham said:

I thought DS was actually very similar in quality, but yes, that one even tops IW. The environments were far more beautiful, the setting and story more interesting, and the stealth mechanics much better. But it was more linear, not an RPG, pretty much had only one solution to each level, and stealth was the only really viable mechanic.

The generation for me would be the time of the original Xbox, so 2001-2005.

I guess if one considers IW a console game first and a pc game second then maybe it has more to recommend it in comparison to similar games. Back in those days, I don't think consoles hadn't seen many games like IW, whereas the pc had them, well at least as far back as System Shock 1 which was what, 1994?

SImilar to how maybe Halo wasn't really all that special from a pc point of view but was pretty important to the development of gaming on the console.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

too bad you guys don't like spoilers. I'd love to discuss the first chapter of DXHR and what mechanics came from what games :(

It's pirates that aren't liked, not spoilers. Maybe you should petition the administration for a "pirate" tag for your discussions?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

meh, I watched it on youtube, I don't feel like a "pirate" because of that

Walsingham said:

Nevertheless, please do not link to or quote impressions/information from the leak - we will err on the side of caution here. :)

never intended to post links :)

Edited by Tigranes
Naughty sorophyx. Spank spank.
Walsingham said:

People are talking about it openly on their forums the last time I checked, so go there (mind you, the audience there are fans so it's tainted anyway).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

the audience there are fans so it's tainted anyway

you mean Eidos forums? this could be interesting :)

Walsingham said:

the audience there are fans so it's tainted anyway

you mean Eidos forums? this could be interesting :)

Yeah for the most part it's accepted, is some moral outrage about using a leaked previwer's copy every now and then.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

actually I remember instances where the publishers would leak their games themselves to build up hype or w/e (was it HL2 or Crysis... can't remember exactly)

Walsingham said:

Since Gembe was raided by GSG9 after breaking in to Valve's secure network and leaking the Half-Life 2 beta, it's safe to assume that the publisher was not behind that leak.

They wasted GSG9's time with that ? Sad.

They wasted GSG9's time with that ? Sad.

Maybe they get off on showing MP5s in the faces of scrawny punks. I mean, who doesn't?

He was a punk ? Hm. Still, luckily he got arrested in Germany rather than nabbed in the US. Anyway, way off topic now, heh.