Assassin's Creed 1 & Uncharted 1

Pope

After a few years of using my PS3 solely as a Bluray player, I've recently starting playing games on it again. So I started looking for the highest rated PS3 games, and saw Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 amongst them. Now I'm wondering whether I should play the originals beforehand.

They both get fairly good reviews, but it seems the sequels are a lot better. I know that AC1 in particular can be quite repetitive, so is it necessary for storyline reasons to play it before AC2?

Uncharted wasnt bad. AC on the other hand, I dont know anyone who managed to play more than half of it, its just too dull

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I tried AC1 and it was very dull. Unskippable pointlessly long B-movie sci-fi scenes waste a lot of your time, then you waste even more of your time just running/horseriding around the countryside and repeating the same 3-4 simple minigames to get to your kill. The fun in the actual assassination is terribly short-lived, then, as half your victims spout crap for 20 minutes with their 'last' breath.

Apparently AC2 is much better.

I honestly kinda liked AC1. It is boring and repetitive but it did have a charm to it.

Uncharted is basically Indiana Jones having a kid with Lara Croft. I didn't finish the first one but the second one was alright (although I did find it a bit... stale).

AC2 is crazy. Varied missions and much larger territories to explore. Does have the fundamental flaw that everyone knows exactly who the assassin is because he shouts it out in the very beginning (which has always bugged me) but still. Brotherhood further refined the combat but is ultimately just (as Yahtzee said) DLC that got stretched out and then wrangled to be turned into a full game.

It depends on what you like but most people (for the ps3) would point you at the games you've mentioned plus

Ratchet and Clank

Resistance series

Killzone

Infamous

and... tenuously Metal Gear Solid 4 (But only if you have basically gone around and picked up the plot from the previous games).

Note, I'm just doing the exclusives here.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'd suggest skipping AC1. I did finish it, but only by doing the minimum amount of side missions. I found the assassin missions themselves interesting and the city landscapes are great, but everything leading into it is dull.

If you can, play AC2 instead and just catch a summary of the events of AC1 somewhere.

I really enjoyed Uncharted. It was like a great B-movie, lots of action, good 3rd person shooting mechanics and some nice driving sections. The climbing and jumping is also fun. Uncharted 2 is a great game as well so definitely play that after 1.

Does have the fundamental flaw that everyone knows exactly who the assassin is because he shouts it out in the very beginning (which has always bugged me) but still.

It's not supposed to be a secret.

Anyway, like Calax I enjoyed AC. The actual assassinations are fun, and while the activities you need to complete to get to the assassination are repetitive I love the setting and enjoy exploring the cities. The sequel is much, much better. The tedious, long-winded unskippable conversations are gone and the tasks you need to complete before each assassination are now interesting, unique and properly integrated into the story. AC:B is an even greater improvement and I think calling it a stretched out DLC doesn't do it justice. I eagerly await AC3.

I wouldn't say it's vital to play the original first, the main character gives a brief overview of events at the beginning of the sequel, but if you enjoy the story and decide to go back and play the first game it's going to be disappointing in comparison.

Lara Croft is a female Indiana Jones, and Nathan Drake is a male Lara Croft. A couple months ago I bought both Uncharted games, and while I traded in the first immediately after playing through (funnily enough for AC:B) I decided to keep the sequel. They're both pretty formulaic - some exploration/climbing/jumpy bits then some cover shooting, repeat - but I enjoyed the second game a lot more. I dunno, maybe it was the more varied settings, maybe the two gameplay parts were better integrated.

Assassin's Creed one is merely okay. There is a lot of repetition and it bogs down the game. Assassin's Creed 2, on the other hand, is substantially better. In my e-pinion, if you play the sequel first you'll never make it through the original down the road.

Everything was beautiful. Nothing hurt.

Uncharted 1 is fun and you can enjoy U2 more because you see they've improved the right things and you know the characters already. The sequel is one of the best games on PS3, period. And you should also play DEMON'S SOULS.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Uncharted 1 & 2 are good games and I recommend you give them a try.

I say skip the Assassin's Creed games and go play Batman: Arkham Asylum. The sequel is coming out later this year. You can thank me when you have finished the game. You should also try inFAMOUS, it also has a sequel coming out this year.

Why do I advice against the Assassin's Creed games, you ask? It seems they will release a game every year. Brotherhood released last year and a new game will be releasing this year. They are milking it, so to speak.

I finished Arkham Asylum today, was a fun game indeed. Before that I've played and finished GTAIV and God of War III. Based on the feedback in this thread, I'll pick up:

- Uncharted 1 and 2

- Assassin's Creed 2 (even though they're milking the franchise, this seems to be a fun game)

Along with these:

- inFamous

- Red Dead Redemption

- GTA Episodes from Liberty City

- and maybe Prototype

Really want to play the new Mortal Kombat as well, but I'd need to buy a second controller first, which go for €60, so I'll probably wait until the game drops in price (otherwise it would be €120 to play a game). Which I always do btw, there's plenty of good games to play that have already dropped in price, so might as well play those while I wait for the newer ones to do the same.

And when I have another controller, might as well get Little Big Planet to play with the ladyfriend.

Edited by Pope

I did the mistake of picking up Uncharted 2 first, and after that I just couldn't bring myself into buying 1 (tried the demo, seemed... jagged in comparison to 2).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

If you want to play an Assassins Creed play the second one. You don't have to play the first to get out most of it

Uncharted 1 like said before is a mix between Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider.

I never made it past the first half of U2 because of the Himalaya sections. Because it IS the most ridiculus thing I have ever seen. Indy4s Atomic Fridge is more believable. At least there its pretty clear why it wouldn't work. Here? Its a mind**** in how many ways the main charachter would die. And pretty much an insult for everyone who climbs themselves in extreme condition.

None of those games have a remarkable story. Entertaining charachters though.

Edited by C2B

Ah, LittleBigPlanet 1 is a great game and you can get it for cheap now. Cool story levels and thousands of good community levels. I had an amazing time playing this in local co-op with three friends. Played it until LittleBigPlanet 2 came out earlier this year, wich is also amazing and I have already seen crazy community creations. Original Zelda Level 1-1 recreated.

I never made it past the first half of U2 because of the Himalaya sections. Because it IS the most ridiculus thing I have ever seen. Indy4s Atomic Fridge is more believable. At least there its pretty clear why it wouldn't work. Here? Its a mind**** in how many ways the main charachter would die. And pretty much an insult for everyone who climbs themselves in extreme condition.

None of those games have a remarkable story. Entertaining charachters though.

Sucks to be you.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Consumer warning about Demon Souls: If you dislike constantly losing and repeating the same stage compulsively this game is not for you. I you are prone to screaming, punching walls, throwing the controller after some douchebag decides to go black phantom when you are 1 step away from fighting the boss; then this game is definitively not for you.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I also recommend Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 and 2 if you're into action games.

I was going to ask about these.

Anyone else have experience with Ninja Gaiden? Is it a constant hack & slash, or is it more like God of War (i.e. mixed with some puzzling)?

Edited by Pope

The Ninja Gaiden series has always been about being really hard, and really combat heavy. Very little in the way of puzzles IIRC

But picking up the God of War collection is probably a good idea.

I love when people are saying "this game is wasting my time". No ****? What do the other games do then? Give you time? Give you money? A blowjob?

Games are, by design, supposed to waste your time.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I love when people are saying "this game is wasting my time". No ****? What do the other games do then? Give you time? Give you money? A blowjob?

Games are, by design, supposed to waste your time.

Generally they're not supposed to be as repetative as Assassins creed.

AsCreed 1 is garbage. AsCreed 2 is pretty decent, then it gets repetitive and irreversibly boring around the half way mark. Let me spoil the ending, because it really is *something*

The end boss fight has you dukeing it out with the Pope, wielding an enormous cross. I kid you not. And you hold off killing him, the mastermind behind all the other murderous shenanigans against your family, because, well, he's the pope, that would be controversial. 2 minutes later you find out it was really aliens.

Your char goes 'the ****', and that's it, credit roll.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.