Planescape: Torment Topic

Craigboy2

Or they could end up like comic books: a unique art form that becomes massively popular among a wide range of demographics but later deteriorates into almost nothing but adolescent male power fantasies as the bulk of 'culture' continues to spurn it.

I think you got it backwards, it started out as cheap entertainment and later evovled into an artform that has everybit as much range of expressions and artistry as anything else. But they dont sell the good stuff at Wall-mart, obviously, so youll have to go looking.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

seriously, why everyone thinks that commercial failure = failure of the product... Van Gogh died poor because of commercial failure during his life, but nowadays his paintings are considered as part of the best creations which were ever made by mankind...

same will happen with few games aswell, when they start to be taken more seriously like books and movies in the past... And Torment will be one of them...

1) you is dreaming if you believe that ps:t will ever be considered an artistic masterpiece = starry night.

really. am not even gonna argue this. ps:t is our fave game, but if you thinks ps:t ever gets cred as genuine art from some significant portion o' public and academia, then you is deluded.

HA! Good Fun!

To be fair, no videogame has managed something of that magnitude yet.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Or they could end up like comic books: a unique art form that becomes massively popular among a wide range of demographics but later deteriorates into almost nothing but adolescent male power fantasies as the bulk of 'culture' continues to spurn it.

I think you got it backwards, it started out as cheap entertainment and later evovled into an artform that has everybit as much range of expressions and artistry as anything else. But they dont sell the good stuff at Wall-mart, obviously, so youll have to go looking.

Not really; comic books in the US started as reprints of comic books that appealed to a wide range of readers. Through the 1940s readership was strong amid kids and teens, but also GIs in WWII. In the 50s the best selling comics, like the horror, crime and romance comics, sold to teens and adults alike in massive numbers.

It was the self censorship movement (the Comics Code Authority) that was a reaction to the United States Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency (1954) hearings (so disastrously featured an appearance by EC's Bill Gains) which led the readers away from comic books. This movement was pushed by the kid oriented publishers (of superhero and comedy material that had seen their reader base evaporate) that helped stunt the growth of the medium, pushing out publishers of more adult comic fare in favor of "safer" reading.

(To be fair, there was competing products also vying for attention; adults had also began moving into the magazine successor to the pulps - like adventure and romance magazines - and to paperbacks.)

Even with the CCA, comics had lost a lot of ground in terms of public perception; the Senate Subcommittee cemented the media as one for kid oriented works, and a lot of parents didn't trust the media and threw the whole industry in a tailspin that wouldn't recover until the second superhero genre boom of the late 50s.

Video games are in many ways in the same boats as comics; there are still many who will argue the media of either can never be art (which is a different argument from whether it *is* art now or not) and that their primary purpose is entertaining kids (and adults who should know better. *tsk, tsk*)

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You'll have a lot of people who'll debate you on that point (not me, of course) particularly in academics.

We're starting the second century (roughly) of the media/style so again I don't think Video Games are going to get critical content studies (as opposed to critical studies about the effects of games).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Actually, comics are also referred to as the 9th art, so it's safe to say they count as art.

who refers to comics as the 9th art? is probable some euro-trash affectation.

we thinks some comics has risen to level o' art, but am not gonna go so far as to suggest that our personal belief is common or accepted by a significant % o' academics. however, the numbers o' academics who has begun to accept comics as potential art is growing. we saw the beginnings of a shift occur during late 80s. weren't no sea change or anything...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If any game is ever going to be considered art by the academic community, I feel it will be something that uses the medium to its fullest. Planescape's writing was amazing, perhaps one of the best, but it could almost as well be a pick-your-own-adventure book. The interactivity is really only used to the fullest in dialogue, since then there have been many amazing things done with the genre. Just look at Achron, the time traveling RTS or any other experimental game from the last few GDCs. Games have a long way to go and only a fraction of the medium's true potential has been tapped.

Edited by Purkake

If academics ever decide that gaming is art, something like PST would only ever be discussed as a node on the path to the artistic environment (much as how the early fictional short films are seen; primitive curiosities that hinted at some of the possibilities in the medium)

If any game is ever going to be considered art by the academic community, I feel it will be something that uses the medium to its fullest. Planescape's writing was amazing, perhaps one of the best, but it could almost as well be a pick-your-own-adventure book. The interactivity is really only used to the fullest in dialogue, since then there have been many amazing things done with the genre. Just look at Achron, the time traveling RTS or any other experimental game from the last few GDCs. Games have a long way to go and only a fraction of the medium's true potential has been tapped.

Yet its funny, Shadow of the Colossus offers nothing new at all gameplay wise, but its still a mindblowing experience.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I love PS:T, but there's one thing I hate about it. It's that every topic about the game has to be about whether it's art or not.

:(

Good point, but what else is there left to discuss about it? The sequel thread went to hell and back along with the poor woman who made it.

Also, blame whoever brought up art. I told back then that the art discussion won't ever go anywhere.

@Oner: There are better books and better movies, video games need to do something unique with the medium that differentiates them from other forms of art.

@Boo: Shadow of the Colossus would be the PST of console gamers. A game that was buggy all over, didn't sell all that well(AFAIK) and went largely unnoticed. Now everyone is yelling it's artsy-ness as loud as they can.

Edited by Purkake

im sticking with my 30 years from now the games industry will be recognized as having roughly the same artistic merit as the film industry. including emotionless noise cannons like transformers, and more serious works like (fill in your favorite art-house type film here)

those of you who think it will take as long as comic books may be right, but i think that videogames will move quickly to the same level of recognition as film. 30 years (or less) quickly.

for the record: it totally blows my mind that the greater population thinks writing without pictures is art, and pictures without writing is art but writing with pictures is not art

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

for the record: it totally blows my mind that the greater population thinks writing without pictures is art, and pictures without writing is art but writing with pictures is not art

what greater population is you talking 'bout?

the greater population that Gromnir knows does not think that writing without pictures equals art. get a bill in the mail from electric company. not art. memo from boss 'bout excessive bathroom breaks or misuse o' lunchroom microwave. not art. similarly, am not certain o' the public you reference that believes pictures without writing is art. picture of a crappy desk that somebody is trying to sell on craigslist for $200. not art. picture of what your lawn will look like if you use Miracle-Gro. not art. you people is being silly. pictures and writing not got some kinda wacky Art free pass from... anybody.

has nothing to do with pictures and writing. is more than a few illustrated kids books that is probably considered art by mainstream. ever seen what some o' those pre-printing press illustrated bibles auction for? is Comics that ain't easily embraced as art.

what is difference 'tween comics and other forms o' illustrated books? not much, but perception is hard to shake. even so, is no writing + pictures = crap. is Comics = crap. is no different than pr0n. is any reason that pr0n can't be art? probable not, but given the target audience and fact that there ain't no widely accepted Art pr0n, the genre faces a serious uphill battle in gaining recognition... not that the pr0n industry is concerned 'bout lack o' academic respect. regardless, quit with the silly pictures + writing nonsense.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I was in a coffee shop a couple of days ago, and there were these 4'x'4' canvases covered edge to edge with brown paper, shaped like letters, and spelling out the song lyrics to "Big Chief". ~Art?

Planescape was art in the same way that a mechanical gold watch (perhaps with filigree patterns on the inside gears) is art. *Even if no one but the watch maker ever sees it.

Art = skill; old world trade crafts are sometimes referred to as arts. In Fantasy literature, the wizards trade is

"the art" (also called the dark arts). A work of art is always a work of skill ~but works of skill are not always works of art. Personally I don't hold random abstract paintings as art, (random is not skill), but I would not say that abstract art can't be the product of skill ~those that are count as art in my book.

Planescape tickles the mind in a artful way, and I'm sure its deliberate ~So Planescape will always be art to me.

seriously, why everyone thinks that commercial failure = failure of the product... Van Gogh died poor because of commercial failure during his life, but nowadays his paintings are considered as part of the best creations which were ever made by mankind...

same will happen with few games aswell, when they start to be taken more seriously like books and movies in the past... And Torment will be one of them...

1) you is dreaming if you believe that ps:t will ever be considered an artistic masterpiece = starry night.

really. am not even gonna argue this. ps:t is our fave game, but if you thinks ps:t ever gets cred as genuine art from some significant portion o' public and academia, then you is deluded.

HA! Good Fun!

because games are about 70 years younger than movies and more than few hundred years younger than books :down:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

HA! Good Fun!

because games are about 70 years younger than movies and more than few hundred years younger than books :down:

games is probable older than human species.

HA! Good Fun!

@Boo: Shadow of the Colossus would be the PST of console gamers. A game that was buggy all over, didn't sell all that well(AFAIK) and went largely unnoticed. Now everyone is yelling it's artsy-ness as loud as they can.

It wasn't buggy at all on my PS2, dunno where you got that from. Did you actually play it?

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

games is probable older than human species.

You know very good i was talking about computer/console games... and they are definately not older than human species :down:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours