Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

Liked Arena and Daggerfall at the time, hated Morrowind but played Oblivion for a while until I got bored with the inane story, generic caves, menial quests and general rubbishness of the game. I wish we never had to see another Elder Scrolls game ever again.

p.s

and the whole dragon thing was boring ten years ago, to make yet another dragonsexual RPG is borderline criminal.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Alright, I admit there were some cool bits in Morrowind. Those dust storms were awesome touches. The way everyone's arms came up to shield their faces. Felt relieved to get indoors a lot of the time. And there were one or two halfway decent characters. But that does not a good game make.

Hopefully they'll learn from the success of Vegas.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I thought NPC faces always looked pretty good for their time. But I want to stab the slider system in the eye.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Looking at the new screenshots of Skyrim though I must say Bethesda definitely learned a lot from it's mistakes. The game really looks impressive now, even the faces look halfway beautiful now.

I can't find any screenshots that show NPC (or player) faces.. where did you see them?

Fortune favors the bald.

new vegas improved fallout 3 in essentially every way. So if bethesda can use those improvements in Skyrim then everyone will be happy and rainbows and balloons will fill the sky.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Looking at the new screenshots of Skyrim though I must say Bethesda definitely learned a lot from it's mistakes. The game really looks impressive now, even the faces look halfway beautiful now.

I can't find any screenshots that show NPC (or player) faces.. where did you see them?

Only scans from the new GI. I could give you a link but a) the site is considered unclean and b) linking scans is not allowed here anyway.

Hopefully they'll learn from the success of Vegas.

Maybe they would, if the game wasn't mainly succesful because it's riding on the success of FO3.

Obviously, you dont know Bethesda. Their entire schtick is that they NEVER learn. They have been remaking Elder Scrolls: Arena ever since the company started and thats what they're going to continue to do. Generic fantasy drivel with mediocre gameplay in a large sandboxlike world full of largely pointless stuff like generic dungeons or treasure chests under pinetrees.

FNV was successful on its own. I know plenty of people who bought FNV without having touched Fallout 3.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I didn't think Shattering Isles was very generic.

I didn't think Shattering Isles was very generic.

Shivering?

No, I'm right. It's Bethesda who is wrong.

I wouldn't get excited about good looking NPCs just yet. Oblivion's early previews had the same thing where they showed one or two beautiful looking NPCs - whether it was plain photoshop or separately rendered models or whatever, it really had nothing to do witht he reality.

Edit: to be fair, I can't find an example now it's been so long - but in Obv's case real screenies seemed to appear a few months later.

the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20041021063818924_640w.jpg

Certainly not representative of faces as a whole but certainly in-game. I just wish I could find what was inside...

oblivcvr01bjr5.jpg

(Yes, GameInformer do a deal where they do lavish front cover previews of every recent TES game).

Bethesda generally craps on optimism, I've found.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's actually an interesting exercise going back at the earliest Oblivion previews (in 2004). It's not entirely an indulgence in cynicism - a lot of the optimistic stuff they talked about very early on was realised. The game's environment did look good (even if the art direction was not imaginative), they delivered a more visceral feel in combat, stealth was improved, and so forth.

Of course, we are also taught some hard lessons about believing stuff like...

You're walking through a seedy part of a town in Western Cyrodiil. People mill about, some engaged in conversation, others minding their own business, out on their own errands. Suddenly, an ugly man decides he doesn't like you. Maybe he's drunk, maybe he's just a bully, maybe he's just showing off in front of his friends -- but for whatever reason, he has taken your measure and decided he can best you.

He comes charging at you, with a nasty looking mace in his hand and a look of hatred on his face. Onlookers move back to make room for what should be an entertaining fight.

Actually we're not using bloom in that sense. We're using High Dynamic Range (HDR) lighting. What that does is simulate the eye's response to suddenly bright lights. For example if you're in a dark room and suddenly look at a bright light, the light seems overbright for a period of time until your eyes adjust. A really good example is if you're driving through a tunnel and come to the end. At first the light seems excessively bright, but as your eyes adjust and you get outside, everything returns to normal brightness levels.

The HDR lighting seemed to work roughly as they described, maybe not as slow or extreme but that's possibly a good thing, on the subject of faces I think a lot of them were fine, especially in good lighting, most of them were terrible though, when the first and arguably most important character you meet face to face is butt ****-ing ugly you know something is broken.

Those Radiant AI demo's were a complete conjob though, the new Radiant Story system leaves me feeling cold.