What are you playing now?

SteveThaiBinh

I'm actually playing the "closed" beta of Aion (another MMO). I was interested in this because it runs on the CryEngine, and it sure does look prettier than most MMO's. But compared to Crysis, it looks like absolute crap. I will probably post a few screenies from it when I'm not feeling lazy (and hungover).

As far as the actual game goes.. it couldn't be more generic if it tried. I started as a scout, got a dagger, did my first ten quests (all of which were "get me x amounts of y") before logging off. I will not be paying to play this.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm actually playing the "closed" beta of Aion (another MMO). I was interested in this because it runs on the CryEngine, and it sure does look prettier than most MMO's. But compared to Crysis, it looks like absolute crap. I will probably post a few screenies from it when I'm not feeling lazy (and hungover).

As far as the actual game goes.. it couldn't be more generic if it tried. I started as a scout, got a dagger, did my first ten quests (all of which were "get me x amounts of y") before logging off. I will not be paying to play this.

That's weird. It's so hugely popular at the moment.

Is there anything in the game you can see that makes you understand why it is so hugely popular?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

That's weird. It's so hugely popular at the moment.

Is there anything in the game you can see that makes you understand why it is so hugely popular?

WoW was banned in China until pretty recently AND your character gets wings what they can use to fly around.

Also something about paying per hour of play instead of months so you don't waste money when you're not playing.

Edited by Purkake

Hey, if I can get wings, I'm already sold.

The only thing better than wings is the Big Daddy suit.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah. I find the first time I encounter someone using a new weapon, they often seem to drop it that first time though. At least in 1.07.

Would be awesome if that were true, but I think you've just had some luck there. A little luck is a good thing.

The drop calculations in 1.07 were probably different though but it's so long since I played a game of 1.07, that I couldn't compare it to 1.13.

I'm sure I've asked you this before, but do you need 1.12 (Gold Edition) to add 1.13?

I'm sure I've asked you this before, but do you need 1.12 (Gold Edition) to add 1.13?

The preferred method is a fresh install of Jag 2 gold patched to 1.12, but I think people play it with the 1.07 version of the original and don't seem to have problems.

If all I had was the 1.07, I would definitely go ahead and give 1.13 a shot. The worse that can happen is it doesn't work. :)

Boo: You might want to allow "enemies drop all their stuff" option in the preferances (or the ini editor). Without it only the stuff in "enemy inventory" can drop and they don't carry anything usable.

With drop all enabled, you would have gotten a few rifles, an AR or two even before the counter attack. After the attack, your sector inventory coul hit 1000+ items. (Thou this does give you a good advantage till 1/2 of the game

To defend against the attack without the only exploit (the AI still can't destroy wallls to gain entry to buildings and they can't blindfire into the buildings through walls to force you out) left in the game, you need to hire some heavy duty mercs for 1 day at the beginning and use them, ira and your IMP to defeat the attack using pre planned positions, traps and crossfires. After the attack you will have to release them as your finances wont be able to keep them on the field more than a day or three (and you can't blitz like the vanilla and capture everycity other than Meduna before first week ends.)

I saw that option (and it is more realistic that way) but I think I'll keep it for the next playthrough, since my mercs got through the counterattack alive.

Whoever said the drop scales is apparently right, I attacked the middle Drassen area by night, killed about 10 enemies and was rewarded with a WWII era Nazi rifle :ermm: Still my 90 + marksmanship PC (lvl3 now) decimated the low level goons with it .

Thanks for the advice :ermm:

I was curious how realistic the game is as far as shooting distances are concerned so I did some checking up. If one square in the game is roughly 1m (because a doorway takes up one square) then the regular max effective distance of a gun is 10m, however my spec ops encylopedia says a handguns effective range in combat is 30-40m. Okay had the game had to compromise obviously, but the clever thing is that the more or less scaled it down right. SMG' are useful effective for twice that distance, rifles three or more times and so on...

As for the rest of the ideas in the game they remind me of Frederick Forsyth's novel "Dogs of War", and since studying these sort of events is my job I was pleasantly surprised as to how realitic the game is (take mines for money, airports for transport, train militia). Sure the time factor doesnt correspond to reality but I would say this is quite realistic, and follows several real life scenarios.

Forgive my excitement but this is the first time I'm playing JA2 and I'm thrilled to find it even better than people say. It drives the game I quit playing because of it - Fallout Tactics, right into the ground.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Forgive my excitement but this is the first time I'm playing JA2 and I'm thrilled to find it even better than people say. It drives the game I quit playing because of it - Fallout Tactics, right into the ground.

Nothing to forgive. Jag 2 is quite the awesome game, modded or not.

Tactics is a fun game in its own right, but just a pale shadow really of Jag 2.

