What are you playing now?

SteveThaiBinh

It's very difficult to hold this kind of discussion about piracy on a developer's forum. Anything that seems to justify or encourage piracy has to be deleted. I strongly those involved to take this debate elsewhere.

I'm really enjoying Drakensang. It's a beautiful game, and challenging at times. I really hope my character isn't messed up - still not entirely sure how the 'Talent Tests' work, other than 'High Numbers Good'.

It could do with more frequent interjections from party members, but they do happen from time to time. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It's very difficult to hold this kind of discussion about piracy on a developer's forum. Anything that seems to justify or encourage piracy has to be deleted. I strongly those involved to take this debate elsewhere.

I'm really enjoying Drakensang. It's a beautiful game, and challenging at times. I really hope my character isn't messed up - still not entirely sure how the 'Talent Tests' work, other than 'High Numbers Good'.

It could do with more frequent interjections from party members, but they do happen from time to time. :)

Check out the Steam pdf manual here. It helps quite a bit.

Empty moralizing leads to nowhere and anyone who says they never played a pirated game or used a pirated program is most likely lying. The only people who don't use them are the clueless users who use their pc for watching movies and playing solitaire.

Man, I ain't never pirated anything! (well there was that thing with 300 but that wasn't me)

Its not a matter of justification, but mere facts. The impact of piracy on sales is blown out of proportion for the sole reason that piracy does not equal sales lost . Most of the people use it because its free and the chances of getting caught are slim to none, but they would not in fact buy the product most of the time. Places where piracy is rampant are those that don't have a legal market (like my country), so no dev/publisher is really losing anything since their products are not even there in the first place.

Finally the irrefutable argument is that developers kick the bucket because of bad games (or a good game that just doesnt sell)- not because of piracy. That has been the case for as far as I have been following the scene and I think a decade is long enough.

I do not endorse piracy, but the fact is is that its the 5% of "natural corruption" in an otherwise very functioning and flourishing industry. Just like every government and business has its "free riders" that get something for nothing.

Good games rarely have trouble selling and that's all there is to it.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I say I did the right thing

By pirating a game? Of course not.

Yeah, no, you are still a thief.

I recently traded in my 360 for a PS3, but I really wanted to keep playing Saint's Row 2. I guess I could have stolen the game off the store shelf, but I decided to buy it instead. You know, because that isn't illegal, and it also supports the developer whose product I enjoyed enough to play more than once.

Considering that Steve just came in here I hope this doesn't run afoul of the board guidelines, but here goes.

I was thinking about this issue on the road today and was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on the matter. Format shifting is something that has become an issue lately in the music and video spheres where people want the ability to purchase their content once and be able to play it on whatever device they have at hand whether it be a stereo, dvd player, portable mp3 player, computer or what have you. Other than the obvious (downloading a new copy, need for a modded console) what is the difference between format shifting like this and downloading a copy of a game that you own so that you can play it on a different platform (Own on 360, want to play on PS3)?

As for the original topic of this thread, I'm currently in between games. Left 4 Dead still gets some play every couple days with some friends, but I haven't gotten into anything else since I finished my run of the BG series. I just picked up the Metroid Prime Trilogy so I'm considering going through those games again, but I haven't decided yet. I'd kill for a console and a copy of NHL 10 though...

It could do with more frequent interjections from party members, but they do happen from time to time. original.gif

Basically all tests in the game are 3 rolls with a 20-sided dice - skills/spells are all governed by 3 attributes and you need to roll *below* each attribute to be 'succesful'. If not, then your talent/spell prowess is used to try to 'bend' the checks into success... TP* & SP* are the remains of your talent prowess & spell prowess after the check... SP* is often used in spell effects and if it is 0 after a spell check, it's possible that the spell has no effect at all even though it cost 'mana'...

I'm replaying the game as a 'warrior' so this time I can take along some other companions. Gladys can stay, though, as I quite like her occasional smart-mouthing comments.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It could do with more frequent interjections from party members, but they do happen from time to time. :sorcerer:

I like the Amazon, as ****y and untalkative as she is.

Reminds me of myself when I haven't had my cup of coffee in the morning.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Every now and again I get the urge to replay some really old games. Sometimes this coincides with the urge to play something Romance of the Three Kingdoms related.

The result is this game.

post-3116-1252895056_thumb.jpg

Its actually a mod for Sangokushi Sousouden, which recreates the game Sangokushi Koumeiden, both developed by KOEI in the mid-late 90s. Learn more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangokushi_Sousouden

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangokushi_Koumeiden

As you can tell by the screenshot, its a turn based tactical SRPG. You take on the role of the famous strategist Zhuge Liang and help Liu Bei restore the empire of the Han Dynasty.

