New gameplay vid

How old? Do I sound like a bothersome person if I point out the few things that bother me in that video?

What bothered you?

Facial animations (from what I remember in a preview you guys said you were still working on those, so I'm looking forward to seeing them improved) and the melee enemy AI.. it just seemed.. stiff. They rushed to Lucas and then just didn't attack, they were far too slow compared to him. I guess that being those the first stages of the game I can't quite put my hand on how the game will feel, but it's still a little worrying in my opinion. Rest looked good.

EDIT: Also, this is just me being curious, but why have you guys ditched the stylized tree for dialogue? The new dialogue wheel looks.. normal.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

EDIT: Also, this is just me being curious, but why have you guys ditched the stylized tree for dialogue? The new dialogue wheel looks.. normal.

Yeah, thats what I wonder about it too. The tree really fit the very stylized look of the game. The new one looks disconnected.

I'm with WUE on this one. I liked the gameplay, but it's like people only have one facial expression; stiff. Can't they raise or contort an eyebrow? Scowl a little? Would really work wonders. I really liked the battle animations, though. Seemed very well detailed and consistent. And don't get me wrong, DS3 does look incredibly beautiful. Is this footage from the 360? I noticed the UI showed the LT button of a controller, but it may as well have been a controller plugged in a PC.

I didn't notice this stylized dialogue tree WUE mentioned. I'll have to go back and see it again.

The animation especially sprinting/walking does not look natural on the surface. The background looks nice!. Things to improve on:

1. Sprinting/walking vs the background tileset. It needs to be natural.

2. Facial animation especially the teeth. Doesn't look natural. Can improve on that.

3. UI. Backgrounds looks beautiful and real but UI looks cartoony.

4. Inventory UI. I like a body/skeleton representation of the item equipped than the scrolling. But i like the comparison UI on the equipped and selected. Nice!

These are the things i like to see improve at the moment.

Edited by Archaven

Found another vid with more gameplay footage here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-...53#comments_top

The Dungeon Siege Segment begins at ca.13:40

Also with it I found a comment of Neverwinter Nights 2 QA tester Stefano Terry (well at least his profile links to Stefano Terrys dev. art. and twitter)

I used to work at Obsidian, and those guys are awesome. They really love developing games, and they treat their employees better than any of the other video game companies I've worked at in the past.

They are often hamstrung by their publisher, who is often pushing them to release a game at a specific date, even when it needs a few more months polish.

I worked on Neverwinter Nights 2, and even though Obsidian requested more time, Atari, the publisher, forced them to release the game earlier than Obsidian wanted. Not to mention that they also had to split development due to creating the E3 Demo that year. People think that they just take a chunk of the game and say: "Be the demo," and that's that, but demo's have to be coded and tested like any other project. We spent 2 months of dev time that could have been used polishing and testing the retail game, just to have a demo at a 3 day game show.

Anyway, I love the Obsidian guys, and I hope that whatever they are working on next gets the time it needs to be polished. As far as a developer goes, they have a knack for making quality, but flawed RPGs.

In truth, I like Fallout: New Vegas way more than Fallout 3, and I didn't even realize it until the other day, when me and my wife decided to give New Vegas a break and go back to Fallout 3. I never expected to get bored with Fallout 3 like I did. I remember loving it when it came out, but after playing New Vegas, it just feels really slowly paced and boring. New Vegas doesn't keep you from getting out there and getting into action/trouble right away. You have this whole, long section in Fallout 3 where you are a kid, then a teen, then you finally get to escape the Vault and explore the world.

New Vegas has you getting shot in the head at the beginning, then waking up, creating your character by answering some questions, and then you are off.

I still like Fallout 3, but not as much as New Vegas. And that's a surprise, considering how much of a buggy mess New Vegas is, and that it broke my PS3 (we've since moved on to the 360 version of New Vegas, and it runs WAAAY better than the PS3 version, despite a few crashes here and there).

http://n4g.com/news/694929/obsidians-new-p...ct-virginia/com

http://ffnb.deviantart.com/

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/v...loperId,161791/

Edited by C2B

I laughed at the ragdoll effect :p Especially the part where Lucas sends some sort of bolt of energy and the poor guy at the receiving end just flies off :p

I must say, the two-handed stance really looks good, but the one-handed stance seems kinda... boring, and unpractical, considering the mass of enemies that come at you. A.I. needs a lot of work too, I'm sure I saw some enemies surrounding Lucas, but starting to swing only after he escaped. I didn't feel like the player was ever in danger.

I laughed at the ragdoll effect :p Especially the part where Lucas sends some sort of bolt of energy and the poor guy at the receiving end just flies off :p

I must say, the two-handed stance really looks good, but the one-handed stance seems kinda... boring, and unpractical, considering the mass of enemies that come at you. A.I. needs a lot of work too, I'm sure I saw some enemies surrounding Lucas, but starting to swing only after he escaped. I didn't feel like the player was ever in danger.

Yeah, gets me worried too. Then again its probably from a build where the difficulty setting was lowered/the AI was adjusted. I hope we get some footage that settles our worries.

The commentary was really very painful to hear. Also, the AI will suck. Don't get your hopes high. People kept telling the same thing "oh yeah, the AI will improve" for Alpha Protocol and look at the final product. :p Better just hope it doesn't matter because it's an hack'n'slash, Obsidian can't do AI, we've got that.

The commentary was really very painful to hear. Also, the AI will suck. Don't get your hopes high. People kept telling the same thing "oh yeah, the AI will improve" for Alpha Protocol and look at the final product. :p Better just hope it doesn't matter because it's an hack'n'slash, Obsidian can't do AI, we've got that.

The commentary was probably made by the same people who comment on all the gametrailer videos. "Oh COOOOL Dead Space 2 guy in DA2!!!! How awesome is this". Raping franchises my ***.

Not really expecting highly evolved AI from a hack&slash/action rpg, when even the highly praised FPS games got pretty retarded AI. They might surprise you a few times at start, but after you know the 2-3 tricks they got and how they react to certain things, the highly praised AI is pretty easy to beat and trick.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Maybe with the Onyx engine and the fantasy setting Obsidian can provide a more challenging difficulty level. But Alpha Protocols AI was like the AI of every game based on the UE3 engine. Maybe some games had a more balanced difficulty setting, but not a better AI.

I just want the enemies to actually attack our character, that's all :p . Especially the melee ones.

I just want the enemies to actually attack our character, that's all :p . Especially the melee ones.

Maybe they attack one by one, like any self-respecting mook.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.