What you did today

Gorth

I don't care about the money so much as about getting the best education possible.

The difference between the level of education at, for example, Princeton and a smaller school like Rowan isn't much. The education is what you make of it, if you put in the effort to excel in your field, then you will. Plenty of graduates from community colleges are making more than the Big Name School graduate. But if paying 200k for 4 years for the name of a school is up your alley, I'd say go for it. But at least do yourself a favor and pick a nicer school than Princeton. Great education or not, you won't be having much fun there.

While the level of education is obviously related to what you put in, a great university helps too. Besides, a diploma that says "Princeton" opens doors... And I think I'll have plenty of fun at Princeton, seeing as though it has one of the best physics programs in the country, and a pretty damn good mathletics team.

Like I said, to each his own. Personally, I would want to kill myself if I knew right out of college I'd have 200k in debt on my back.

Well, the Ivies are an exception in that they are very good with the need-based aid if can you actually get in. And, depending on the field you go into, a big name school on your resume can certainly help. (Although, in my experience, this is more the case with graduate and professional schools-- big I-banks only really recruit from a short list of B-schools; the same with the big white-shoe law firms and the top law schools; if you're going academia, the prestige of the institution granting your PhD matters quite a bit. Good performance at a decent public undergrad, followed by a top-flight grad program is probably the most cost effective strategy in fields like that, if you can swing it.) I think Krook is stretching a bit by mentioning Rowan (which I remember mostly as the host location for HS band competitions), but a high-profile public university (i.e., one that is known of outside the state for something other than football or basketball) like Rutgers or Maryland or any of the big VA publics can get you 90% of what you get out of an Ivy undergrad at a fraction of the cost.

I imagine that Rutgers is great for pharma stuff largely because so many big pharmaceutical companies are based nearby in north Jersey. I'm sure that there is a lot of cooperation with the local industry on research grants and such, and the profs will have a lot of connections to get their favorite students the right internships, interviews, etc. (Advice: whatever area you end up concentrating in, get tight with the faculty and staff who run that department. That's where you'll get the good advice and connections, rather than from the deans or careers services or alumni networks.)

We had a discussion about this a little while back, I remember. I believe the name on the degree matters only when you first graduate and are bucking for that first job. I graduated from a small state U with no real reputation but landed a job I wanted not because of where my degree was from but because I interviewed well (plus I had some work history in the field). While there I was promoted over a Georgia Tech grad (it's like Princeton for Engineers with MIT & Cal Tech being Harvard & Yale) because I was just better than he was. Once you have your first few years of experience behind you your degree only matters in as much as you have one. Your work history and referneces are everything. In that vein it is smart to take Enochs advice and get to know the faculty, not only do they open doors but they make invaluable references.

A man once told me, "That piece of paper (your degree) only means you were taught something. It does not mean you actually know anything."

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

While the level of education is obviously related to what you put in, a great university helps too.

Personally, if you are going to be going for a masters or above, I would get a bachelors degree at a smaller institution and then move to your "name-brand" school for grad work.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

While the level of education is obviously related to what you put in, a great university helps too.

Personally, if you are going to be going for a masters or above, I would get a bachelors degree at a smaller institution and then move to your "name-brand" school for grad work.

Excellent point

Excellent point

I can vouch for this in a sideways fashion, having got a low mark for my undergrad work and now eat off the fact my postgrad work was first rate.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I imagine that Rutgers is great for pharma stuff largely because so many big pharmaceutical companies are based nearby in north Jersey. I'm sure that there is a lot of cooperation with the local industry on research grants and such, and the profs will have a lot of connections to get their favorite students the right internships, interviews, etc.

My computer science professor recently told me that a lot of local and nearby pharmaceutical, defense contractor, and what not companies (nearby being in NY) often show up on various NJ state campuses for interns, soon to be graduates, etc from their respective fields of study.

Today I competed for my spot on the school's golf team. I did somewhat better than I did yesterday but it was still only enough to tie the other player. Tomorrow I have to go back and play another 9 holes to try to get on the team.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Yeah, I don't think it matters so much you get yourself in Princeton to start off with, if you can get yourself in it at the end. Which is why I stayed in NZ, then tried to go to a big 'un for Masters, but couldn't afford it (need-based aid? not for foreigners), and am trying to go for PhD.

Guard Dog and Enoch, by the way, are responsible for me going for the long-shot, so they better put me up if I fail. o:)

Guard Dog and Enoch, by the way, are responsible for me going for the long-shot, so they better put me up if I fail. :(

o:):o

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I'm off to discuss a PhD today. Wish me luck.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guard Dog and Enoch, by the way, are responsible for me going for the long-shot, so they better put me up if I fail. :lol:

If you can get to TN I have a spare bedroom, so long as you are ok with dogs, guns, coyotes, and women of less than stellar virtue. Just bring beer.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

:luck:>_< what's your field of study?

Ownage.

-Elwood Blues

:luck:>_< what's your field of study?

Ownage.

:lol: :lol: Did you get it?

BTW, speaking of ownage, today is Chuck Norris' birthday.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Yes, I'm sure Chuck Norris is getting owned as we speak. >_<

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Guest The Architect

Went to bed late, couldn't really get to sleep last night, I went from the plan of having one wine to several, then I got up early to watch the soccer, to watch Real Madrid fail epically, and our pool will be ready for swimming this afternoon, it's getting close to lunch time so I'm just having an easy, slack day today. Have found it quite stressful trying to get all the aspects of the statistical research methods in psychology wrapped around my head, but then I realised I don't have to just rely on the modules, tutorials and textbooks to learn this stuff, I can use anything available and basically learn it my way, because I hate trying to manage all that on top of the assignment work, too, and would rather do things at my own pace, my own convenience.

Oh and I didn't mean what I said about kids being a life destroyer back in the day. I've just had a lot on my mind lately. I mean they can be disastrous of course, but with the right woman, a blessing, I would imagine. Oh and also, it's not my place to tell I know, but Shryke is thinking of possibly moving overseas (over a girl, of course) and I just wanted you all to know if he does, I totally call dibs on moving to Wellington and taking his place as the pimp lord of New Zealand.

Edited by The Architect

oh i am amused

my douchebag of a flatmate just sent me a txt saying he's got a new girlfriend and said i may know her.

turns out, yeah i know her.

within 10mins of meeting her she was on my lap with her tongue in my ear. really wasn't interested, and ever since then everytime i've seen her at parties she's followed me round all damn night.

what's even funnier is the fact that she's only 17, and my flatmate is 33. oh and the fact that she already has a boyfriend

i should start taking bets to see how quickly this is all gonna go horribly wrong :sweat:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Oh and I didn't mean what I said about kids being a life destroyer back in the day. I've just had a lot on my mind lately. I mean they can be disastrous of course, but with the right woman, a blessing, I would imagine. Oh and also, it's not my place to tell I know, but Shryke is thinking of possibly moving overseas (over a girl, of course) and I just wanted you all to know if he does, I totally call dibs on moving to Wellington and taking his place as the pimp lord of New Zealand.

You'll have to deal with me and my fiersome haka in the airport first.

haka4.jpg