New copyright enforcement bill on its way

Meshugger

Like I said, people can't figure out word or how to download attachments from their computer, and you expect them not only to download and run torrents and programs, but also to be able to get a program to mount the files, and tweak it so it runs wiht the crack they need...

Ever seen your grandparents play a ps2? it's like that.

The average video game consumer is not a clueless grandparent.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Like I said, people can't figure out word or how to download attachments from their computer, and you expect them not only to download and run torrents and programs, but also to be able to get a program to mount the files, and tweak it so it runs wiht the crack they need...

Ever seen your grandparents play a ps2? it's like that.

The average video game consumer is not a clueless grandparent.

The average video game consumer doesn't play on the pc to much

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I discus piracy with a lot of my gamer friends and I agree with Calax, it's actually only a few of them that knows how to use torrents - most would know how to download music and small programs - but when it comes to cracking games and installing workarounds only a few have a clue what to do.. Only a handful of my friends even know how to properly install mods, I have to help a lot of them with simple things like editing text files etc. So piracy for them is definitely out of the picture.

Fortune favors the bald.

There is no "knowing how to use torrents." It's just double clicking.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Now you're just being obtuse Oblarg.

There is no "knowing how to" it's all just movement of your muscles so EVERYONE should do EVERYTHING!

Now you're just being obtuse Oblarg.

There is no "knowing how to" it's all just movement of your muscles so EVERYONE should do EVERYTHING!

No, really, I don't see how someone can "not know how" to open a .torrent file. You double click on it, like every other file.

I wasn't referring specifically to the file extension but rather to whole concept behind it - it seems a lot of people (luckily?) have absolutely no idea how torrents work, even though they are easy to use.

Fortune favors the bald.

I wasn't referring specifically to the file extension but rather to whole concept behind it - it seems a lot of people (luckily?) have absolutely no idea how torrents work, even though they are easy to use.

You don't have to know how the download protocol itself works to know how to use the client. The argument that people don't pirate games because they can't figure out how to work bittorrent is laughable.

You don't have to know how the download protocol itself works to know how to use the client. The argument that people don't pirate games because they can't figure out how to work bittorrent is laughable.

Ok, you can possibly just have torrents work if somebody gave you the torrent client and pointed to you where to find the torrents.......

but what about everything else? The no cd crack, the mounting tools, the futzing with gamefiles to make it so they don't fight you with drm...

Ok, you can possibly just have torrents work if somebody gave you the torrent client and pointed to you where to find the torrents.......

but what about everything else? The no cd crack, the mounting tools, the futzing with gamefiles to make it so they don't fight you with drm...

Now that bit is more reasonable, yes, but I still think you guys are underestimating the cognitive abilities of your average gamer. They may not be the smartest people ever, but I really have a hard time believing they're all retarded.

Now that bit is more reasonable, yes, but I still think you guys are underestimating the cognitive abilities of your average gamer. They may not be the smartest people ever, but I really have a hard time believing they're all retarded.

You know, driving a bike is the most simple thing in the world.. once you've learned how.. I think it's rather harsh to call people retarted just because they don't know something, which you incidentally find very easy. We are not born with the instant-knowledge of computer operation and believe it or not, many gamers are actually not very advanced users. For them, anything beyond an install wizard and a very thorough install guide can be quite daunting. Imagine you never took the time to familiarize yourself with a computer beyond watching movies, playing games and now you have to suddenly install a fake DVD drive, mount and iso, apply a crack etc etc.. I'm not generalizing out of some prejudice, I base this on actually seeing friends handle computers and programs - most of them really don't know some (imho) very basic things.

Fortune favors the bald.

How would you explain the peer numbers then? Speaking of which I actually have to check on game distribution and internet access. See if most of these guys are in areas where the game is available. :exeunt stage right:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

How would you explain the peer numbers then? Speaking of which I actually have to check on game distribution and internet access. See if most of these guys are in areas where the game is available. :exeunt stage right:

The internet going crew (like board users etc) represent a vast minority of those who have play games. And having the internet doesn't mean you're totally proficient in using it.

The internet going crew (like board users etc) represent a vast minority of those who have play games. And having the internet doesn't mean you're totally proficient in using it.

Discounting the minority of people in third world who have access to the internet and the ones in remote locations of civilized countries, the majority of them are in the states. Plus you don't really need to be that proficient to burn or mount a game.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The point Oro, is that you seem to assume that the layman is easily able to pick up a computer, and then instantly pirate, mount, install and crack a game without anyone showing them how. That good sir, is utter tripe.

The point Oro, is that you seem to assume that the layman is easily able to pick up a computer, and then instantly pirate, mount, install and crack a game without anyone showing them how. That good sir, is utter tripe.

No, it's not. Maybe not instantly, but with an hour or so of toying around, sure.

No, it's not. Maybe not instantly, but with an hour or so of toying around, sure.

You think your average gamer is going to plink around for an hour with practically no clue to figure out this thing he heard rumors of?

You think your average gamer is going to plink around for an hour with practically no clue to figure out this thing he heard rumors of?

I don't think it's mad to suggest that most people could be expected to TRY and figure out something for an hour if it was going to save them 30 quid. Not many people earn more than that an hour.

I'm not saying I condone it, but then I have a TV license, and I'm not technically obliged to have one. I just enjoy the BBC's output online and feel morally commmitted to having it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd say it comes down to age more than anything. Most of the folks I know who pirate (or who I suspect pirate) are young. As you get older, two things happen. One, you get a bit more cash in your pocket, and two, you realize that cash was hard to get and you feel less comfortable taking stuff for free.

The other day I bought Ice Cream, and they gave me my daughter's scoop for free. So I turned around and stuffed a couple bucks in the tip jar. I also wasn't charged for a drink at a local deli, so I went to the counter and let them know. I'm not sure if I would have done that as a teenager.

The NFO files are sometimes very helpful, seen some that provide links to the tools needed, etc. Although it is amusing to read the comments sections and boggle at how many people are failing to RTFM.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd say it comes down to age more than anything. Most of the folks I know who pirate (or who I suspect pirate) are young. As you get older, two things happen. One, you get a bit more cash in your pocket, and two, you realize that cash was hard to get and you feel less comfortable taking stuff for free.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, and I've seen the change in myself.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

If a significant majority of customers do not have the incentive(either by being inconvienced by something they bought, or because it allows them to run and play the games they own with more ease,or because its free) to pirate software how can it be such a big issue? Are these multi-billion/million corporations overeacting?

Are they simply not able to adjust to how there are so many other ways for people to find entertainment?

Edited by Irrelevant

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk