It's hot

Walsingham

Does anyone know how long we can expect this hot spell to last? I just checked the BBC and they reckon at least five more days at 25 degrees plus.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

20 here, nothing special.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I just checked the BBC and they reckon at least five more days at 25 degrees plus.

:lol:

Sorry Wals... 25 degrees is when people here start considering a t-shirt :ermm:

That reminds me, I promised the family back home to take pictures from a bus stop some day. They laughed when I told them that at 15 degrees, the locals will wear mitts, scarves and beanies and do a little jogging on the spot trying to keep warm when waiting for the bus :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

25? Are you serious? You know a heat wave in Australia is basically twice that, right?

@Gorth: 15 is when us Canadians man up and start wearing t-shirts. :ermm:

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I'm an energetic fat man right now, and English. So for me 25 is bloody melty.

I just want to now if I should buy a new wardrobe.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

While I don't think it's "bloody melty" until at least 32C or so, I am the sort who wears flip flops, shorts and tank tops (or nothing...) when it's 20-22C (70ish F) so I can sympathize not liking heat. :lol: I do like the upper 70's F when outside w/a light breeze/in the shade etc but can't stand it being that temp inside the house.

I remember a few days ago, however, some news headlines talking about your heat wave, complete with photos of ppl 'cooling' off by sitting with feet in fountains and under sprinklers, and it was maybe 74F...which made me chuckle. Even I wouldn't find that so hot I'd need to cool off in that fashion. heh

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's 105 degrees outside in this forsaken desert of hell. I'm angry and sweaty.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

We had our office picnic on Wednesday. I was one of two volunteers who ran the grill. That meant over 2 hours in front of hot coals, in direct midday sunlight, in about 95 F (35 C) temperatures. I drank about 3 beers, 2 12-oz. waters, and 1 can of soda, and I didn't go to the bathroom once.

And the marinaded mushrooms I brought were really good.

Does anyone know how long we can expect this hot spell to last? I just checked the BBC and they reckon at least five more days at 25 degrees plus.

It's 38c here, and it's 7:00 pm! Brits are such heat wusses!

(j/k)

It's 105 degrees outside in this forsaken desert of hell. I'm angry and sweaty.

Its been 105-110 (42-43 degrees Celsius) in Tucson & Phoenix. The airconditioner in my car decided to crap out so I'm in hell anytime I drive. I heard in Phoenix 20 years ago this day it was 122. :lol:

Kind of a cool website for Americans who don't know Fahrenheit to Celsius or the rest of the crazy world who uses Celsius. :)

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Kind of a cool website for Americans who don't know Fahrenheit to Celsius or the rest of the crazy world who uses Celsius. :lol:

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

I find it best to memorize a few set points, and understand that as degrees F increase/decrease from those points, degrees C move at a 9F:5C ratio (i.e., close enough to 2:1 for casual understanding purposes). Those set points are:

32 F = 0 C

50 F = 10 C

61 F = 16 C

82 F = 28 C

(those last 2 are approximate, but close enough for the palindromic mnemonic to work for quick-and-dirty calculations)

I also know the point where the 2 scales are equal (-40), but, thankfully, I never really have to deal with measurements in that range.

Edited by Enoch

(j/k)

Anything more than overcast, biting cold wind and a slight drizzle is hot for an Englishman. They probably turn to dust if hit by UV light ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

(j/k)

Basically this (I think)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've been skiing in Queenstown for the past few days. 2.2km above sea level, white as far as the eye can see, clear sky with the sun beaming down and no windchill... brilliant!

As a Swede born with ice in my veins, 25C is very hot indeed. The Swedish brain will actually stop working at anything above 23,9C as has been proven by one of our institutes.

sleeping460.jpg

Swedish man trying to work at a scorching 24C

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

^ Although, to be fair, he's of viking stock so is hard enough to wear a knitted woollen tank-top during a heat-wave.

All the best viking warriors looked like they were accountants, that's why they were so feared! They'd infiltrated your settlement taking over your monetary apparatus then BAM all of a sudden there are nerds with battleaxes running riot.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That would explain the extreme surprise they achieved during the raids on the East Anglian coastline.

"Artur, what is that dragon-headed ship out yonder?"

"'Tis the end of the tax year, fear not."

sonsofgygax.JPG

Another hot day in Jersey (though not high in humidity):

91 F (33 C)

Feels like: 96 F (36 C)

Humidity: 50% (past week or so it's been 75+, typical for jersey summer day).

And an awesome excessive heat warning:

Issued by The National Weather Service

Philadelphia, PA

9:42 am EDT, Mon., Jun. 28, 2010

... EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING.

THE COMBINATION OF NEAR RECORD HEAT AND INCREASING HUMIDITY WILL RESULT IN HEAT INDEX VALUES POSSIBLY REACHING EXCEEDING 100 DEGREES FOR 1 TO 3 HOURS THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS THE REGION. IN THE URBANIZED AREAS... LOOK FOR HEAT INDEX VALUES TO TOP OUT AROUND 101 DEGREES.

A COLD FRONT ENTERING THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING WILL PUNCTUATE THE EXCESSIVE WARMTH WITH SCATTERED INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS THAT COULD CAUSE POWER OUTAGES.

SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER MORE COMFORTABLE AIR WILL ARRIVE TUESDAY AND REMAIN THROUGH FRIDAY... BEFORE HOT WEATHER RETURNS BY THE FOURTH OF JULY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING MEANS THAT A PROLONGED PERIOD OF DANGEROUSLY HOT TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A DANGEROUS SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE LIKELY. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS... STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM... STAY OUT OF THE SUN... AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.

&&

Edited by Syraxis

If it ain't -20 I ain't happy, I hate the heat, infact I hate 15c nevermind the current spate of hot English rain, Yes I want it to rain, and I don't want it to stop unless it decides to snow.

You can keep your hot climates you goddamn freaks of nature!

Guildford is also far too humid... Sunday I was sat in my pants SWEATING, and this was at midnight!

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!