FO: NV (General Discussion)

Continues here.

I decided to start another game. Take a different path with stats, joinables and other stuff.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm close to the end of that game. I'm in limbo at the moment. I would prefer top join House's faction but I don't want to take out the BoS faction.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'd still love a slower-leveling mod. I feel like I level up with every 2-4 quests and/or a few bunches of monsters, even post-lvl 20. Too fast for my liking.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've finally reached Freeside at level 13, after some additional exploring to stumble on Red Canyon. Impressed with Papa Khan / Legion setup, it really feels like a Roman emissary out to discuss with the Hun at the head of his table. Also like the Followers springing up, and so forth - I really liked the line wehre they realise people can't just raid old hospitals for stimpacks forever, they'll run out of those things.

I'd also agree on the slower levelling thing. Never touched the GECK but surely a universal modifier is somewhere?

I'd also agree on the slower levelling thing. Never touched the GECK but surely a universal modifier is somewhere?

I think I've found the basic settings for XP related things, but there must be 60ish of them. Specific rewards seem to go in series like:

iXPRewardHackComputer 20

iXPRewardHackComputerAverage 40

iXPRewardHackComputerEasy 30

iXPRewardHackComputerHard 50

iXPRewardHackComputerVeryEasy 20

But then there's also (many) ones like these:

iXPKillCreatureAverage 6

...which look like multipliers. And then these two:

iXPBase 200

iXPBumpBase 150

But can't tell what they really mean/would do if I altered them or if they're even the right ones. I guess it's time to put on the experiment hat. Maybe just changing the "Reward" ones to be very low would at least help a lot.

(edit:I can't search Beth's fora without signing up. Phooey....)

(2nd edit:doh, LC, doh... http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Experience_Settings ... still doesn't tell me what kind of ratio they might be but I can try lowering/increasing the bases by 50 and see how that works...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've only got the .dll fix & MT UI, and won't change anything else for my first playthrough, but the bases seem like the best bet, yes.

I'm sure there will be similar mods going on by that time, but I plan on seeing if I can reduce XP gain, stimpack/ammo drop rate and hike up store prices.

Reading reviews I find it fascinating that people even compare this game to Fallout 3. Whats even more fascinating is when that comparison is negative. As in: this is all okay but F3 was better yadayadayadayada. The similarities are so superficial its mind boggling.

This tells me that reviews today are written by people who think Halo and CoD4 are the ****.

This also tells me that they played 3-5 hours of the game max and then wrote their reviews.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

The more I play the more mindboggling I find it that people could actually do the release-day reviews and stand behind them. There's just no way that they could be considered informed in any way whatsoever. There was even one that admitted he had not finished the game once.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I've only got the .dll fix & MT UI, and won't change anything else for my first playthrough, but the bases seem like the best bet, yes.

I'm sure there will be similar mods going on by that time, but I plan on seeing if I can reduce XP gain, stimpack/ammo drop rate and hike up store prices.

Raising both those bases by 50 makes the experience needed for next level increase by about 30-35%. Like to get from 16 to 17 need to reach 28000xp instead of 21200xp. Maybe that's a little too much. I just don't want to reach high lvls before I even start the Vegas main stuff simply because I like to explore and roam & randomly kill "everything".

Agree about the stimpacks, I have over 220 of them and I think I only bought about 40. I also have about 180 Sas. sodas in storage. :) Doesn't bother me to have too many since I can volunteer not to use them, the thing for me is I haven't needed to use them much at all since lvl 8....not even to heal companions. Oh, that's another one...maybe auto-self-healing of companions could be removed. Most of the time they seem to do that after they put away their weapon, unless they're crippled.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Day one reviews are superficial (and most of those that come after day one either), true, but to say that the similarities to Fallout 3 are merely superficial is a little bit reductive, don't you think?

Personally I can just say that if I was a gaming journalist and I had to review New Vegas, even after plugging 70 hours into it I still wouldn't feel like I could tackle it. It's a massive and complex game.

I was pretty much convinced throughout all the quest that the emissary was an impostor because he pronounced Caesar the wrong way. Instead it was just an error with the voice acting. Disappointed.

I actually remember him pronouncing it correctly.

I was pretty much convinced throughout all the quest that the emissary was an impostor because he pronounced Caesar the wrong way. Instead it was just an error with the voice acting. Disappointed.

I actually remember him pronouncing it correctly.

You sure? Pretty sure he consistently said See-zar in my playthrough. In my new playthrough I'm vilified by the Great Khans, so it's unlikely that I'll get the chance to talk with that ambassador.

He does both. Most of the times it's the "faulty" pronounciation but there is at least one line with the correct one. So the writer for that area probably forgot to put a note on the faulty ones on how it should be pronounced by the VA.

About similarities to F3, I think it's a bit of a cop-out to claim that the gameplay is either totally different or totally the same when compared to F3. You have to dig a bit deeper because there many things that factor in. I didn't care for F3 much and yet I quite like the New Vegas gameplay. It's similar in many ways but the many details that were changed, and stuff like how the world is built (much less level scaling, more territorial creatures instead of just being "scattered" across the map) all factor into how the game plays.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

He does both. Most of the times it's the "faulty" pronounciation but there is at least one line with the correct one. So the writer for that area probably forgot to put a note on the faulty ones on how it should be pronounced by the VA.

Wouldn't it be possible then to mod those for a semi-proffessional sound editor?

Day one reviews are superficial (and most of those that come after day one either), true, but to say that the similarities to Fallout 3 are merely superficial is a little bit reductive, don't you think?

Personally I can just say that if I was a gaming journalist and I had to review New Vegas, even after plugging 70 hours into it I still wouldn't feel like I could tackle it. It's a massive and complex game.

The core game is the same but everything else has subtle or huge differences. The end result is a wholly different product. You can compare them as games but you;d be hard pressed to compare them as Fallout games. FNV is a Fallout game. F3 is epic fantasy (Oblivion) in a Fallout skin.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

FNV is a Fallout game. F3 is epic fantasy (Oblivion) in a Fallout skin.

I would've never thought this was even debatable, but of course some people never seize to amaze me :)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The core game is the same but everything else has subtle or huge differences. The end result is a wholly different product. You can compare them as games but you;d be hard pressed to compare them as Fallout games. FNV is a Fallout game. F3 is epic fantasy (Oblivion) in a Fallout skin.

I kinda see where you're coming from but no.

A fantasy game as morally ambivalent and dark would be a nice change, though. As opposed to DaRK HeROiC FanTAsy!!!

sonsofgygax.JPG

Actually, I think FNV is quite clearly a more darker gameworld than DAO, I don't know how you could look past the fact that there's a lot more ruin, loss, hopelessness, cynicism, antipathy, etc. DAO's attempts at epic-dark was actually counterproductive for such a purpose.

I don't think Fallout 3, or heck, even New Vegas are that much darker than, say, Dragon Age, or Baldur's Gate II.

Seriously? I dunno it just feels different, even at it's darkest Ferelden is about as dark as a Ren Fair in Wisconsin.

sonsofgygax.JPG