Top 100 Videogame Villains - IGN

Manannan was a great adventure game villain. In a genre dominated by picking up random objects, here's a guy who kills you on the spot for picking up random objects. :)

I would also mention Von Glower from GK2 and Katrina from QfG4 as memorable villains.

And it is a disgrace that Kreia's not there.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

A list that doesn't have Irenicus in the top 10 isn't worth discussing.

Meh, I don't think Irenicus is THAT good as a villain.

To be honest I've quite a lot of difficulties in finding a credible WRPG villain.. Kreia was a good character, but she fell flat as a villain in the end, Irenicus has a great build-up but I never felt he was interesting enough as a villain , The Master, considering the structure of Fallout, feels a bit tacked-on at the end, and while the Enclave has a better build-up they feel a bit flat and uninteresting as villains (they fit nicely in the setting though) and I could go on...

Kreia has one awesome thing going for her, I noticed this while exploring TV Tropes.

There's a plot point in KotOR II that you don't like? No worries, Kreia is a liar, disregard.

How many games have plot points that annoy you to hell and back? In the case of KotOR II all you had to do was say the magic words and *poof* problem solved! Meta person indeed.

Kreia has one awesome thing going for her, I noticed this while exploring TV Tropes.

There's a plot point in KotOR II that you don't like? No worries, Kreia is a liar, disregard.

How many games have plot points that annoy you to hell and back? In the case of KotOR II all you had to do was say the magic words and *poof* problem solved! Meta person indeed.

To be honest, I don't think the devs went that far with making Kreia a liar.. there are some bits (like when she's training you) where is pretty clear that she's being honest with you and I think what made her interesting as a character was that she was a teacher to your character not the 'LULZ SITH LORD!' bits in the end.

Granted, the restoration pack makes the ending better, but I still think the execution could have used some work (feels strange to see the so manipulative Kreia simply beat you and go to Malachor V instead of tricking you into going there or something).

To be honest, I don't think the devs went that far with making Kreia a liar.. there are some bits (like when she's training you) where is pretty clear that she's being honest with you and I think what made her interesting as a character was that she was a teacher to your character not the 'LULZ SITH LORD!' bits in the end.

Sure, yes, but other, bigger liars were never treated like this.

Meh, I don't think Irenicus is THAT good as a villain.

To be honest I've quite a lot of difficulties in finding a credible WRPG villain.. Kreia was a good character, but she fell flat as a villain in the end, Irenicus has a great build-up but I never felt he was interesting enough as a villain , The Master, considering the structure of Fallout, feels a bit tacked-on at the end, and while the Enclave has a better build-up they feel a bit flat and uninteresting as villains (they fit nicely in the setting though) and I could go on...

It's because of the excellent voice actor. If not for this, he would be as memorable as the Lizard Queen from NWN.

He's basically a major idiot for thinking a mortal could force himself into the Seldarine, somehow thinking Corellon Larethian would accept it, and giving up the love of his life (a hawt Elven Queen) for it. It's crap writing that an archmage isn't familiar with basic D&D lore.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Irenicus is driven purely by petty vengeance for something that is his own stupid fault. He's... pathetic.

Sarevok & Melissan were both crafty, and their plans failed only by a hair. I like 'em much better.

Edited by virumor

Sarevok is much cooler than Jon Irenicus, he has a bwuahahahaha laugh, wears a big suit of black platemail and kills your stepdad after being hit with a magic missile. He has platoons of mooks trying to kill you and lives in an old graveyard in a dungeon under a city. Honestly, he's a proper D&D villain and no mistake, AND you can recruit him and use his really cheezy powaz later on.

And although she's only a minor character, the Drow chick you have to work for in the Underdark in BG2 is great: sexy, completely amoral, scheming...

sonsofgygax.JPG

And although she's only a minor character, the Drow chick you have to work for in the Underdark in BG2 is great: sexy, completely amoral, scheming...

If BG2 were made in the present day, I bet there'd be a gratuitous threesome with Viconia thrown in for good measure. R00fles!

If BG2 were made in the present day, I bet there'd be a gratuitous threesome with Viconia thrown in for good measure. R00fles!

Bioware still was at the beginning of their shining romance career, cut them some slack... :sorcerer:

Sarevok is much cooler than Jon Irenicus, he has a bwuahahahaha laugh, wears a big suit of black platemail and kills your stepdad after being hit with a magic missile. He has platoons of mooks trying to kill you and lives in an old graveyard in a dungeon under a city. Honestly, he's a proper D&D villain and no mistake, AND you can recruit him and use his really cheezy powaz later on.

Phaere. Its a drow's duty to scheme and plot. :p

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Phaere. Its a drow's duty to scheme and plot. :)

Viconia's reaction to sleeping with the hag is superb. Her romance really is the only good one BioWare's ever written. Anyone know who wrote it?

I mostly disagree with the list, only villains from that list I consider really great are Kreia and SHODAN - they were unique, had interesting motives and the way they were presented was really awesome. For me personally the first villain that comes to mind is Sovereign from Mass Effect, the way he was revealed was really stunning. That and how totally alien he was compared to every other character made me really enjoy every confrontation with this villain.

Without getting into any spoilers I have to reluctantly agree. I wanted him to die SO MUCH.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Melissan.. another villain that deserved a better build-up and a less obvious revelation.

Not exactly J.E's finest hour, that was his writing yes ?

Mostly remembered as that annoying NPC with lengthy dialouge who would appear before several major battles. Much of the nuisance I think comes with having both a predictable 'surprise' and a linear game. Maybe Melissan could have worked if she wasn't so front and center, always providing an explanation.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Melissan.. another villain that deserved a better build-up and a less obvious revelation.

Not exactly J.E's finest hour, that was his writing yes ?

Mostly remembered as that annoying NPC with lengthy dialouge who would appear before several major battles. Much of the nuisance I think comes with having both a predictable 'surprise' and a linear game. Maybe Melissan could have worked if she wasn't so front and center, always providing an explanation.

I don't think J.E. has ever been involved with the Baldur's Gate saga, unless we want to count the canceled The Black Hound.

"Irenicus is driven purely by petty vengeance for something that is his own stupid fault. He's... pathetic."

He's anything but pathetic. Yeah, his current state is his fault; but he's still awesome.

"Sarevok & Melissan were both crafty, and their plans failed only by a hair. I like 'em much better."

Sarevok wasn't crafty at all. He was cool, and strong though.. I have little doubt any 'craftiness' found in his plans were due to the brain surrounding him like step father.

Melissan, on the other hand, is BIo's 2nd worst villain of all time. She is the veryd efintion of pathetic, boring, and just plain crap.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sarevok wasn't crafty at all. He was cool, and strong though.. I have little doubt any 'craftiness' found in his plans were due to the brain surrounding him like step father.

You may be right on this Volourn.. still doesn't change that Sarevok works better as a threat for me than Irenicus.

Irenicus I don't know.. he seemed schizophrenic as far as his portrayal goes.

He should be emotionless and yet he's driven by revenge and jealousy, and basically goes on to try to complete his plan again.. after failing the first time you'd think he learned the lesson, but no!

I liked him the first time I played Baldur's Gate 2 but trust me Volo.. I played the game a lot of times, and the more I played it the less I liked him as a character.

Part of it stems also from the fact that the italian dub is pretty ****ty when it came to his character, because at least, the english version has Irenicus giving really awesome delivery to his lines.

Granted, I still feel he is ridiculous (dangerously ridiculous but still...), but at least he works a bit better.