Friggin family.

Calax

As I mentioned, I'm probably going to head to Iowa in the fall... and from that point on I'm gonna stay at least 1k miles from where they live...

If you ever head into Ames, drop me a line. :(

The only family I got along with on any real level is my mom. That is it. Also, forget about birthdays. I stop celebrating them or even acknowledging them since I was 14. In the end the only person you have to live with is yourself. DO what makes you happy, do what will allow you to survive.

... Uh, Iowa state IS ames...

For those who don't know Iowa State is about 20k of Ames 45-50k population.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I stop celebrating them or even acknowledging them since I was 14.

This is mostly true here as well. Birthdays just get used as excuses to go out and party/get drunk. Sounds lame, but it sure beats a birthday cake and people singing "Happy Birthday". :wacko:

As for Calax... how old are you anyway? By the way you're describing it, it sounds like I'd have already fled to some other state if I was in your situation. :(

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I stop celebrating them or even acknowledging them since I was 14.

This is mostly true here as well. Birthdays just get used as excuses to go out and party/get drunk. Sounds lame, but it sure beats a birthday cake and people singing "Happy Birthday". :wacko:

As for Calax... how old are you anyway? By the way you're describing it, it sounds like I'd have already fled to some other state if I was in your situation. :(

turning 24 on the 20th. I've tried fleeing (joined the navy and went to another school) but just kept having to come back for various reasons.

Oh, and dev boys, can I get an update on where I might be in New Vegas?

Edited by Calax

You'll be in New Vegas by 2012. *drumroll*

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I forgot you got booted from the Navy. Speaking as a man shortly to be booted from the Army for matters beyond his control (my body just keeps snapping) I utterly and completely sympathise. You really should come over to Blighty. We can throw peanuts at the RAF.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You'll be in New Vegas by 2012. *drumroll*

I was more referring to the version of me that people can kill by tossing grenades into my purse ;)

As I mentioned, I'm probably going to head to Iowa in the fall... and from that point on I'm gonna stay at least 1k miles from where they live...

If you ever head into Ames, drop me a line. ;)

The only family I got along with on any real level is my mom. That is it. Also, forget about birthdays. I stop celebrating them or even acknowledging them since I was 14. In the end the only person you have to live with is yourself. DO what makes you happy, do what will allow you to survive.

... Uh, Iowa state IS ames...

For those who don't know Iowa State is about 20k of Ames 45-50k population.

Great. We can get signs and throw pebbles at Phelps' crew when they shows up.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

"I'm here for you if you need to talk buddy. I know you don't like using PM's, but if you need a friend, just let me know. Life doesn't have to be this hard.

"

Why troll in a serious thread? Calax has a fmaily issue, he posted here as he wants to see what others think. You alsom cna't read because if you had, you'd notice I'm having no fmaily issues. L0L But, this thread isn't about me it's about Calax.

He'll do what he thinks is best. At the very minimum he should demand his brother apologize to him and mean it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I'm here for you if you need to talk buddy. I know you don't like using PM's, but if you need a friend, just let me know. Life doesn't have to be this hard.

"

Why troll in a serious thread? Calax has a fmaily issue, he posted here as he wants to see what others think. You alsom cna't read because if you had, you'd notice I'm having no fmaily issues. L0L But, this thread isn't about me it's about Calax.

He'll do what he thinks is best. At the very minimum he should demand his brother apologize to him and mean it.

I just get concerned about your anger management. I am dead serious.

I'm not angry. You are the one who sounds angry simply because I don't want to be your friend. Poor Hurlshot. Volourn oesn't want to be his e buddy. Boo hoo.

Believe me, if anything I'm too anti angry. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

... I hate my dad... I got asked for a basic "what sort of financial assistance could you get when you went" and I gave them the numbers, only to have my dad turn around and say "Ok, give me a 2 year projected budget for your stay there, figure out what you're going to do for summer and how housing works there." Even though we'd effectively made these numbers (just didn't have hard numbers, only student estimates) 4 weeks ago. And we discuss it and he starts yelling until finally my mom of all people told him to make an itemized list of what he wants for the numbers as the last 80 billion times that he's told me "I want X" I've been yelled at about how X wasn't the X he meant because he needed it to prove Y or Z or just because X was something else in his mind.

YEEHA! I got accepted to Iowa state AND my tax refund check came TODAY!

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

As to your next post, I'm sorry. :( Sounds like your dad has serious control issues, and is desperately trying to find a reason to keep you at home, under his thumb. Just grit your teeth, do what you need to do to make it until September. New horizons, options, and experiences will then open up to you as you'll have university counselors to assist you with jobs, potential grants/loans/scholarships, etc. Once you're out of the house, your parents will not have the control they once did. That's a big step toward independence.

I think it sounds like his Dad wants Cal to budget everything. Because as we know from Wall Street, so long as it's got numbers in it it must be true. :thumbsup:

Frankly, my advice would be to do his bloody budget and stuff it with as much meaningless numeric gibberish as possible. Include at least some partial differential equations charting - I don't know - rates of rent increase.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think it sounds like his Dad wants Cal to budget everything. Because as we know from Wall Street, so long as it's got numbers in it it must be true. :lol:

Frankly, my advice would be to do his bloody budget and stuff it with as much meaningless numeric gibberish as possible. Include at least some partial differential equations charting - I don't know - rates of rent increase.

Well, I basically went through the website, and the college catalog and highlighted all the prices I could find for mandatory things (and the price of the "no freshmen" dorm/suite housing) and left him a note saying that "I don't want to do this garbage because you'll just keep coming up with things that make me do 6 hrs more work that was unneeded because you weren't communicative enough" (In about the same language, but was more verbose). So almost all the info is there (just missing the meal plan info) for him to look at but my deadline to accept their acception is May 1... and knowing this family it'll take till apr 30 at 1159 pm for them to allow me to go.

And yes, the "Not that thing I told you, the OTHER Thing I told you to get" "You only told me one thing" "WELL YOU DID IT WRONG" argument has happened before in regards to getting info that showed I was a student full time for insurance. He told me to get a billing statement... and I did, then yelled at me for getting the wrong thing and wouldn't listen when I explained that I got him what he asked, it just didn't have the info he thought it did...

Now that I think about it, It's feeling like he's starting to loose a bit of cognition. That odd skin cancer thing from a month ago (that I didn't know about until after he'd had it excised and skin grafted from his ear to his cheek) might have something to do with it but meh (it's his second tumor removal for anyone interested, first was in his lung).

... I hate my dad... I got asked for a basic "what sort of financial assistance could you get when you went" and I gave them the numbers, only to have my dad turn around and say "Ok, give me a 2 year projected budget for your stay there, figure out what you're going to do for summer and how housing works there." Even though we'd effectively made these numbers (just didn't have hard numbers, only student estimates) 4 weeks ago. And we discuss it and he starts yelling until finally my mom of all people told him to make an itemized list of what he wants for the numbers as the last 80 billion times that he's told me "I want X" I've been yelled at about how X wasn't the X he meant because he needed it to prove Y or Z or just because X was something else in his mind.

Just to warn you, Iowa State can be expensive for non-Iowa residents. The best way to do it, to save money in the long run, is to find an apartment off campus, get a job doing something, and stay there for 6 months to a year, then start at ISU. It would bring down your costs by a third or even in half. If you don't have a car for transportation, Ames has a great Bus system.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Just to warn you, Iowa State can be expensive for non-Iowa residents. The best way to do it, to save money in the long run, is to find an apartment off campus, get a job doing something, and stay there for 6 months to a year, then start at ISU. It would bring down your costs by a third or even in half. If you don't have a car for transportation, Ames has a great Bus system.

Well currently the plan was (and this does work according to councelors) that I'd get a room and take my calc classes (4 credits) over the next year which would work towards residency (as long as I don't have over 6 credits I'm still earning residency) , then once I'd attained residency I'd work in earnest.

Wow... jsut... wow...

the catagories I got for my budget are

Rent

Food

Phone

Utilities (WTF!? IT"S A FRIGGIN DORM!)

Gas (car or utilities gas?)

INSURANCE (and I'm supposed to know the first thing about getting a quote for a car that I don't have... HOW!?)

tuition

books

Other

Airfare (looking like 0 right now >.<)

Nonsense, student budgeting 101:

Price of beer (figure it out by the gallon, it's easier)

Price of Convenience Food of Choice (let's face it, this means pizza, right?)

Price of satellite TV subscription

Price of very cheap car (you are in America after all)

Honestly, manage everything else with a massive overdraft facility at your bank. It really concentrates your mind on getting a good job when you graduate, it worked for me :sorcerer:

Oh, and I spent five years in the army reserves on tax-free pay as an undergraduate student, of course this was in the late 80's and there were no wars.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Nonsense, student budgeting 101:

Price of beer (figure it out by the gallon, it's easier)

Price of Convenience Food of Choice (let's face it, this means pizza, right?)

Price of satellite TV subscription

Price of very cheap car (you are in America after all)

Honestly, manage everything else with a massive overdraft facility at your bank. It really concentrates your mind on getting a good job when you graduate, it worked for me :)

Oh, and I spent five years in the army reserves on tax-free pay as an undergraduate student, of course this was in the late 80's and there were no wars.

Hang on. What about girlfriends? I remember they accounted for something like 60% of my budget until I turned 25. Surely Calax can be expected to bag someone.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Calax, you are a modern, 21st Century guy. You wouldn't be expected to pay for the chick's dinner and drinks, right?

(Now i'm going to roll around on the floor shooting coffee through my nose with bitterly ironic laughter).

sonsofgygax.JPG

Calax, you are a modern, 21st Century guy. You wouldn't be expected to pay for the chick's dinner and drinks, right?

(Now i'm going to roll around on the floor shooting coffee through my nose with bitterly ironic laughter).

Amazing the double standard no? It's funny that in highschool people were appauled that I hit a girl who was verbally harassing me and doing her best to keep me cornered and beat me over the head with her political views (along with her 7 friends).