What you did today

Gorth

Saw my dean today about my teacher... Effectively got told "she's still teaching sociology so nothings gonna happen"

Learned your lesson hopefully. You gotta keep your head down son, otherwise you get nailed by the hammer of society. Not to mention the entire thing was relatively trivial and the outcome predictable.

I know. Still, people gotta stand up for what they think was right or the status quo will never change.

I understand your concerns here, but you might want to also look at it from the point of the view of the dean and the teacher. Did you expect him to just fire her because of a couple student complaints? She has probably worked hard and put in a lot of years to get into a college level position. It would be pretty messed up if she just lost it all because you didn't like her teaching style. This is one class for you, it will be forgotten by next semester, but this one class is her entire career.

I understand what you're saying, but you seem to be forgetting that this is a COMMUNITY college, not a full 4 year institution. And while her career is based off of a degree in what she's teaching, she's teaching an intro class as (effectively) "Social problems lite". The core of her field of study is a set of three sociological theories (fundamentalist, conflict, and social interaction) but she's doing such a terrible job as a teacher because of her focus on the inequality garbage that every student I've talked to about our final paper has said "I'm gonna have to go to wikipedia to figure out what the theories are".

I'm sorry, but if you can't get THE BASIS FOR THE ENTIRE SUBJECT across to the students because you are so preoccupied with a particular agenda, you shouldn't be teaching period.

It's like a preacher who's so focused on defending people from Satan he forgets to tell his congregation exactly who god is and what god does. Leaving the congregation saying in response to "Go with God!" "Who the hell is god and what does he have to do with Satan?" Or taking a philosophy course that ignores Plato in favor of discussing the fact that there is a god and it's christian and the teacher explains why all the other religions are wrong and their adherents are going to burn in hell for their audacity.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Hubby had a cold, which he then so graciously gave to me, so I'm sniffling and snuffling w/balloon-head Since Sun. At least it's not the flu (of any sort).

My husband also gets the week after Xmas entirely off, which is extremely unusual...last time he had 10 days in a row off was...um...I can't remember, it was so long ago. Being winter, we're unsure what to do with it. Hawaii would be fun but we'd rather continue being conservative in these economic times till we know better where we'll stand in a couple years, so...hmm. Maybe a cozy cabin in Tahoe/the mts?

Other than that, same ol' same ol'...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hubby had a cold, which he then so graciously gave to me, so I'm sniffling and snuffling w/balloon-head Since Sun. At least it's not the flu (of any sort).

My husband also gets the week after Xmas entirely off, which is extremely unusual...last time he had 10 days in a row off was...um...I can't remember, it was so long ago. Being winter, we're unsure what to do with it. Hawaii would be fun but we'd rather continue being conservative in these economic times till we know better where we'll stand in a couple years, so...hmm. Maybe a cozy cabin in Tahoe/the mts?

Other than that, same ol' same ol'...

I just booked a spot in Marin for our RV for the week after Christmas. We are going to take the ferry over to SF and visit a few places, the Aquarium of the Bay being one of them.

I just booked a spot in Marin for our RV for the week after Christmas. We are going to take the ferry over to SF and visit a few places, the Aquarium of the Bay being one of them.

I've heard it's nowhere near as good (or as big) as Monterey Aquarium but I've never been to it, so dunno. :)

Btw, cold enough for ya this week? Heard some snow got down to 260ft...and 18 inches on Mt. Diablo, but alas, I'm still waiting for sea level snow ala '76. ;)

(Snow covers the hills on Highway 24 at Interstate 680 looking toward Walnut Creek on Mon.)

ba-snow08_032_lh_0500932975.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I joined Greenpeace a little while ago. The way I figure it, if the establishment decries them all the time, they can't be all bad.

You mean like the KKK?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Had my tax exam today. Made such a freakin stupid mistake on one of the 4 major problems so there goes like 15% of my f'n grade right there. Not to mention if I messed up anything else. God damnit I'm angry. I need a stress ball, or something I can sexually release into, or both. But hey things are looking up, if studying and doing projects 7 hours a day the last week wasn't bad I still have to study all of tomorrow and then the next day. I haven't been this infuriated since high school English when I got a D on a paper beucase I didn't have any god damn photos of myself and somehow thats worth 40% of the grade. God damnit. So much pent of rage. I'm going to explode, sexually. And emotionally probably.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I found out I might be going to see a potential client in Minneapolis at the end of next week. So it's pepper spray and woolly hat time.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm making toast.

I had Eggo waffles. My cat didn't get any.

Currently idling around breathing thru my mouth because breathing thru my nose causes spikes of nasal/eye pain. I'd play Diablo but I can barely see the screen through my watering eyes.

My bathtub is leaking. I spent the whole day chasing that down. Turns out the leak is in the diverter valve and it's been leaking into the wall for some time now. This will be fun to fix. What a POS this house is.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hold up... there's a "Amish" choice under the religion section on Facebook? Umm... don't they condemn technology? This is a legit question, not trying to make fun of anybody...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Hold up... there's a "Amish" choice under the religion section on Facebook? Umm... don't they condemn technology? This is a legit question, not trying to make fun of anybody...

They do to a degree, but they won't totally handicap themselves by NOT having tech (they're allowed to use phones and electricity as necessity requires). And with everything going online now they probably need to have some sort of 'net connection to prevent having to go into town and wait in lines (and probably be made fun of by idiot middle schoolers).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Actually one of the rights of passage in Amish religionary is when you reach a certain age like 16 or 18 you are free to go out into the world and do whatever you want and after like 2 to 4 years you have to decide whether you want to leave that all behind and be Amish or continue your life of debauchery and godlessness. I believe if you pick the latter you're pretty much scorned and its really hard to get back in if you change your mind later. I listened to a podcast where one of the segments focused on a young man who went on his Amish pilgrimage into modern society and he got hard into partying and drugs and stuff and it was really hard for him to come back but he lives with his Amish family and has like extension cords coming through his window to power his electronics from his car and stuff. It was actually really interesting from what I recall.

Edit: I've been avoiding studying all day.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Ahh... makes sense... I probably should have recognized that when I was there over the summer and saw lawnmowers. :lol:

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

More TOMBS points to be had here

:lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein