Planescape: Torment Topic

Craigboy2

games is probable older than human species.

You know very good i was talking about computer/console games... and they are definately not older than human species :down:

You're denying the efforts of ancient alien video game programmers! :down:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Everyone knows that the internet and computers are based on alien technology discovered at the Roswell crash site in the 1950s. What many don't know is that this crash was staged by a race of intelligent machines in an effort to guide our planet's technological and social development.

When they come for us in 200 years, they

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

You know very good i was talking about computer/console games... and they are definately not older than human species :down:

doesn't matter what you were talking 'bout. games has been 'round probable back before cro magnon, and games ain't gotten the benefit of doubt as an art form in all that time. makes harder for computer/console games to somehow change.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@Boo: Shadow of the Colossus would be the PST of console gamers. A game that was buggy all over, didn't sell all that well(AFAIK) and went largely unnoticed. Now everyone is yelling it's artsy-ness as loud as they can.

It wasn't buggy at all on my PS2, dunno where you got that from. Did you actually play it?

I haven't played it. Multiple people have complained about serious framerate drops and a lot of people hate the controls.

Replace "buggy" with "janky".

Edited by Purkake

Except SotC had a very "empty" story meant to be open to interpretation while PS:T was very wordy.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

You know very good i was talking about computer/console games... and they are definately not older than human species :p

doesn't matter what you were talking 'bout. games has been 'round probable back before cro magnon, and games ain't gotten the benefit of doubt as an art form in all that time. makes harder for computer/console games to somehow change.

HA! Good Fun!

All right, then.

Backgammon: is it art?

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

You know very good i was talking about computer/console games... and they are definately not older than human species :p

HA! Good Fun!

All right, then.

no. neither is chess or monopoly or poker or any other game we can think of at the moment. maybe some folks consider chess an art, but not most folks.

computer games can combine elements o' film and literature, but they is still viewed as games. no matter how good the game there is gonna be some resistance to use o' the art label.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@Boo: Shadow of the Colossus would be the PST of console gamers. A game that was buggy all over, didn't sell all that well(AFAIK) and went largely unnoticed. Now everyone is yelling it's artsy-ness as loud as they can.

It wasn't buggy at all on my PS2, dunno where you got that from. Did you actually play it?

I haven't played it. Multiple people have complained about serious framerate drops and a lot of people hate the controls.

when this game came out nearly every review mentioned it's "arty-ness" that's not something that happened later, its been present since day one.

as for the controls, i just sigh when i read people complaining about how the horse doesnt always do exactly what you want. its a horse not a car, sometimes when you pull on the reigns he'll resist you a bit. its not bad control, its excellent, realistic control.

the jumping/climbing on the other hand... yeah that could have used a bit of work. games like assassins creed make jumping and climbing much easier.

i think ICO gets a lot less attention than shadow of the colossus

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

HA! Good Fun!

All right, then.

no. neither is chess or monopoly or poker or any other game we can think of at the moment. maybe some folks consider chess an art, but not most folks.

computer games can combine elements o' film and literature, but they is still viewed as games. no matter how good the game there is gonna be some resistance to use o' the art label.

HA! Good Fun!

Seems like the barrier on what keeps games as 'games' and not art is that, compared to music and movies, games require input or an action from someone else than the artist(see what i did there? hur-hur) to fully unravel the creation itself. That is not required for a painting, an architecture, a book, a set of music or a movie.

A game may have a splendid soundtrack, excellent story, magnificent dialogue and unbelievable art-design, where all of these individual components may be considered as art. However, they are still layers of the core itself: game that has a set of rules and that requires the interaction of one or several players to be experienced.

I do not agree with that notion, but i think that it is there where the difference lies for many.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

when this game came out nearly every review mentioned it's "arty-ness" that's not something that happened later, its been present since day one.

as for the controls, i just sigh when i read people complaining about how the horse doesnt always do exactly what you want. its a horse not a car, sometimes when you pull on the reigns he'll resist you a bit. its not bad control, its excellent, realistic control.

the jumping/climbing on the other hand... yeah that could have used a bit of work. games like assassins creed make jumping and climbing much easier.

i think ICO gets a lot less attention than shadow of the colossus

Still, many people didn't discover it until later. I don't really have any desire to play it, though.

Seems like the barrier on what keeps games as 'games' and not art is that, compared to music and movies, games require input or an action from someone else than the artist(see what i did there? hur-hur) to fully unravel the creation itself. That is not required for a painting, an architecture, a book, a set of music or a movie.

That's not really true though; many painters worked with the idea of provoking a response or emotion in their work. Art in general requires some form of engagement in the viewer.

There's actually a theory in literature that the authorial intent doesn't matter, only what the reader gets from the book.

My point is, I don't think the interactivity with the audience is the problem; just as people don't generally consider someone's home movies to be an example of art in movies, there's always a dividing line (often variable) between "art" and "not art". I think there's been no attempt to either critically discuss/analyze games or create a division or a classification over what "games as art" would even mean.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Still, many people didn't discover it until later. I don't really have any desire to play it, though.

it's certainly not for everyone. you need to be the kind of person who appreciates aesthetics and emotion to really get anything out of it. it's like a brilliantly executed interactive silent film. I think it's pretty close to something miyazaki would have done were he interested in making video games without dialogue.

in other words, if you're the type of person who thinks "Spirited Away" was boring, then stay FAR from SotC. plotwise there is no real similarity, but tonally and emotionally they both conjure up the same feelings of isolation, loneliness, nostalgia, and whimsical sorrow.

edit: the gameplay is nothing special imo though

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

it's certainly not for everyone. you need to be the kind of person who appreciates aesthetics and emotion to really get anything out of it. it's like a brilliantly executed interactive silent film. I think it's pretty close to something miyazaki would have done were he interested in making video games without dialogue.

in other words, if you're the type of person who thinks "Spirited Away" was boring, then stay FAR from SotC. plotwise there is no real similarity, but tonally and emotionally they both conjure up the same feelings of isolation, loneliness, nostalgia, and whimsical sorrow.

edit: the gameplay is nothing special imo though

I don't have any desire to play it because it's on the PS2 and I don't have any at hand(or anywhere else for that matter). Never seen Spirited Away.

I imagine it's somewhat like the new Prince of Persia's ending-ish part. I know the general plot and whatnot.

Correction: You have to pay a little more to see the ending.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Kinda shaming confession here, but... I've never finished Prince of Persia. I usually get killed by a guard.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Correction: You have to pay a little more to see the ending.

But only on consoles.

The original PoP was horrible because of the time limit.

No it wasn

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Never seen Spirited Away.

it's arguably one of the best animated movies of all time.

and it's probably my personal favorite, but it makes me depressed and sad for several days every time I watch it.

people who can't remember their own childhood, or who have no blood pumping in their veins probably won't like it.

I'm thinking of not talking to you again until you watch it :down: