I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on Obsidian

Pidesco

:lol: My Shepard never saw behind the mask...
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

A really dumb question, one of what will probably be many. I clicked on incendiary ammo. Fine. Then I tried to change to another kind of ammo, and now it's telling me that my weapon is equipted with both types of ammo. How does that happen? I haven't been able to figure out how to remove one kind of ammo in favor of another.

So what silly thing have I not figured out this time!

A really dumb question, one of what will probably be many. I clicked on incendiary ammo. Fine. Then I tried to change to another kind of ammo, and now it's telling me that my weapon is equipted with both types of ammo. How does that happen? I haven't been able to figure out how to remove one kind of ammo in favor of another.

Case in point.

Having ammo as a powah is just ridiculous. Even more so when all powah cooldown times are shared. As for why Bio decided to dumb this down from the modular intra-weapon customization system that worked so well in ME1, is beyond me.

manthing2.jpg

Case in point.

Having ammo as a powah is just ridiculous. Even more so when all powah cooldown times are shared. As for why Bio decided to dumb this down from the modular intra-weapon customization system that worked so well in ME1, is beyond me.

@ ~Di: One ammo type is supposed to automatically replace another when you choose it, or at least that's how it has worked so far in my games. I wouldn't say it's something you haven't figured out yet, it's just not supposed to happen. Dang, I've got the 1.01 patch installed too, why can't I get a bug like that?

@jaguars: IIRC you couldn't change ammo types in ME during combat. That could be one reason why they changed it for ME2. I could be wrong though, once I acquired the polonium ammo I stayed with that through the whole game.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Thanks. I'm still confused over ammo, but I've discovered another peculiarity. After dying numerous times, I went through the manual and discovered that the HUD does not show any of the health bars or shield bars. I have the quick slot bar and the targeting reticle, along with the squad members' portraits at the bottom... but absolutely no health bars for Shephard or the crew. No "heat management" bar either. I can't see any key binding that would affect the HUD. No wonder I'm dying all the time. I can't see when my health is declining.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solution for it?

Thanks. I'm still confused over ammo, but I've discovered another peculiarity. After dying numerous times, I went through the manual and discovered that the HUD does not show any of the health bars or shield bars. I have the quick slot bar and the targeting reticle, along with the squad members' portraits at the bottom... but absolutely no health bars for Shephard or the crew. No "heat management" bar either. I can't see any key binding that would affect the HUD. No wonder I'm dying all the time. I can't see when my health is declining.

I can't remember whether it disappears outside of combat, or just after a few seconds at full health. The squad doesn't get full health bars. They get little shapes next to their portrait that aren't as clear as they could be due to the colouring. Squad health starts grey, and becomes red. When they are taking damage, their portrait flashes red.

There is no heat management to worry about, so no bar needed.

Health goes down really fast because none of the enemies ever miss you and they focus fire whenever you are out of cover. The red lines that appear on screen should be more noticeable than the little red bar at the bottom of the screen when you are about to die.

Edited by Deraldin

Shepard's Shield/Barrier/health bars should appear in an arc over the crew portraits when you begin taking damage (i believe). Shield bar is blue. Barrier bar, if you have biotics, is purple. Health bar is red. Health bar is also hidden underneath the other two bars until those two are completely gone. Then you begin losing health. One thing about ME2, it doesn't take long for that to happen. Also when your health is declining you'll beging to hear a heartbeat sound, and red veins/arteries will begin to close over your field-of-view, from the edges to the center as you lose health.

Best way to keep from dying is to get back behind cover. Your shields and health will regenerate after a few seconds.

By 'heat management' are you referring to weapon cooldowns, like in ME? If so, that doesn't exist anymore.

EDIT: Deraldin is a faster typer than I am, heh.

