More UFO Madness

Monte Carlo

Wow, I didn't realize I shared the board with a bunch of nutjobs(well, more nutjobs, anyway).

Sometimes it's just nice to keep a professional distance and only talk about video games...

Why hello, there.

So I guess that'll make you Mulder and by the end of the episode we'll have more unsolved questions than we have answers? :lol:

FTL travel does not exist. I'm sorry to burst all your sci-fi fantasies, but I can say this with 100% certainty - it's obvious to anyone with any knowledge of physics.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

FTL travel does not exist. I'm sorry to burst all your sci-fi fantasies, but I can say this with 100% certainty - it's obvious to anyone with any knowledge of physics.

How does physics explain entangled photons?

The university of Vienna has investigated the phenomena for years, trying to discover what makes one photon "communicate" effects to it's twin faster than light.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The university of Vienna has investigated the phenomena for years, trying to discover what makes one photon "communicate" effects to it's twin faster than light.

The general consensus is that the don't, they appear to be because of relativity. Maybe i'm wrong, I will need to check up on my quantum physics but I think it has something to do with the uncertainty principle.

Edit:btw Oblarg, I think that is accelerations beyond FTL that don't exist. FTL could be achieved by bending space.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

There's no "communication" between entangled particles - that's a common misconception. Observing one simply determines the state of both - when you look at how wonky most quantum physics is, it's not all that unbelievable. It still doesn't have any relevance to FTL travel.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

There's no "communication" between entangled particles - that's a common misconception. Observing one simply determines the state of both - when you look at how wonky most quantum physics is, it's not all that unbelievable. It still doesn't have any relevance to FTL travel.

Well, you sort of have to learn how to walk before you run faster than light... :thumbsup:

The beauty of physics is that we don't know it all, only what we have been able to grasp, observe and theorise about so far. I'm normally not a believer in anything, but I do have certain degree of faith in human curiosity. Not possible doesn't exist, only unsolved puzzles.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, you sort of have to learn how to walk before you run faster than light... :thumbsup:

The beauty of physics is that we don't know it all, only what we have been able to grasp, observe and theorise about so far. I'm normally not a believer in anything, but I do have certain degree of faith in human curiosity. Not possible doesn't exist, only unsolved puzzles.

That does not change the fact that we know enough to know that FTL travel is impossible. Discounting our current knowledge because "well we might discover that it's wrong" is simply an ignorant thing to do.

Not possible certainly exists.

That does not change the fact that we know enough to know that FTL travel is impossible. Discounting our current knowledge because "well we might discover that it's wrong" is simply an ignorant thing to do.

Luckily for us, there are people who look beyond the horizons of current knowledge and try to push the barriers, otherwise we would still live in caves and be scared of lightning.

Not possible certainly exists.

What about Time travel? aliens could have one of those.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Luckily for us, there are people who look beyond the horizons of current knowledge and try to push the barriers, otherwise we would still live in caves be scared of lightning.

This isn't about having an open mind - this is about cold, hard truth. You can ramble on all you want about how believing that our current knowledge is incomplete means that FTL travel is possible, but the fact is that it is not. You're fooling yourself.

Luckily for us, there are people who look beyond the horizons of current knowledge and try to push the barriers, otherwise we would still live in caves be scared of lightning.

This isn't about having an open mind - this is about cold, hard truth. You can ramble on all you want about how believing that our current knowledge is incomplete means that FTL travel is possible, but the fact is that it is not. You're fooling yourself.

You sound like you find the very idea that Einstein could be wrong offensive?

It's not just Einstein, bro. Strawmanning won't help you.

Edited by Oblarg

It's not just Einstein, bro. Strawmanning won't help you.

Ah, I thought he was the first to promote the idea that FTL wasn't possible. You sure treat it like a religion thing. Not sure who ruined your day.

Accepting status quo never (rarely) lead to any progress. I prefer to not lay down and die just because people tell me that my next goal is impossible. Otherwise I wouldn't be where I am today. Even if the original outlined path to achieve something turns out to be "not viable", you might discover alternative ways of achieving the same result, sometimes in completely unexpected ways. You wont know until you try though.

Guest The Architect
Let's put it this way. You better hope they either don't exist or can't visit us. If they can travel faster than light, nuclear weapons become redundant. An FTL lump of iron is a doomsday weapon.

If their ship so much as crash landed then you could say goodbye to cities.

We have no intention of crash landing our ships on your planet, Earthling.

I am a sucker for a UFO story, any UFO craziness brings out the Lone Gunman in me.

I so badly want there to be aliens. OK, I want them to be friendly aliens, not scary human-eating reptiles, but that's not important right now.

So check out this story in a not-very-good UK newspaper.

Does anyone here know anything about these guys or are they the real deal? And, if anybody here is of a scientific bent, why might a saucer be an optimal shape for a space-craft?

Cheers

MC

I have yet to see an even remotely convincing 'spaceship' picture. Ever. :huh:

But I do think life on other worlds is at least possible. Whether it would be advanced enough to even have a chance of discovering our planet, let alone somehow either rapidly travel back & forth to frequently spy & report on us or have near-by bases somewhere as they watch the planet for hundreds of years is another matter. Again, it's possible...but I don't consider it very probable. (edit) Even if you could have some degree of FTL travel, space is BIG. I think you'd need those sci-fi wormholes instead. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nah, based on what was considered as scientific consencus, i wouldn't be surprised if humanity found a way. Also with your argument, you have to proove that despite all knowledge about everything, FTL travel is impossible.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Simple - they want to sell us stuff on account of our galactic scale greed.

Also, they may want some really well adapted mercenaries. (I stole this one from Alan Dean Foster)

Hey, the "we advanced aliens can't commit warfare for ethical/philosophical/neurological reasons, so we're here to get you humans to fight for us" has been used in way more sci-fi then just ADF's...

Really? Which ones?

I just like the notion that to some other species, I'm an ogryn.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Simple - they want to sell us stuff on account of our galactic scale greed.

Also, they may want some really well adapted mercenaries. (I stole this one from Alan Dean Foster)

Hey, the "we advanced aliens can't commit warfare for ethical/philosophical/neurological reasons, so we're here to get you humans to fight for us" has been used in way more sci-fi then just ADF's...

Really? Which ones?

I just like the notion that to some other species, I'm an ogryn.

Tanya Huff's Confederation series.. - The Elder species are involved in a war and find humanity , offering to "uplift" them if they're willing to serve as military because as "advanced , moral beings they can't physically handle combat themselves.". They later discover a couple of other "young species" which can fight, but since humanity was first, it's the reason the Confederation Military is based around Human Marine design...

A few of the Baen authors have done similar.. John Ringo's Alldenata saga for one (mm roast-suckling damn-beast...)

Way more might sound hyperbole now.. but my memory has decided to blow chunks .. I know I've read a batch over the years that have used that to some degree or another.. .

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

No fans of the berserker theory? :'(

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I accept that when they do find alien life it will probably be as exciting as plankton.

OHhhh , plankton :shifty:

village_idiot.gif

Guest The Architect
I accept that when they do find alien life it will probably be as exciting as plankton.

Yeah probably, and then that alien life in millions of years will evolve to find other alien life in bacterial form long after the human race is extinct, and the cycle of underwhelming discoveries of alien life on distant planets will continue.

Edited by The Architect

Do not underestimate the power of the blue killer algae!