What games are you getting in 2011?

Morgoth

I'd draw the line at "any game that crashes repeatedly on a console is lacking in polish". Both AP and out-of-the-box FONV did this. And I mean REPEATEDLY.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

it's the Obsidian way of bringing down consoles, it's not the lack of polish, it's sabotage

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

NV only froze a few times for me during my entire playthrough on the 360, and none after the latest patch, although I didn't play it for very long. Same as pre-patch Oblivion. Not much else of significance. For a huge game like this, it's pretty hard to test all the different permutations in every location, so bugs are almost inevitable.

Of the main stream games, I might try the Dragon Knight Saga once I feel like another RPG. Also DX if reading forums indicates it's any good.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

NV only froze a few times for me during my entire playthrough on the 360, and none after the latest patch, although I didn't play it for very long. Same as pre-patch Oblivion. Not much else of significance. For a huge game like this, it's pretty hard to test all the different permutations in every location, so bugs are almost inevitable.

Sure, and I agree with you on the latter part - which is why I was only complaining about the hourly lockups I got on the PS3 version. :thumbsup:

That said, it was with the "retail" 1.01 patch, I haven't played it (or anything else for the matter) for a while, so I can't comment on the current state of affairs. I'll try to take it for a test drive soon.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Bugs are a fairly individual issue. I didn't encounter anything major in AP or FO:NV. Polish is also pretty deep in the personal opinion realm, I mean neither game is what I would call ugly or clunky.

Polish isn't based upon opinion at all, hell I never loved a Blizzard game, but they're all polished to a gleam.

AP and FO:NV are fugly games from all kinds of professional perspectives, being technically poor, and artistically void. AP was certainly clunk from a gameplay perspective. We can expand this analysis if you wish, the simple point is that basically polish isn't based on opinion, its based on obvious improvements due to development iteration.

Uh, I'm not a professional developer. I'm just a gamer. As an untrained pleb, I thought AP looked good and FO:NV looked fantastic. I found both interfaces easy to use.

If you really want to spend time educating me about this, feel free to. But I imagine it is a lot like comparing art. Sure, there is a huge difference between an untrained and a trained artist, but it gets a lot harder to explain why Picasso is such a big deal compared to some other neo-expressionist Joe Schmoe.

Potentially, I'm trying to think of an extremely polished title that you may have played, that I know is exceptionally polished. It's just an extra assurance of quality over quantity, CoD isn't very polished in terms of its balancing, but the art tends to be highly polished, and aimed at the eyeline.

Maybe you're correct and that to you its just a game, I actually hate the fact I've become a critical gamer who spots tiny errors, but hey, the main thing is... Is it fun? And I've always felt that Obsidian produce fun games, I believe they could also produce fun quality games, if they don't screw up like Trokia did.

It's sad, but I don't see Obsidian working with the same publishers, that concerns me.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Lucky they can afford the time to, as well. But I guess even their older work was, uh, 'polished', at least for Blizzard.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If you need examples of polish, look at Valve and Blizzard. Awesome polish out the door and long-term support after that.

Yeah sure, you can add Id to that list as well...

@Malcador: Yup, if you have good ideas and make good games you will eventually get that luxury.

True enough.

@Malcador: Yup, if you have good ideas and make good games you will eventually get that luxury.

Seems to be, never got the love for either of them as their founding games seemed fun but nothing outstanding. But still lucky, they managed to avoid crappy management or publisher pressure. Different environment, I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

the only game i will buy on DAY 1 is diablo 3. just because I feel confident that it will be worth the full price

i'll most likely get mass effect 3 on day 1 as well, i've come this far, and I loved ME 2.

all the other games I will wait for some reviews first. just to make sure I don't pay full price for a half baked game. I'm glad i bought and played alpha protocol, but it only cost me $7.50, not $60.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'll buy 'em all, I always do... Haven't got CoD this year, I refuse to pay such a price, its worth 10 quid, if that.

There's also the unannounced stuff that will inevitably come out in Holidays 2011.

For example, it's about time Starbreeze shows off their new game. Also Monolith should deliver something this year as well. And then there're rumors my old and beloved Pyro Studios are working on a new Commandos game.

Good stuff.

Ok here is my projected shopping list for next year. its looking a little brutal. the number on the right is the priority I am placing the purchase (also everything 1- 9 is something I would possibly be willing to pay full price for)

PS3

uncharted 3, 9.

last guardian, 3.

twisted metal, 8.

Little big Planet 2 12

PC

dragon age 2, 5.

portal 2, 4.

total war shogun 11

rage 10.

Skyrim 1.

witcher 2 13

red faction: arma 14

deus ex 3 6.

Mass effect 3 2.

Not sure which platform

batman 2 7.

Dead Space 2 15

XBOX

? looks like an absolute **** year for xbox ?

not sure if coming out in 2011

diablo 3

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

And then there're rumors my old and beloved Pyro Studios are working on a new Commandos game.

I don't think anyone can top Commandos 2 :p I remember attempts by other studios to make a 3D version, but it never worked.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Hopefully the Team ICO collection remade for the PS3 and The Last Guardian. Add Deus Ex 3 to the list and if it turns out to be any good I won't need another game for the rest of my life.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

:: Sigh :: I'll probably be catching up with the past two years - The Witcher (groovy ultimate edition), King Arthur, CoD Black Ops perhaps (curious about the fuss) and if it's released Diablo 3.

The wargaming / strategy sector is looking good from an indie POV, but that's an obscure subject for another thread.

Curiously, nothing by EmoWare features in my list.

sonsofgygax.JPG