Edited by mr insomniac

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Apart from mr insomniacs explanation you should know that the game is skewered in such a way that you simply must never be out of cover. ME rambo tactics don't work, since enemies never miss and Shepard has very little health. So you have to play it sitting in cover and shooting at anything that pops up, in short bursts because as soon as you start shooting everyone will target you since you've partially come out of cover. Only go for head-shots, everything else is a waste of ammo. Flanking enemies have priority as targets since it can be a real problem hitting them efficiently when they're close, a problem they don't have and will happily empty their clips on you. Changing cover in the middle of combat is often suicide, because you can't really move around without being shredded.

When the veins pop up on screen, hide behind cover immediately.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Case in point.

They did it so they could fill the soldiers ability sheet, why else.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Apart from mr insomniacs explanation you should know that the game is skewered in such a way that you simply must never be out of cover. ME rambo tactics don't work, since enemies never miss and Shepard has very little health. So you have to play it sitting in cover and shooting at anything that pops up, in short bursts because as soon as you start shooting everyone will target you since you've partially come out of cover. Only go for head-shots, everything else is a waste of ammo. Flanking enemies have priority as targets since it can be a real problem hitting them efficiently when they're close, a problem they don't have and will happily empty their clips on you. Changing cover in the middle of combat is often suicide, because you can't really move around without being shredded.

When the veins pop up on screen, hide behind cover immediately.

*points at NumberMan's Vanguard youtube link*

Case in point.

They did it so they could fill the soldiers ability sheet, why else.

Naturally.

But you know, pre-release I had the soldier class pegged as the worst class on paper. But given the crappiness of biotics in ME2, soldiers wind up being the best class in practice.

Why?

Because:

1. No bogie uses biotics on you

2. All bogies have mad gun skillz

3. Bogies discriminate against you, making you the defacto aggro

4. Powahs share cooldown times, making biotics pretty much useless for you

5. When you can launch a jedi powah it's usually absorbed as the bogies have barriers

6. But your guns never miss if you don't miss (since they're no longer character skill dependent, but twitch based)

7. Thus, battles turn into a hide-and-seek game where you pop-and-shoot out of cover REGARDLESS of your class

8. So since you have to do that you're pretty much choosing from player as a solider vs a crappy soldier (less gunz, less bling, more wuss)

manthing2.jpg

Infiltrators are fun too. Tactical shield + Storm Speed helps quite a bit when you want to change cover, and sniping is very fun. I tried to play an adept, but yeah at early levels the power cooldown times make it no fun at all.

Scions will hit you with a shockwave, and I dunno what the hell the harbinger-controlled collectors hit you with but it'll knock you back a step or two even if you are undercover... or maybe i'm just not lucky.

Oh and i'd like to take this opportunity to say i really &%^ing hate husks in ME2. grumble grumble stupid flanking grumble dammit

Infiltrators are fun too. Tactical shield + Storm Speed helps quite a bit when you want to change cover, and sniping is very fun. I tried to play an adept, but yeah at early levels the power cooldown times make it no fun at all.

Scions will hit you with a shockwave, and I dunno what the hell the harbinger-controlled collectors hit you with but it'll knock you back a step or two even if you are undercover... or maybe i'm just not lucky.

Oh and i'd like to take this opportunity to say i really &%^ing hate husks in ME2. grumble grumble stupid flanking grumble dammit

Infiltators are a lot of fun to play on the lower difficultly levels, but you wind-up getting Zergling Rushed on Hardcore/Insanity once that tactical shields drops.

As for biotics, you're absolutely right about the shared cooldown killing the fun. Now to rub salt into the wounds, on Veteran or higher, all bogies are packing some serious biotic resistant barriers. So even if you get off a powah, it's pretty much useless.

manthing2.jpg

Hmm, perhaps I should take back what I said about the combat being better in ME 2. It was simply because it really fit my playstyle: Sitting behind chest high wall waiting for biotics cooldowns. :) Still, shockwave and slam were kinda awesome and the rest biotics you could shoot behind chest high walls with some training.

I played it through in normal.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Closed for lenght.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: