Metro 2033

Starwars

It looks interesting at this point, but I can't tell if its going to be on par with STALKER or with Far Cry 2. Which is a pretty big difference, though FC2 was a decent game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The voice acting, oh god, the voice acting.

I didn't notice any problems. Maybe I was just expecting less, but the VA didn't stick out as particularly poor like it did in the DA trailers.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I also seem to recall that the devs said in some interview that they only hired actual Russian voiceactors to ensure that the accents wouldn't be fake. I certainly heard no problem with the clips in the trailer. Not the best voiceacting ever but pretty good.

Can't help but comparing this to STALKER and thus being slightly disappointed given the nice outside levels in STALKER. But, this looks amazing for what it is. The atmosphere is absolutely awesome.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I really enjoyed what I played in terms of atmosphere and story. The gameplay was alright. But I had so many technical problems with it on my ATI card that I just gave up after a while. I checked for a while if they released a patch that would improve things but then I just stopped looking. Not sure if they ever got around to it.

I ended up watching this nicely done Let's Play instead: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Cryostasis/

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

THQ could pitch in with some actual voice actors.

Why is it always either some random people from the office phoning it in or some super expensive actors like Ewan Mcgregor? What happened to using professional voice actors?

Nolan North.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Can't help but comparing this to STALKER and thus being slightly disappointed given the nice outside levels in STALKER. But, this looks amazing for what it is. The atmosphere is absolutely awesome.

The atmosphere does seem very strong.

Is the game going to have no outside levels at all? Just tunnel fighting?

If so some should PM Monte. He'll be thrilled.

Speaking of weird Russian games did anyone see/play/like Cryostasis?

I played it and have a copy floating around here somewhere. It's a good game, very atmospheric and a good story, although as people mentioned it is a bit buggy on some systems. Still, it's worth looking at.

:p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The atmosphere does seem very strong.

Is the game going to have no outside levels at all? Just tunnel fighting?

If so some should PM Monte. He'll be thrilled.

It is a nuclear winter (or something), so I guess, but that never kept anyone from building huge fake open air areas underground.

The game will be much more linear than STALKER (as if STALKER were open sandbox, guess only I noticed the boring back-and-forth tracking), but will have more scripted fun (not just NPC interactions but enemy surprises).

I'm a grotesque STALKER fanboy so I only ever say good things about it.

Except for the bugs.

But it's the atmosphere mostly that I love about the game. So if this one can duplicate that, I'm sold.

Right now just waiting for Call of Pripyat

The Fall: Last Days of Gaia was a "playable" squad based rts(with pause). It was nice enough to spend some time if you liked the genre but the lack of English release killed it. I played the German release with English subtitles patch and the VO was really bad. Still it is a worth a 6 or so

Ufo: Afterlight (3rd of the serie after "UFO: Aftermath" and "UFO: Aftershock") was another squad based strategy game. Strategic combat was RTS (with pause). Your goal was to terraform mars for the sleeping 10.000 colonists after Earth's biosfhere was royally shot to hell in the previous 2 games. The game played similar to the basic X-Com with one catch, you only had a limited pool of 20 to 25 warm bodies and robots you can build. It has its own share of shortcomings (idiotic diplomacy, problematic research blocks) but still I would give it a 7.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Ufo: Afterlight (3rd of the serie after "UFO: Aftermath" and "UFO: Aftershock") was another squad based strategy game. Strategic combat was RTS (with pause). Your goal was to terraform mars for the sleeping 10.000 colonists after Earth's biosfhere was royally shot to hell in the previous 2 games. The game played similar to the basic X-Com with one catch, you only had a limited pool of 20 to 25 warm bodies and robots you can build. It has its own share of shortcomings (idiotic diplomacy, problematic research blocks) but still I would give it a 7.

I thought I was the only one who played it. The third one started to get a few things right with the cool base management, awesome research trees and a ton of other options to tweak. Too bad they never got over the lack of distinct maps with actual tactical opportunities, the combat system was actually pretty interesting.

And while Fallout and STALKER are both post-apocalyptic/nuclear disaster, I don't really care if someone else makes a post-apocalyptic game. You'd have to really make a lot of post-apocalyptic games to match the number of fantasy games.

I'd say post apocalyptic settings are rather limited. judging by the movies in the genre most of the stuff runs to the same conclusion.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

It's still looking good. But it makes me wonder what it's really about. Will it just be shooting your way through corridor after corridor, going from level to level until it ends (like Half-Life), then I'm not interested. If it lets me wander around semi-freely and listen to odd, Russian troubadours and get lost in the dark with some weird creature chasing me, I'm in.

Which will it be?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!