Simulated Mars Mission

mr insomniac

Some time ago, a couple years at least, I came across an article about a group of astronauts spending over 500 days in a locked module to simulate the effects of a journey to Mars. IIRC, at the time anyone could submit an application to undergo the simulation, and that's what made the article really interesting...well, to me anyway. I didn't apply, but still it meant that, besides space stations, we're one step closer to living beyond the Earth. Cool stuff.

Anyway, it appears they are now going forward with the simulation. Six men get ready for 520-day simulated Mars trip.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

A manned mission to mars is a huge waste of money. Robots do pretty much everything we can, and are quite a bit cheaper.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

What is the point of an unmanned mission? The purpose of a manned one is to prove we can colonise other planets. Which is teh ONLY way to ensure the long term survival of our entire species.

I considered volunteering for the simulated mission, but got accepted for the Army while I was pondering it. I think it would be an enormous honour to participate, even if the bragging rights are nothing compared to the real thing.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A manned mission to mars is a huge waste of money. Robots do pretty much everything we can, and are quite a bit cheaper.

This is the same reason that China, who had the best ships and navigation in the world at the time, never took part in the Age of Exploration.

Well, not the robot thing, but the money issue.

What is the point of an unmanned mission? The purpose of a manned one is to prove we can colonise other planets. Which is teh ONLY way to ensure the long term survival of our entire species.

Even in the most catastrophic nuclear war, excessive pollution, resource exhaustion, or zombie apocolypse scenarios, Earth is still going to be a thousand times more suitable for human life than is any other rock in this solar system. (At least up until the point when the sun starts dying in 5 or so billion years.)

Human space travel has a powerful emotional appeal, but, based on the data presently available, there isn't much to be said for it from a logical point of view.

Edited by Enoch

I just found out that my assistant was surprised at home when a gang of thieves attempted to smash and grab his possesions from his house. He roared, then chased them up the street barefoot, and over a fence, shouting "Running won't do you any good, punk!" On talking to the police they informed him that his plan to jump on the back of the getaway van, ascend to the roof, and kick the driver through the window was "a good idea".

I'm not taking chances with that sort of awesome. We need to get out there and bring the galaxy our awesomeness.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

By long term I assume you don't mean in galactic terms, as inevitabley we're going to die out as a species. There's too much going against us - sun going to die, nearest galaxy on collision course etc.

In the short term population control would be a lot more effective than colonising Mars. I for one don't want to be eatting Soylent Green.

When are we going to realise as a species that having more than 2 children isn't sustainable - will there be a tipping point? Perhaps in the harsher parts of the world, for example Sudan is claiming 90% of Egypt's water supply (i.e the Nile), and now say that's not enough, they want 95%. First signs of a tipping point? Perhaps the foot shortage scare that got briefly put into the news last year.

All signs, but I think more likely we'll simply put up with it due to human nature.

And for what, because people have the right to have a third child? Silly. Very silly.

Edit: That said I'd really like the species to go to Mars. If you know you're going to die out one day, it should be on the todo list.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Nature has a way of correcting problems like overpopulation. We are one great plague away from it.

That said, we will probably transcend our physical shells eventually and then it will be less important to have a home planet. Didn't you all pay attention to Jodie Foster in Contact?

Nature has a way of correcting problems like overpopulation. We are one great plague away from it.
Antibiotics misuse may very well prompt that, sooner than we'd like to believe.

However, we don't really know of any prior industrial societies that succumbed to their own weight, resource depletion or nature's control mechanisms for overpopulation. Once the acquisition and implementation of knowledge is systematised, all bets are off.

Colonisation of other worlds may be one way to minimise the risk of one black swan wiping out the human race. Chances are it could be made to be profitable too, eventually.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

First signs of a tipping point? Perhaps the foot shortage scare that got briefly put into the news last year.

I hope to christ you meant to say 'food' shortage.

I think the single biggest problem with space exploration is that we are phrasing it as a collective effort. We should make it competitive. Go voortrekker. So nations can claim land on Moon or Mars by having inhabited bases. Total area of land expands from the base for continuous habitation, and drops off if it becomes uninhabited; multiply by population of base. Something like that. Once inhabited for twenty years it becomes fixed and part of China/the US/Russia/Botswana. You'd soon see people get a wriggle on.

-Elwood Blues

Why does everyone think that a galactic collision is like two solid objects hitting each other? That's not what happens....

As to mars, to hear one of my teachers tell it, taking a break from space exploration actually drops the cost by a bundle. They've actually figured out a new way to land on the moon by sending the people in one capsule and cargo in the other.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Why does everyone think that a galactic collision is like two solid objects hitting each other? That's not what happens....

Yarp. The galaxies interact gravitationally, but stars/planets are unlikely to collide due to the vast distance between them.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I just found out that my assistant was surprised at home when a gang of thieves attempted to smash and grab his possesions from his house. He roared, then chased them up the street barefoot, and over a fence, shouting "Running won't do you any good, punk!" On talking to the police they informed him that his plan to jump on the back of the getaway van, ascend to the roof, and kick the driver through the window was "a good idea".

I'm not taking chances with that sort of awesome. We need to get out there and bring the galaxy our awesomeness.

E28QG.jpg

How could we live with ourselves if we selfishly kept that here on Earth?

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Exactly. I want to bring 'Two Girls One Cup' to Alpha Centauri.

Wait. Oh knackers.

-Elwood Blues