On your next playthrough you should definitely bump the difficulty to expert or even insane. SOme people like to play the game at very high difficulty but give themslevs lots of money and top end gear right at the start. That way it becomes more a game of tatcical combt and less of loot acquisition.

I myself prefer the gameplay of slowly getting enough gear to equip a team and find that if I get a lot of good gear right away (for example using the drop all option), I tend to find the game less fun.

But one of the goals of 1.13 was to make the game highly customizable for Jag 2 vets so they could set up their own parameters for how they wanted to play the game.

Not yet, but I am only level 6. Levelling up is slow for me. Maybe it's because I suck or maybe the game is made that way. I am playing a scout and even though I am dual wielding the best daggers that money can buy (for my level), I am doing 2-10 hitpoints of damage for every hit in combat. And this is on enemies with a few thousand hitpoints (as all enemies have)! The only way for me to actually kill something is to attack them one-on-one and then "spam" all my skills repeatedly, since they do 60-120 hitpoints worth of damage. Unfortunately, spamming in this game means hitting one button once every 4-5 seconds. That's how exciting combat is.

It's horribly boring, but I am hoping getting wings will alleviate some of that. I will try to get to level 10 at least, since that's when "people" say the game opens up.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I was curious how realistic the game is as far as shooting distances are concerned so I did some checking up. If one square in the game is roughly 1m (because a doorway takes up one square) then the regular max effective distance of a gun is 10m, however my spec ops encylopedia says a handguns effective range in combat is 30-40m.

30-40m is rather generous for a standard 9mm SLP I'd say, but that's a geeky argument for another thread :lol:

Maybe a Gucci .45 or 10mm handgun with a Picatinny rail loaded with peripherals would do that, but by that stage you might well be using an M4 system or similar anyway. I used to be a reasonable pistol shot and I was good to go with a Browning 9mm at 25 meters. Anything beyond that was luck, and modern ballistic armour would afford considerable protection against that.

JA2: One of the most awesome, perfectly formed and efficacious computer games ever made, I'm jealous that you've just discovered it. Enjoy.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I was curious how realistic the game is as far as shooting distances are concerned so I did some checking up. If one square in the game is roughly 1m (because a doorway takes up one square) then the regular max effective distance of a gun is 10m, however my spec ops encylopedia says a handguns effective range in combat is 30-40m.

30-40m is rather generous for a standard 9mm SLP I'd say, but that's a geeky argument for another thread :brows:

Maybe a Gucci .45 or 10mm handgun with a Picatinny rail loaded with peripherals would do that, but by that stage you might well be using an M4 system or similar anyway. I used to be a reasonable pistol shot and I was good to go with a Browning 9mm at 25 meters. Anything beyond that was luck, and modern ballistic armour would afford considerable protection against that.

JA2: One of the most awesome, perfectly formed and efficacious computer games ever made, I'm jealous that you've just discovered it. Enjoy.

Cheers

MC

It was a quote from a special ops DK encyclopedia. I don't like those books much, they are mostly picture books with too little text, but it was written by an ex US marine or something. Anyway, yes that's a flame for another day. :lol:

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

It is amazing how well JA2 has aged, particularly with 1.13 increasing the resolution.

The sprite-based animation is not very mod-friendly and it could have used some multi-level buildings.

As a single game, it's still really awesome, though.

Edited by Purkake

Good Old Games has a 'buy one get one free' promo on right now on selected Interplay titles, so I bought Fallout 1 & 2, Tactics and Giants: Citizen Kabuto for $11.98. It's been ages since I played FO1 or 2, and I never played Tactics or Giant before so I'll be busy until AP arrives.

Can anyone confirm whether fan-made mods work with the GOG downloads?

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Good Old Games has a 'buy one get one free' promo on right now on selected Interplay titles, so I bought Fallout 1 & 2, Tactics and Giants: Citizen Kabuto for $11.98. It's been ages since I played FO1 or 2, and I never played Tactics or Giant before so I'll be busy until AP arrives.

Can anyone confirm whether fan-made mods work with the GOG downloads?

They should, because the version you get after installing is pretty much the standard version, no crazy Steam folders. I don't know from first-hand experience, though.

I always wanted to play Giants: Citizen Kabuto, but never got around to. It's supposed to be really awesome.

They should, because the version you get after installing is pretty much the standard version, no crazy Steam folders. I don't know from first-hand experience, though.

I always wanted to play Giants: Citizen Kabuto, but never got around to. It's supposed to be really awesome.

They do. :p

Thanks both.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

The only game where one can play as a blue, topless chick with a sword & bow (future BioWare games not included).

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The only game where one can play as a blue, topless chick with a sword & bow (future BioWare games not included).

There's also a giant wrestler dude and British humor, right?

There's also a giant wrestler dude and British humor, right?

it all works for me :p