What you did today

Gorth

Never ceases to amuse me when people think I'm a retired officer. Although it can be rather sticky if - as today - somebody refers to you as such five times in twenty minutes. I never know whether to let it slide past and hope they only say it once, or stop them and point out I was only a private with very precise diction.

It's the moustache.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hubs has one of those Xoom tablets for a week (he's testing it to see if a client wants/should get a bunch, vs. ipads) and so I tried it. The screen is very nice looking. The size and weight isn't bad. But...

...these touchpad tablet keyboards suck. They're too small to actually hover your hands over the 'keys' like a proper keyboard and so you're still hunting and pecking. There's a small delay/lag between you hitting a key and it showing up on screen so it's confusing. Having to hit a key to switch between numbers & letters. The keys are so sensitive that even a slight brush with a finger types a letter etc. It took me 2 minutes to type a 100 chr tweet w/out any errors in it.

Also, webbrowsing, the 'slide the finger' to scroll is annoying if a webpage has too many buttons that you're going to hit constantly while making the motion.

Do you ever get used to all that or ... ? Gawd I'm an old fart.

I just got an iPad (typing this on it, so forgive typos)... The keyboard is meh, but eminently usable... The purpose if these tablets for the time being media consumption rather than creation- the screen is more for watching than typing , hence the inherent difficulty in typing on it... I loves it though... Also, it's shiny

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Never ceases to amuse me when people think I'm a retired officer. Although it can be rather sticky if - as today - somebody refers to you as such five times in twenty minutes. I never know whether to let it slide past and hope they only say it once, or stop them and point out I was only a private with very precise diction.

It's the moustache.

That's... not my nose.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I attended Roger Water's "The Wall"-concert yesterday. I have seen about 25-30 bands throughout my years including Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Metallica and Iron Maiden but none of them compared to that. Epochal in scope, and grand in execution. I do not think that any other mainstream or contemporary group or musician will be able to match that. Every other concert will be a borefest after this one.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I just got an iPad (typing this on it, so forgive typos)... The keyboard is meh, but eminently usable... The purpose if these tablets for the time being media consumption rather than creation- the screen is more for watching than typing , hence the inherent difficulty in typing on it... I loves it though... Also, it's shiny

Yeah, sorry about the mini-keypad rant. :lol: I was just so frustrated last night with trying to even type tweets on the thing. I'd probably find it less annoying if the keys were in some weird arrangement instead of looking like a real keyboard. I'm a semi-rapid touch-typist so hunting & pecking on something that looks like I should be able to touch type on is aggravating. lol

Tablets are definitely shiny & I can see some uses for it, if you like those uses. My husband & I tho, we're just not with it when it comes to this new wave of gadgets. Don't fit us or what we'd personally want/design I guess. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The thought of absorbing even more media even more easily is enough to induce a kind of mental retching.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Currently eating curry with both sets of fingers crossed there won't be any bloody bombs as I watch the royal wedding.

-Elwood Blues

I heard they've even set up special provisions for the wedding in case anyone tries objecting.

They're going to set up several short seconds for that part of the ceremony..and they've set a small room aside to interview any objectee. I believe they call it a police cell... :)

But eh, I have to say, weddings don't exactly fill me with happy feelings the last oh, bout 10 years. And this week has been chock full of wedding fever. So while I might be a bit on the monarchist side, I'm trying to ignore much of the day's media coverage.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Currently eating curry with both sets of fingers crossed there won't be any bloody bombs as I watch the royal wedding.

Why would one watch such a thing. I mean Is the outcome in doubt....

The republican in me gets really pissed at such pointless extravagance, but I suppose it will more than pay for itself in tourist derived income.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Why would one watch such a thing. I mean Is the outcome in doubt....

The republican in me gets really pissed at such pointless extravagance, but I suppose it will more than pay for itself in tourist derived income.

We've been doing it like this for 350 years. It's a celebration.

The yanks (my pardon to those in the south) have July the 4th, and the inaugeration of a new President.

Every country have their own version of things to spice up a bit of sense of a nation.

We don't really throw celebrations for the Prime Minister, but we do serious Royal Weddings. :lol:

I was a pre-teen for the Princess Di wedding, which I curiously watched. I think I still have the VHS tape I recorded somewhere, too. But I'm skipping this one.

Still having trouble with allergy post-nasal drip cough & sleeping. Congests lungs a little, waking me up coughing. When I stand/sit I'm mostly fine, only when lying down so it drains into the throat/lungs. Driving me crazy. Don't think I have a nasal infection, just a whole lotta allergy. Maple trees, everything else. Clean & clean and still sleep-cough. *purple bags under her eyes*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just hope it gives the Team Fortress 2 team some ideas. Dem hats!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

And all of that for some ponce on account of an accident of birth. I wouldn't mind that job.

To be fair, Charles and his sons do have a lot of duties they deal with. So it's not all jetplanes and parties.

Throw in the Queen as a general UK Ambassador type and the figurehead of state and spirit of the nation, and they do put in the effort.

Say what you want about the majority of countries around the world, but state visits by the Queen and the immediate family can do a lot of good diplomacy for the country.

Just because it isn't all in strict "official" form of diplomacy ...

and the inaugeration of a new President.

Ummm... thats not really something we celebrate. In fact it barely makes the news (Obama being the exception because of the novelty of being the first black president). I'd say the only two things we celebrate nationally are 7/4 and Superbowl, and not necassarily in that order.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And all of that for some ponce on account of an accident of birth. I wouldn't mind that job.

To be fair, Charles and his sons do have a lot of duties they deal with. So it's not all jetplanes and parties.

Throw in the Queen as a general UK Ambassador type and the figurehead of state and spirit of the nation, and they do put in the effort.

Say what you want about the majority of countries around the world, but state visits by the Queen and the immediate family can do a lot of good diplomacy for the country.

Just because it isn't all in strict "official" form of diplomacy ...

Well, it might make you feel good about yourselves and it might be entertaining, but it's undemocratic. Why not get some more healthy traditions which don't include showering one family in wealth and castles in return for the strenuous duty of handing out the honours list, doing a few charities and receiving dignitaries.

The French had it right, off with the head and no feeling sorry after the fact.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

it's undemocratic

Democracy is not a value.

Might as well argue that it's "unamerican".

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The French had it right, off with the head and no feeling sorry after the fact.

Because yes, the French government and attitude is something we really want to copy and spread around the world.. :)

And we didn't shower them with wealth and castles. Kind of the reverse actually, the Royal Family gave huge chunks of real estate to the government for the public use some time back.

It might well be argued that it wasn't theirs to begin with since the properites and castles were all bought and built with taxpayer money.

If you're going back a few centuries.. or a lot of centuries depending on the particular property... Plus they have a large amount of money that doesn't come from taxpayers.

Or would you compare it to the robber-barons who built the railroads and big industrial complexes in america, making fortunes in ways that are now considered illegal, and have established families who are the "wealth" aristocracy and own big chunks of real estate....

Would you say they should lose access to their wealth and properties because of how their ancestors acquired it all?

Times change, methods of building a fortune and future for the family have changed.

Nonsense. It's entirely possible for a system to be less, or more, democratic. We aren't using a specific yardstick, but those kinds of comparisons are as common as pie.

Which wasn't my point.

What was your point again. That there is no such thing as 'undemocratic', as in not democratic.

No, my point was that democraticness is only a measure of how democratic something is, nothing else. The UK is a constitutional monarchy, so obviously it should score lower on the scale.

Kind of like how "unamerican" can be both praise and an insult, depending on who's saying it.

I'm still not sure how what I wrote can be interpreted in another way, certainly not in the way you fixated on.

Edited by Nepenthe