Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

Just to be fair, there were traps that needed Explosives skill. Many traps. Actually FO3 traps followed a simple pattern: If it's a mechanical trap, you need Repair; if it's explosive based, you need Explosives. Not only it made perfect sense in the game (even in reality) it also gave you alternative solutions to problems (got repair? lose the trapwire. got explosives? snatch the grenade bouquet instead. etc.).

That's true. I was thinking about the non-explosive traps when I wrote that.

But doesn't it make matters worse then? Having 2 skills that perform the same function?

I thought having different solutions to some (if not all) puzzles / challanges in a game (possibly with a solution that your character build allows) was a core principle in RPGs. I could be wrong though. :lol:

For example, in the tripwire scenario, you can just run through the trap quickly and take a bit of blast damage (Endurance), jump over it (Agility; well, it did affect your speed), throw an object to it from afar to trigger it (Intelligence; YOUR intelligence, not the PC's :ermm: ) etc. They're all viable solutions for that given trap that perform the same function (getting through the trap) through different means (taking advantage of different skills/stats).

There's no right answers here, of course, just possiblities, but I think working through a game's skill lists and tightening things up makes for ultimately a stronger game

And again, I'm not trying to say that crpgs should be forced to have extremely limited skill lists neccessarily, but rather that the skills just be very definitely DIFFERENT skills rather than several variations on a particular "flavor" of skill.

Again, agreed on that.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

But Nemo, to do creative problem solving based on a small set of skills you'd need some kind of insanely clever general theory of systems capable of that degree of logical abstraction. :ermm:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

But Nemo, to do creative problem solving based on a small set of skills you'd need some kind of insanely clever general theory of systems capable of that degree of logical abstraction. :ermm:

Which I believe that you believe is not present / possible in computer games, at least in F:NV.

No comment, then. :lol:

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

But Nemo, to do creative problem solving based on a small set of skills you'd need some kind of insanely clever general theory of systems capable of that degree of logical abstraction. :(

Which I believe that you believe is not present / possible in computer games, at least in F:NV.

No comment, then. :shifty:

:shifty:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't particularly care since I don't even know who he is, what I hope is that the other voice actor will be on par... I really REALLY hope Bethesda learns from Obsidian from this POV, if there's anything in which Obsidian has consistently been better than Bethesda is good voice-acting.

He was Odo, the changeling dude on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Uhm... still don't care about him, sorry. :lol:

DS9 had many faults, but the talent of the actors was not one of them.

Is there a chance for Andrew J Robinson too? :3

Uhm... still don't care about him, sorry. :lol:

DS9 had many faults, but the talent of the actors was not one of them.

Is there a chance for Andrew J Robinson too? :3

It's just that from the sound of it, Bethesda spent all their voice acting budget on him and we'll probably have to put up with the same voice actors as Fallout 3.

Subject change: faces.

Everyone in the wasteland looks far too attractive, especially given the high stress, poor nutrition, and radiation. I think that introducing irregularity, blemishes, cancers and so on would be beneficial to immersion and a useful aid to storymakers in terms of shaping player reactions to individual and group NPCs.

-Elwood Blues

Subject change: faces.

Everyone in the wasteland looks far too attractive, especially given the high stress, poor nutrition, and radiation. I think that introducing irregularity, blemishes, cancers and so on would be beneficial to immersion and a useful aid to storymakers in terms of shaping player reactions to individual and group NPCs.

Really? I thought everyone in the wasteland looked deformed enough in Fallout 3, though that's probably because Bethesda puts quantity over quality and didn't care much if some NPCs (many actually) had proportions all over the place.

Some people might have overlarge cheekbones, but by and large they are symmetrical, fresh faced, and often wearing makeup! This is particularly galling to a sniper like myself as about 1 in 10 female raiders looks really rather good.

Have you seen the film The Road?

-Elwood Blues

Some people might have overlarge cheekbones, but by and large they are symmetrical, fresh faced, and often wearing makeup! This is particularly galling to a sniper like myself as about 1 in 10 female raiders looks really rather good.

Have you seen the film The Road?

Nope, I haven't.

I've seen Moira's faces though. Gave me nightmares. Wasn't pretty.

DS9 had many faults

Wut.

Okay I exaggerated but still, ST is often more Fi than Sci, and some of the stories.. Oh hey, O'brien died but no worries, his slightly younger self from the past takes over for him! And some were worse.

I thought the parallel universe stories were pretty ridiculous. And the entire final season was pretty messed up, with all the metaphysical hoopnanny. But for the rest, it's way better than VOyager or Enterprise.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's just that from the sound of it, Bethesda spent all their voice acting budget on him and we'll probably have to put up with the same voice actors as Fallout 3.

Not really, he's not an A-list movie actor like Liam Neeson. And unlike Neeson (and like McDowell), he actually does have extensive voice acting experience.

But yeah, I expect many regular Bethesda actors to be there as well.

Edited by Ausir