Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

I wonder if towns/settlements will be separate zones again, or will the new engine be able to handle said settlements within game world w/o separate loading screen (FNV style).

*Misses levitation spells*

Edited by Syraxis

Actually "radiant storytelling" pretty much sounds like a euphemism for level scaling. Once again. :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

- two hands can be used in combat, e.g. use a sword in one hand, and magic with the other one + dual-wielding

This should work quite well in Elder Scrolls.

Why?

The melee system was never very good (especially in fpp) and now besides being largely unchanged it will feature more sill in form of dual wielding.

I wonder if towns/settlements will be separate zones again, or will the new engine be able to handle said settlements within game world w/o separate loading screen (FNV style).

*Misses levitation spells*

IIRC that was due to console memory limitations, so it seems unlikely.

I'm just unsure how they envisions dragon attacks on enclosed cities.

I'm just unsure how they envisions dragon attacks on enclosed cities.

Think three letters: QTE

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

After Fallout 3, I doubt the level scaling will return to the silliness of Oblivion.

The radiant storytelling simply means that depending on your skills distribution, you'll receive different quests. E.g. a character geared towards magic not receiving any fighter related quests.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

After Fallout 3, I doubt the level scaling will return to the silliness of Oblivion.

The radiant storytelling simply means that depending on your skills distribution, you'll receive different quests. E.g. a character geared towards magic not receiving any fighter related quests.

Thank you. That doesn't sound so bad.

Thank you. That doesn't sound so bad.

It actually makes sense.

Gstaff @Bethsoft forums:

Since people are asking, wanted to briefly touch on level scaling. All our games have had some amount of randomness/levelling based on player level. Skyrim's is similar to Fallout 3's, not Oblivion's.

Hope that addresses some concerns, and we hope you're enjoying the GI cover story.

Have a great night

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Good news. Not ideal, but good enough.

Hopefully the fact that there is limited level scaling also means that the rate can be modded.

Really, I think the big concern is whether you have area-based or global level scaling; the latter is insanely stupid, the former can be ok.

"You killed my father and took all of our stuff!"

"Yeah, sorry about that."

"Anyway, is there anything else you wanted to talk about?"

"Do you have any work for me?"

Same as always. Get every piece of content in the game with every kind of character you play. It's heresy, if the player has done something that might lock off other content for him.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, if it's as moddable as Oblivion and if the things they promised in the preview happen (I'm fairly doubtful on the Bethesda hype, they're definitely the worst developer of WRPG from this point of view), then I'm getting it, even if I find things like that silly. It certainly sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

Rumors are circulating that attributes have been removed.

Your level up choices are apparently limited to more health/magic/stamina.

There is no dev confirmation but it certainly matches bethesda philosophy on not locking-out content no matter the choices made.

Rumors are circulating that attributes have been removed.

Your level up choices are apparently limited to more health/magic/stamina.

There is no dev confirmation but it certainly matches bethesda philosophy on not locking-out content no matter the choices made.

It's not a rumor, it's in the GameInformer preview. But frankly, it's a small price to pay for a possibly non-broken leveling system.

AFAIK complete lack of attributes is still not confirmed, we just know you can't increase them during a level up.

This may fix the character system as devs had no idea on what to do with them in oblivion.

My biggest problem with this is that it likely charts course for Fallout 4.

My biggest problem with this is that it likely charts course for Fallout 4.

what do you mean? you can't raise your stats in FO anyway, unless you take a perk or undergo an operation.

actually, now that I think about it, it's probably the reason Bethesda removed it from TES. and if you think about if a little more, they'll be better off just incorporating SPECIAL into TES

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

wait, as I understood it, they just removed the possibility to raise stats on level-up, but you have to determine your stats initially.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Possibly.

But nobody seen thoes stats used in the preview or published screenshots.

It was mentioned that only derived stats (healt/magic/stamina) are now in use.

Hence the speculation that old attributes of strenght/agility/endurane/intelligence/willpower/luck are now removed from game.

Having read up a little more about Radiant Storytelling, actually, it sounds a lot, lot less impressive.

Firstly;

Quests are more dynamic, and are determined by how you build your character. Example: Say you are a Mage instead of a warrior – a magician may approach you for something, whereas is you were not a mage, you would never have spoken to him. Another example, is if you kill someone who owns a store – who didn’t do that in Oblivion? – and this store owner was at some point going to give you a quest – his sister would inherit the store, but you may have to butter her up a bit before you will get the quest.

Seriously, class-specific quests & people remembering your past misdeeds? I foresee at least ten gaming journos cry tears of joy about how this is the next big thing in RPGs and Bethesda is going WHERE NONE HAVE GONE BEFORE. Guess we'll have to wait and see whether all this actually delivers any substantial improvement.

Secondly;

“Radiant storytelling” or Level Scaling 2.0: “The game eventually logs a huge storehouse of knowledge about how you’ve played, and subsequently tailors content to your capabilities and experiences. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you’ve explored, automatically set the mission in a place you’ve never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses.”

The last bit (which wasn't quoted in this thread before) sets off alarm bells. About a thousand of them. Will you have the farmer's kidnapped shovel being guarded by rats or gold dragons?

To be fair, some other stuff does sound great. Running backwards is slower now to prevent kiting, betterd third person view, etc.