RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Maria Caliban

well thorton, i guess our anecdotes cancel eachother out.

rich accountants stealing for the thrill are probably as common as movie star shoplifters trying to one-up wynona ryder. while I'm sure that unemployed slobs who mooch off sympathetic family members are much rarer.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

that is honestly the first time I have ever heard of stealing being referred to as being thrifty. made me smile.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

that is honestly the first time I have ever heard of stealing being referred to as being thrifty. made me smile.

It's a result of pettiness becoming socially acceptable. A lot of people go 'Baah Baah' like the sheep they are and do it because the neighbors do it. Independent thought has become a rare commodity in today's instant gratification society.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's a result of pettiness becoming socially acceptable. A lot of people go 'Baah Baah' like the sheep they are and do it because the neighbors do it. Independent thought has become a rare commodity in today's instant gratification society.

Agreed in principle, in this partilcular case I think it's compounded by the fact that you can get a "luxury" product for free with essentially 0 chance for sanctions. And, as we have repeatedly seen even in this forum, it's really easy to rationalise for not paying something...

I know a lot of cheap wealthy people - all the reasonably young ones were approaching professional levels as pirates. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm not sure why the idea that people do it because it's free is that shocking for you.

It's super easy to rationalize piracy, and given that it's intellectual property you can tell yourself all sorts of things that differentiate it from other forms of theft so that you can sleep at night. Many see it as victimless, and combined with virtually no sanctions, there's not much incentive if you're already a part of the culture.

You've never had friends download an entire CD (something they could afford) of something they like off of Napster or Gnutella simply because it was easy to do and didn't cost them anything? The same thing goes for people that steal cable or satellite TV. My own father used to get unrestricted smart cards until Bell finally made it too inconvenient and inconsistent, at which point he decided to just start paying for it. I know he's not alone.

I know a lot of cheap wealthy people - all the reasonably young ones were approaching professional levels as pirates.

One of my roommates at University earned spending money by hosting a private warez site that he'd give access to for either unique .ISOs that he didn't already have, or a small fee. He doesn't do this anymore, but still takes part in a smaller exclusive group of torrent sharers through some SA goons.

Luckily, one man stands alone...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Baah

Exactly :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, it's always 'those', after all. Console piracy seems to be creeping up and up in these numbers, hm.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded - Likely old news but still interesting. Hopefully it'll actually be decent. :shifty:

I wish you good luck :sorcerer:

I've already written it off as a parody on Jagged Alliance 2.

Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded - Likely old news but still interesting. Hopefully it'll actually be decent. :sorcerer:

They're going to remake it to a RTS type system that sounds similar to Fallout Tactics.

The innovative

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Some more X-Men Destiny infos

* The tone of the game is said to be "dark, mature, & intense" striving towards an adult feel, but a Mature rating is said to not be likely.

* San Francisco is divided into human & non-human sectors as Professor X is dead.

* The game starts with a peace rally being staged to pay tribute to Professor X, which is when you are prompted to pick one of three characters in the crowd.

* OXM's Activision guide chose Adrian Luca as their character.

* The game presents the player with frozen in time "decision moments", indicating its time for players to make a big choice. The first big choice in the game allows you to pick your power archetype ranging from being able to manipulate matter and your body mass, energy projection, or a third one that was kept a secret.

* The game allows you to decide who is friend or foe in the X-Men universe.

* Cyclops, Quicksilver, Surge, Magneto, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, & Gambit are confirmed to make an appearance in the title, with plenty more to be announced.

* X-Genes play a rather large role in the game, ranging from boss fights to deciding to give it to an X-Men, or someone else to form another alliance.

* Linking together a good amount of attacks will fill up your "Mutant power" meter, allowing you to pull off even stronger special attacks.

* One of the special attacks described as a part of the "Mutant power" meter was "Force Pillars". The attack was said to produce crowd clearing beams that rise from the ground.

A really interesting After Action Report for Battle for Normandy. Not only shows what the game will be like, but also gives an introduction to proper tactics to use: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94495

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94496

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Drakensang TRoT is finally getting an official English language release rather than being available only in Luxembourg- at least for North American types who don't mind the joys of downloads, and for the cheap cheap preorder price of $18.

Gamersgate

Impulse

(Not yet listed on Steam for those wedded to the Valve)

11 Jan release date officially, the Gamersgate version also seems to be allowing random non North Americans to preorder in some cases.

Edited by Zoraptor

Drakensang TRoT is finally getting an official English language release rather than being available only in Luxembourg- at least for North American types who don't mind the joys of downloads, and for the cheap cheap preorder price of $18.

Gamersgate

Impulse

(Not yet listed on Steam for those wedded to the Valve)

11 Jan release date officially, the Gamersgate version also seems to be allowing random non North Americans to preorder in some cases.

It's a disgrace for such a good game. Dtp is the worst publisher ever.

The same will probably happen with Venetica.

(btw, the English version is available in the entire Benelux, not only Luxemburg)

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

virumor: yeah. It seems rather weird that if there's going to be only (?) DD English release that dtp would not do it themselves as they did for Stalker CoP rather than subcontracting it out to Valusoft of all people; let alone why- since the English version has obviously been ready for ages- it hasn't got a release a lot earlier...

Edited by Zoraptor

Amnesia sells 200,000 units. Some interesting bits in there:

With these figures at hand, we must confess that it gives us new confidence for the PC. The sales that we have had (and are having) are more than enough to motivate developing a game with the PC as the main (and even only) platform. Based on what we have seen, the online PC market is just getting bigger and bigger, and we are convinced we are far from the end of this growth. We think that other developers that consider making their game exclusive to a console might want to think again.

There is another really important thing that needs to be taken into account: If we have had a publisher and sold according to current figures, we would not be in the state that we are in now. More likely, we would now be something more like our first sales summary post. We would probably just have paid back our advance, and just recently been receiving royalties (at a much lower rate, like 25% of what we get now). This means that we would probably be looking for a new publishing deal at this point instead of having the freedom we now have. This does not mean that publishers are evil, just that one should think carefully before signing up for anything. Releasing a game without any financial backing or help with marketing is quite a struggle, but if you pull it off it is well worth the effort!

virumor: yeah. It seems rather weird that if there's going to be only (?) DD English release that dtp would not do it themselves as they did for Stalker CoP rather than subcontracting it out to Valusoft of all people; let alone why- since the English version has obviously been ready for ages- it hasn't got a release a lot earlier...

Releasing it digitally a year ago might at least have kept the company afloat. Three months after the German release DTP already pulled the plug.

The Dragon Knight Saga hasn't been released physically in NA either, but as I understand has been quite succesful through Steam. As much as I dislike DD, at least it's helping independent developers to stay in business, while the publishers are generally contributing to the reverse.

Here's what the Larian CEO wrote on dealign with US publishers:

Thank you for the nice words - you're right that we underinvested in PR, but to be honest, we're having a lot of trouble grabbing the attention of the larger media outlets as we're not supported by a major publisher.

I once flew to the US from Europe to do five presentations at 5 of the very large outlets - two of them had the decency to listen to my story but didn't publish anything, another one put me in front of an intern who wrote a piece which was so badly written and had nothing to do with what I showed him that it hurt, another shortened the meeting to 15 minutes after he figured out it wasn't a major publisher behind it and yet another cancelled just like that. If memory serves me right, out of that entire trip came the badly written preview, and nothing else whereas clearly certain games get plenty of coverage just to mention who the voice actors are going to be ;\)

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.