Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

funcroc

The Well of Souls is a magical edifice built by a gnome named, Fomorious Hughes

1. The Well of Souls was in Raiders of the Lost Ark

2. Gnomes = fail

3. Fomorious Hughes? More fail.

More vanilla nonsense confirmed. Monte says no.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Could be me, but I'm not seeing anything worthy of hype in this game. Combat could be fun, but I really am not that interested in Diablo-like loot and God of War-style combat in an open-world RPG, the game is probably going to be fairly limited in the feeling of openness thanks to things like the absence of jump, I don't really dig the WoW-y art design (subjective, of course) and the setting and story haven't peaked my interest so far. Also the goddamn names. Do skeletons really need to have weird-sounding elaborate names like Faer Gotha just to make you think "WE HAVE OUR UNIQUE SETTING"?

If you have a unique setting, surely there are better ways to show that than to give everything a different name.

Could be me, but I'm not seeing anything worthy of hype in this game. Combat could be fun, but I really am not that interested in Diablo-like loot and God of War-style combat in an open-world RPG, the game is probably going to be fairly limited in the feeling of openness thanks to things like the absence of jump, I don't really dig the WoW-y art design (subjective, of course) and the setting and story haven't peaked my interest so far. Also the goddamn names. Do skeletons really need to have weird-sounding elaborate names like Faer Gotha just to make you think "WE HAVE OUR UNIQUE SETTING"?

If you have a unique setting, surely there are better ways to show that than to give everything a different name.

How do you feel about DS3, in comparison?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Could be me, but I'm not seeing anything worthy of hype in this game. Combat could be fun, but I really am not that interested in Diablo-like loot and God of War-style combat in an open-world RPG

What sort of melee combat would you like in your open-world RPG? Because if it's at all "actiony", it usually winds up being spastic flailing.

What sort of melee combat would you like in your open-world RPG? Because if it's at all "actiony", it usually winds up being spastic flailing.

Something closer to Risen (albeit more polished). More based on having to find openings in your enemies defenses and with a slightly slower pacing. Action-game combat is perfectly fine, I simply don't really associate it with the "explore every nook and cranny" feel of an open world game, but that might just be me.

Wait, this is that Salvatore/McFarlane/someoneelse game? I thought it was vaporware.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

off topic, but i always liked the world of Myth, would be cool to see an rpg in that setting.

edit: and yes I know its mostly glenn cook knockoff stuff, but it was done really well in-game

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

looks like fable.

I didn't really care for fable.

Hard to get excited...

will wait for reviews

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Main reason I hate Fable is I consider the humor in the original was painful. To the point that I'm not sure if the points I hate are actually meant to be humorous or are just so terrible that I can't take it seriously, hero.

That said, I can't say this looks like anything. Even were it to be Fable, I won't dismiss it. The CG trailer is pretty low budget though.

Edited by Tale

fable just is so simple and easy that even it's charms got old after a short time because it felt like i could just sleepwalk through the game mashing attack. I'd actually barely call it a game since the gameplay is so thin, its more like a mediocre animated movie that has a bland plot, and it takes 8 hours to finish.

if this game were to be emulating demon's souls then I'd be a bit more interested (though honestly, i would have liked demon's souls more if it was a tad easier, or at least had an easy mode toggle for when I needed to get past a particularly tough area)

when i first heard about it I was expecting something halfway between diablo and morrowind, which sounds awesome. this doesnt look like what I was picturing.

Where are you getting the detail to say it looks easy?

Where are you getting the detail to say it looks easy?

lol I wasnt!

I was just trying to say that choosing an art style to emulate a bad game is a poor choice, because it conjures memories of said bad game, and leaves no enthusiasm for the new game.

edit: im not writing this off, just saying it looks uninteresting. I'm a sucker for good games, and will buy this if it ends up being good. but right now, it doesnt LOOK like its going to be good. bad first impression and all that

Edited by entrerix

For those interested I went to PAX got lots of video and the like. One was the Reckoning panel, you can see all the pics, video and info I got here..

http://www.wodnews.net/Articles/Blogs.aspx

Under PAX Report #2

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

did it look better in person?

the game that is... not the quality of the footage

Edited by entrerix

• 4 weeks later...