Metro 2033

Starwars

I would also like if it had some free roam aspects but judging by the story and geography (of the actual tunnels) so far, I think its going to be mostly linear like HL

Purkake: What can I say? I am a sucker for the genre. Compared to the mess 7.62 and Jazz:Hired guns (and other newer releases in the genre) Altar is(was) actually moving in the right direction to create a good game before the crisis hit them. I think they are partnering with another (or 2) dev. studio as coders on their (other studios') games to stay solvent.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

I wasn't first very interested in this, but then I found this month old IGN preview. Stalker was like the best game ever at times but it had too many flaws. If Metro 2033 does better without turning into another shooter while avoiding stupid design flaws, I'm sold.

I wasn't first very interested in this, but then I found this month old IGN preview. Stalker was like the best game ever at times but it had too many flaws. If Metro 2033 does better without turning into another shooter while avoiding stupid design flaws, I'm sold.

At this point, without knowing anymore about the game, it looks more like a straight shooter than STALKER by a lot.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

At this point, without knowing anymore about the game, it looks more like a straight shooter than STALKER by a lot.

I didn't get that impression from the preview, but who knows.

I didn't get that impression from the preview, but who knows.

If you are right that would be great.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice, though I'm not sure if I like their monster design concepts, at least the gameplay looks far more varied than Stalker. And stealthiness is always a big plus!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I dunno. At this point it's beginning to feel extremely generic. Hard to tell though. For whatever reason trailers tend to focus on the most generic and uninteresting aspects of games.

at least the gameplay looks far more varied than Stalker.

Where did you see variation in that trailer?

I'm not sure if I like their monster design concepts, \

I agree. On the surface Winged Demons seem a odd choice.

Edited by Slowtrain

at least the gameplay looks far more varied than Stalker.

Where did you see variation in that trailer?

Where to begin...? Well, there were environmenst ranging from ruined urban to claustrophobic corriders - nothing new there - but also sneaking, general fps action, mine cart chases, fixed point defense scenarios, combat against flying enemies. Of course, they might have just cut artifact hunts and trading in favor of the new, but we'll see soon I guess.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Well, there were environmenst ranging from ruined urban to claustrophobic corriders - nothing new there - but also sneaking, general fps action, mine cart chases, fixed point defense scenarios, combat against flying enemies.

I dunno. I did all that in Half Life, many years ago. It was kinda new then, now it's pretty much standard generic FPS action. None of it is bad, you understand, its just not interesting enough to be noteworthy anymore. To me, anyway.

If there is well-implemented stealth that could be interesting; stealth was pretty poorly done in STALKER and somewhat weakened the game, or at least lessened what the game could have been.

What don't you know? The whole point of the post was that the new options made it more varied...compared to Stalker. And Quake 2 did most of that even earlier than HL.

And as for standard, well I don't buy it. For every "standard" fps game, there's a Haze or a Firestarter just around the corner.

kirottu said:

I'm not gonna even start how insulting and prejudiced that reply is.

kirottu said:

What don't you know? The whole point of the post was that the new options made it more varied...compared to Stalker. And Quake 2 did most of that even earlier than HL.

OK. DIdn't realize you were comparing only to STALKER.

And as for standard, well I don't buy it. For every "standard" fps game, there's a Haze or a Firestarter just around the corner.

*shrug*

I didn't say the game will be standard, just that the trailer doesn't do anything to tell me that it won't be.

What I meant is that while minecart races and fixed point defense parts, for instance, may seems like "standard" fare for all fps, the reality is that for every one fps following in HL or NOLF's varied footsteps, there's a dozen that do not. Most of them pass under radar, though.

Sorry if I seem needlessly confrontational, I don't mean to imply that I think Metro will be anything special. On the contrary, I keep hoping it might be, but it's hard to say with so little exposition in the net so far.

kirottu said:

I saw a book with the same title and a gas mask design on it in a local bookshop. Is the game based on a book?

Yes.

Based on a novel by Russian author Dmitry Glukhovsky.

According to Wikipedia, anyway.