Alpha Protocol Reviews

I just thought you may be interested in some reviews made by actual players and not websites which got most likely paid to pull the title through dirt by giving it terrible scores (I heard that many reviews were that awful because they were bribed), the place where I buy most of my games allows customers to write their own reviews, and all of them are pretty good for AP, so devs, cheer up a bit!

LINK HERE

(the reviews are close to the bottom of the page)

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png

"I just thought you may be interested in some reviews made by actual players and not websites which got most likely paid to pull the title through dirt by giving it terrible scores (I heard that many reviews were that awful because they were bribed)"

This is just ridiculousness.

Hey, I'm an actual player, and here's my brief review: AP is simply not a good game. It fails in every meaningful way. Itt's so called big point of C&C is overrated/lacklustre/just not a big deal, the combat is just not good, the main protagnist is just a lame Sheppard wannabe, the main plot is your sterotypical terroriost strike tied in with gov't conspiracy which got old by the end of the first season of a certain TV show that recently ended, the character system is alright but nothing unique or special, the characters are unformly bland and forgettable even the so called 'hot' chicks are failures comapred to other games' 'hot chicks' (mmm ME2 and BL) mmm), the graphics are okay, the music is literally forgetabble ie. i cna't remember one, a certain mini game is the worst one in existence, need I go on?

AP could have been good. But it's an utterly failure. The sad part is none of those reasons are why it failed finanically and/or crticially. It failed because it lamely try to piggy back on better games that had the basic concepts and AP simply could not deliver. Tood bad too as there was some early potential.

This is Obsidian's biggest downfall because at least SOZ was just an expansion. But, this was their first original Ip, and they dropped the ball.

NWN2 OC = Above average

KOTOR2 = Average

MOTB = DA AWESOMENESS

SOZ = SOZZY

AP = OO Spaghettio

Hopefully, DS3 turns things around as that's another game that has some ptoentially for some fun (even though I don't care for the earlier DS games).

Obsidian is a good company that made a bad game. It happens (see BIO with Sonic RPG even though I didn't even bother to play that one). Hopefully, thjey'll learn from their mistakes, and next time out they'll bring the sweetness.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I just thought you may be interested in some reviews made by actual players and not websites which got most likely paid to pull the title through dirt by giving it terrible scores (I heard that many reviews were that awful because they were bribed), the place where I buy most of my games allows customers to write their own reviews, and all of them are pretty good for AP, so devs, cheer up a bit!

Thanks for the laughs, man.

reading these replies, I wonder what you people still do on the Obsidian forums :thumbsup:

I heard that lots of people who post here are actually bribed to post.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"reading these replies, I wonder what you people still do on the Obsidian forums"

NWN2 OC = Above average

KOTOR2 = Average

MOTB = DA AWESOMENESS

All 3 of which are very fun games. Plus, I enjoyed Avellone and company's work on games like FO2 and PST. *shrug*

"reading these replies, I wonder what you people still do on the Obsidian forums"

NWN2 OC = Above average

KOTOR2 = Average

MOTB = DA AWESOMENESS

All 3 of which are very fun games. Plus, I enjoyed Avellone and company's work on games like FO2 and PST. *shrug*

Also, atleast from a story standpoint Kotor 2 was anything BUT average. Especially for the SW universe.

Also SOZ at least had lots of fun combat in my opinion. I foung the OC weaker.

"Also, atleast from a story standpoint Kotor 2 was anything BUT average. Especially for the SW universe."

The story was slightly above average espicially for the SW universe. Sorry, 'but the force is evil and must be destroyed' is not a deep story.

"Also SOZ at least had lots of fun combat in my opinion."

SOZ had horrible combat. SOZ makes AP look like PST, FO, or BG2.

" I foung the OC weaker."

Nah. the OC was better in basically every aspect.

"fun combat is the last thing that comes to mind."

Disagree. The combat in NNWN2 engine is pretty darn good. Too bad SOZ didn't take advantage of that.

I am skeptical that bad review scores came about due to bribes.

Probably not. But good (or even average) scores on some games are due to "bribery". Internet sites that get add revenue from certain games/companies won't review those games as strictly as they would otherwise, since they would lose money. Same goes for magazines. Piss off one of the major publishers bad enough and your magazine will have to make due without exclusives and/or any advertising from the company. Didn't someone from Gamespot even get fired for being "too harsh" on Kane & Lynch (or something like that) and Gamespot released a "better" review later on...

Not to mention all those world first exclusives, they ain't free either. One of the finnish magazines I read have written articles about it quite often. Publishers will offer them an exclusive in Finland and then demand for example 10 pages for the preview and the cover of the magazine etc. And if you do take that exclusive some companies will make sure you have lots and lots of fun while going to see the preview for the game. Small (or big) things like that will have some effect on the reviewer. Not to mention gain the game some marketing buzz.

Not to mention a review score starting with 6 or 7 (or 3 stars out of 5) usually means it won't sell and/or that the game is bad in one way or another. Compare that to movies where 3 stars is totally acceptable. People will still go watch the movie and buy it...

Hate the living, love the dead.

The whole game journalism is a big joke, I don't know why everyone is so concerned with it here.

"fun combat is the last thing that comes to mind."

Disagree. The combat in NNWN2 engine is pretty darn good. Too bad SOZ didn't take advantage of that.

I felt it was missing the tactical aspect, sending everyone into melee got me the same results as meticulously pausing and managing my spells and whatnot.

The whole game journalism is a big joke, I don't know why everyone is so concerned with it here.

Because like it or not, they (and metacritic) have a big impact. For whatever reason that may be.

And thus, no sequel, and less sales of AP in general. And kiddies who mimic the reviews saying that AP is buggy while it's got equal (or less) that of the big titles like MW2, ME2, F3, Oblivion etc. where you hear nothing of them...

Ah...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The mainstream doesn't read game reviews, but the mainstream isn't really the target audience for a new IP either, especially without some serious marketing muscle behind it. If enough reviews say the same thing, it will eventually reach some of the general consciousness by word of mouth, but that is a far cry from actually reading specific reviews. Companies do use Metacritic ratings as a measure of success, for whatever reason.

Alpha Protocols bugginess, on the other hand, is well documented. I don't know why you would be making such obviously false claims.

"Also, atleast from a story standpoint Kotor 2 was anything BUT average. Especially for the SW universe."

The story was slightly above average espicially for the SW universe. Sorry, 'but the force is evil and must be destroyed' is not a deep story.

My bitch slap hand is trembling right now...

Alpha Protocols bugginess, on the other hand, is well documented. I don't know why you would be making such obviously false claims.
Good thing he didn't. :)

My bitch slap hand is trembling right now...
It's just Volo, disregard.

It's certainly more buggy than the games that he compared them to. Might want to pick some buggier examples next time.

Don't know about others, but I encountered more bugs in ME2 than in two playthroughs of AP.

Hate the living, love the dead.

*shrug* Bugs aren't the reason why AP failed.

"My bitch slap hand is trembling right now..."

Threatening violence over video games. That's the internet in the nutshell.

OMGZ Someone doesn't agree with me about soemthing... I MUST HURT HIM HORRIBLY!