We are not alone

Arkan

Haven't been around much lately, but I thought it'd be interesting to hear the Obs community take on this news:

NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life

That astonishingly awesome claim comes from Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Wake me up when we can have a good fight with them.

EDIT: or at tea time. Whichever is first.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

From the article:

Update: While the Journal of Cosmology says that “no other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting,” some highly respected names in the scientific community are challenging the validity of Cosmology, and the findings of Dr. Hoover.

“[The Journal of Cosmology] isn’t a real science journal at all,” says PZ Meyers in Science Blogs, “but is the ginned-up website of a small group of crank academics obsessed with the idea of Hoyle and Wickramasinghe that life originated in outer space and simply rained down on Earth.”

I pretty convinced life exists out there in the great beyong, but apparently it doesn't have a habit of raining down on us in meteorites.

Fortune favors the bald.

I always knew that first real alien would look like a ****, because anything that looks like a vagina obviously stayed home to make dinner for the **** alien.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

You know, our community is weird. I've seen flame wars over movie opinions, people get ecstatic over, not even video games, but video game patches, but (alleged) evidence of life in outer space is met with a resounding "So?"

NASA distances itself from claims.

Somebody look at the last line in that article and tell me I'm wrong about the news outlet's english language abilities.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I didn't post this because I don't know what to think.

The funny thing is it could be one of those things where alien life is found and nobody really notices because nobody trusts the announcement at first and there is lots of controversy until it slowly, over years, becomes mainstream scientific consensus that, yes, the meteorites contain alien bacteria.

I mean what the scientist is saying is entirely plausible. But it needs more peer review, and more evidence (i.e. more meteorites, which is a difficult thing to achieve).

This is old news. They've known microbial life exists in space for over ten years. They found traces of bacteria on Mars, for instance.

Organic life is way more tenacious than youd think, and the necessary circumstances for creting it are not that rare. You need carbon, water and energy of some sort. And a couple of million years or so.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This is old news. They've known microbial life exists in space for over ten years. They found traces of bacteria on Mars, for instance.

That was debunked, iirc, though not fully- ie they showed that you could get something that looks like fossil bacteria without actually starting off with the bacteria. So it wasn't exactly disproved but it was shown not to be at all conclusive.

[Actually that is talked about in the link from Enoch, apparently it's the same guy making both claims].

You may be right Krezack, as there may well have been multiple similar announcements- I don't really follow the subject that much. I'm fairly sure the one I was thinking of was from the same guy, per Enoch's article:

"Another concern of mine was that he is basing a lot of this on the shape of the structures he sees… but looking like a microbe doesn’t make them a microbe! And Hoover goes farther than that. In an earlier work, he states flatly that these objects are fossils, and that they have bacterial structures inside them"

Which is pretty much exactly how I remembered it.

Edited by Zoraptor

Isn't Jesus Christ a myth, too?

Not likely. Here you go.

Good ole' Wikipedia has a surprisingly good amount of information on it. While the biblical Jesus is very much a symbol of Christianity as a whole, it is very unlikely that he was created out of thin air for the purpose of gospel.

Thought: what if Jesus didn't rise from the grave, but was brought back from a cynical world weary position propping up a bar?

"We want you back in the game, Jesus."

"I don't do that any more."

"But you were the best!"

"I'm just a fisherman now. You can tell my father he can keep his stinking badge."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thought: what if Jesus didn't rise from the grave, but was brought back from a cynical world weary position propping up a bar?

"We want you back in the game, Jesus."

"I don't do that any more."

"But you were the best!"

"I'm just a fisherman now. You can tell my father he can keep his stinking badge."

and then the eastern bunny says:

"I'm too old for this ****"

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

And I'm now imagining Christ up on the cross grumbling "And I had just two days till retirement..."

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

And I'm now imagining Christ up on the cross grumbling "And I had just two days till retirement..."

ROFL

~

EDIT: plus LMAO

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

I have alien implants technology inside the left side of my body.

Or had. I dissolved it in like 1991. Same year as my real father died.

Oh, and i'm the kid speaking on Blue Powder released by Steve Vai in 1990.

IS THIS A ****ING CRACKPOT COS MY BRAIN IS WORKING AGAINST ME???

Hell yes, and don't try bringing the Satellite Caravan near me, ask the KGB what will happen. If you can find them. They dissapeared in 91 too you know.

OH MAN WE'RE ALL ROBOTS PROGRAMMED BY ALIENS AND WITH THE SOVIET UNION IT ALL WENT TO HELL COS THAT WAS LIKE THERE (their) DOING.

Of course they must be real. It can't be any other way, OH AND GUIZE CWAAAACKPOT DEATHWING FAKED HIS DEATH.

Have you ever seen a grey?

I haven't. I stop at moving flying saucers, anyone who can do that is interesting enough if you know what i mean :thumbsup:

Edited by Affmeister

A high lore skill will automatically identify a magical item as it enters your inventory.