Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

First off, I ****ing hate Java updates, it's been going on for an hour now.

Maria got what I wanted to say, I only add that you, as in the player, are sort of a lancer too.

What I meant with the Max Payne example: In DA, your character is your avatar, you choose her looks, gender, name, personality, decide where she goes, etc. In MP, you are given control of a predefined character (hell, at one point in 2, you control Mona, so there you have your lancer), Max chooses where to go next, what he says and so on. DA has every reason to call the player the hero, but MP doesn't (not that it wants to anyway).

Btw, aren't you a lancer in DA too at the beginning (and in the city elf origin a heroic bystander)? Isn't the focus at first on the king and Loghain, and you're sent off into that tower?

Yay, the update ****ing stopped.

Edited by Oner

In Syberia Kate is the main character, since her journey from materialism to spiritualism is the point, Hans is just a prop. In fact he doesn't even appear in the first game (btw, that's why the ending of the first game was fine, a lot of people just didn't get it). In KOTOR you can either find the Star Forge to save the galaxy or to put it to your own uses to subjugate the galaxy, the game doesn't force you to sacrifice yourself for the greater good.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

In Syberia Kate is the main character, since her journey from materialism to spiritualism is the point, Hans is just a prop. In fact he doesn't even appear in the first game (btw, that's why the ending of the first game was fine, a lot of people just didn't get it). In KOTOR you can either find the Star Forge to save the galaxy or to put it to your own uses to subjugate the galaxy, the game doesn't force you to sacrifice yourself for the greater good.

Well the game hasn't come out yet, it is entirely possible that you aren't forced to sacrifice yourself for the greater good. It mentions that that is what good little Grey Wardens do, however it is possible that there are multiple endings, one where you sacrifice yourself, one where you become evil or something, one where you find a cure etc.

First off, I ****ing hate Java updates, it's been going on for an hour now.

Maria got what I wanted to say, I only add that you, as in the player, are sort of a lancer too.

If you're going to split hairs like this, you can say this about any game. Including Dragon Age.

In DA, your character is your avatar, you choose her looks, gender, name, personality, decide where she goes, etc. In MP, you are given control of a predefined character (hell, at one point in 2, you control Mona, so there you have your lancer), Max chooses where to go next, what he says and so on. DA has every reason to call the player the hero, but MP doesn't (not that it wants to anyway).

This sounds like a semantics issue, and was certainly not what I wanted to imply. You play Max Payne because he's the focus of the story. It'd be very unusual for them to have created Max Payne, with all of his bullet time awesomeness, and then NOT let you, the player, play as Max Payne and experience it. Regardless of whether or not it's your "avatar" or whatever, most games focus around the primary character the player controls.

Btw, aren't you a lancer in DA too at the beginning (and in the city elf origin a heroic bystander)? Isn't the focus at first on the king and Loghain, and you're sent off into that tower?

You're still playing the character that's the focal point of the story. Just because you don't start off as the primary catalyst doesn't mean anything. Having said that, the focus is definitely not on the King, or Loghain. The focus is always on the character that you're controlling, and your role in fighting the Darkspawn with the King and Loghain (and Duncan) at Ostagar.

In KOTOR you can either find the Star Forge to save the galaxy or to put it to your own uses to subjugate the galaxy, the game doesn't force you to sacrifice yourself for the greater good.

In KOTOR you're forced to become a Jedi, as well as give a **** about the Star Forge. KOTOR isn't exactly freedom defined.

Dragon Age doesn't force you to sacrifice yourself for the greater good either.

Ok

So if they couldn't in some other fantasy universe they would be species?

I'd consider them a species. However, it might be an anachronism if they were called species within the setting if it was pre-modern.

They could also be a race; it's a correct, if archaic, use of the term.

"Not at all similar are the race of the immortal gods and the race of men who walk upon the earth."

"And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern over each race."

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

According to wikipedia:

In biology, a race is any inbreeding group, including taxonomic subgroups such as subspecies, taxonomically subordinate to a species and superordinate to a subrace and marked by a pre-determined profile of latent factors of hereditary traits.

You learn something new every day!

Damn scientists using the same name in different places...

Edited by Purkake

In Syberia Kate is the main character, since her journey from materialism to spiritualism is the point, Hans is just a prop. In fact he doesn't even appear in the first game (btw, that's why the ending of the first game was fine, a lot of people just didn't get it).

Hans V does appear in the end of the first game... outside the resort in Aralbad. Granted, though, it's a very short meeting & disappointing for anyone who expected some epic climax.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Not really a Dragon Age specific observation, but why do mages always wear robes?

OK, they must be comfy for pottering around doing experiments in your tower, but what about adventuring? You'd want a sturdy pair of boots, britches, a jacket and a cloak not to mention a belt, harness and pack for all your wizardly bits and bobs. You certainly wouldn't want a pointy hat. Or those curly-ended slippers with little bells on the end.

I want to see a swaggering, sexy wizard done up like Captain Jack Sparrow or something. Not Gandalf. NWN2 had sort of gonzo-goth wizards, which was a start.

cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I want to see a swaggering, sexy wizard done up like Captain Jack Sparrow or something. Not Gandalf. NWN2 had sort of gonzo-goth wizards, which was a start.

That's possible in Drakensang. It's one of the many little things the game did right.

As for DA, if the magic mirrors Baldur's Gate it should be fun. Maybe I'll play as a mage, take along Morrigan and petrify her, followed by smashing her to smithereens. Or drain the life out of every follower that starts about his/her childhood.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

^ Not really. Chainmail bikinis might be OK in context, but I'm getting to the point where I find them embarrassing. Hey, we know Morrigan gets her kit off later in the game, maybe it would be nicer if she stays covered up 'til that point.

I'm beginning to realise that one of my mage hang-ups is that they don't look cool.

sonsofgygax.JPG