I played this game to death when I was in middle and high school and a few days ago found my old SouSouDen CD which sparked my nostalgia nerve centers. A quick internet search revealed the existence of a fantastic mod community for SouSouDen and I've been reliving my younger gaming days with glee.

Awesome, I didn't know someone recreated the Zhuge Liang version for the Cao Cao version. The latter had the best engine but was level-scaled so the challenge was gone.

Awesome, I didn't know someone recreated the Zhuge Liang version for the Cao Cao version. The latter had the best engine but was level-scaled so the challenge was gone.

Check out Kongming.net, they usually have the older games up for DL.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

There are actually a lot of mods in production. The mod community I visited is http://cafe.naver.com/jojopeople.cafe?ifra...articleid=33533

Its a Korean site, but I seem to remember you are Korean, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding your way around if you're curious. You have to join the community to have access to the mods and other stuff (need a naver account) but I think its worth it.

I think there are around 3 mods centered around Zhuge Liang currently in production as well a myriad of others centered around other famous characters like Zhao Yun, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Ma Chao, Zhang Liao, Lu Bu, Cao Cao. There are Chinese mods as well centered around other famous generals in Chinese history like Yue Fei during the Song Dynasty and his campaign against the Jurchens. Also Korean based mods featuring famous Korean generals.

Its all pretty cool.

Every now and again I get the urge to replay some really old games. Sometimes this coincides with the urge to play something Romance of the Three Kingdoms related.

The result is this game.

post-3116-1252895056_thumb.jpg

As you can tell by the screenshot, its a turn based tactical SRPG. You take on the role of the famous strategist Zhuge Liang and help Liu Bei restore the empire of the Han Dynasty.

Have you tried Battle For Wesnoth? It's a little pearl of a game that look much like that one..

battle_for_wesnoth.jpg

Fortune favors the bald.

Played a bit of L4D vs with Der.

My team got our asses kicked in 3 rounds (we died they survived)

Although I did have a sweet hunter hit on the second level of dead air, der was on the fire escape and I managed to pounce down, then back up onto him and clawed out half of his life.

Although I did have a sweet hunter hit on the second level of dead air, der was on the fire escape and I managed to pounce down, then back up onto him and clawed out half of his life.

Yeah, you got more than half of my life on that one. I'm pretty sure I went down to at least the 30's if not 20's on that one. That second and third level was just horrible. I lost track of how many times you guys managed to land a pounce on me. I almost managed to clear out your team with my tank in the airport though. Another second and I would have managed to get that rock away.

Yeah, you got more than half of my life on that one. I'm pretty sure I went down to at least the 30's if not 20's on that one. That second and third level was just horrible. I lost track of how many times you guys managed to land a pounce on me. I almost managed to clear out your team with my tank in the airport though. Another second and I would have managed to get that rock away.

hehe, I was the survivor that managed to kill you.

I felt very very good about that, I was sure you were gonna plaster me all over that hallway, then you went after evgeni and I somehow managed to get behind you (I think I used one of your swings to propel me back towards Deadsilence) and finally managed to down you.

Your team seemed to have better overall coordination than ours.

Good games rarely have trouble selling[/i] and that's all there is to it.

VTM:B & Arcanum disagree. Could name more, but they seem most appropriate on a RPG dev forums.

Bad luck *shrugs*.

That's why I said rarely, nto all the time.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Basically all tests in the game are 3 rolls with a 20-sided dice - skills/spells are all governed by 3 attributes and you need to roll *below* each attribute to be 'succesful'. If not, then your talent/spell prowess is used to try to 'bend' the checks into success... TP* & SP* are the remains of your talent prowess & spell prowess after the check... SP* is often used in spell effects and if it is 0 after a spell check, it's possible that the spell has no effect at all even though it cost 'mana'...

Thanks for trying, but I didn't follow that at all. I suppose if I read the manual carefully I would understand - I usually do read game manuals (me and almost no-one else) but this one just had too much new and unfamiliar information to absorbe. Plus, I'm not sure my brain has sufficient capacity to hold these rules and THAC0 simultaneously, and I still need THAC0 for replaying Baldur's Gate.

I'm replaying the game as a 'warrior' so this time I can take along some other companions. Gladys can stay, though, as I quite like her occasional smart-mouthing comments.

Gladys is fun. The Amazon woman, not so much. Is she supposed to have a quest of her own? So far she's inert.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)