FO:NV

Gorth

Wow, you're all mourning the absence of a manual?

You guys have some serious issues.

Seriously. The original Fallout manuals were entertaining, but if I ever have to wade through a D20-style laundry list of class, race, feat, skill, and spell descriptions again, it'll be too soon.

i am generally of the opinion that an intuitive UI and adequate tooltips/tutorial in game should be all thats needed, if a manual is really needed then the ui developer isn't at the top of his or her game.

now thats not the case for EVERY game, some complex games really do benefit from a great manual.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I like a lot of the ideas I've read here regarding item degradation and customization, and thought I'd throw in my $.02 (much of it a variation on previous posts).

Handling of item conditions and scarcity in fo3 was one of my least favorite mechanics, and it definitely negatively changed the mood of the game for me. One of the things I really liked about the previous games was that you could field very rare or unique weapons without having to worry about replacements or wasting cash at merchants for the repairs. You only really had to worry about ammo for certain weapons, 2mm EC for gauss weapons for instance. With the mechanics of fo3 in place, you have to a constant supply of the same item to keep it in reasonable condition, and that really does a number on the whole feeling of item scarcity. I mean, you're practically drowning in combat shotguns, assault rifles, and 10mm pistols. Not only that, it forces you into having less variety of equipment since items aren't cross repairable inside of their general category.

On the flipside, If you're using unique equipment like the gauss rifle from oa, you're quickly going to become your local handy man's favorite victim *cough*, I mean customer.

I agree that item repair kits would be a solution to many of these problems. Perhaps something simple like:

*unarmed/melee repair

*small arms repair

*big guns repair

*energy repair

But tbh, I agree more with the previous posters who just want it gone altogether, instead advocating sets of fixed weapon conditions that could be combined for a better grade, and be damaged by critical failures, but didn't degrade with regular use.

Also I'd also love to see the reintroduction of damage types, damage thresholds, and ammo types.

And level scaling sucks btw.

Sorry if this wasn't very coherent, it lacked coffee.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

You should post more often. You have excellent taste and judgement. I like to encourage that sort of thing. :thumbsup:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah I mean the problem I always had with weapon condition was that I would get really obsessive compulsive and want my weapon in top condition for every fight and it just drove me mad, and I'd go out of my way all the time to fix the weapon.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Yeah, that's why it becomes more work than fun. ...And, since you don't really need your weapon in top shape for every fight, the design team can save you from yourself. Generally speaking, I think the design team should at least hear what folks say about features, but a good designer does what's necessary to make the design better, not what player consensus dictates. Frankly, it's hard as hell to find player consensus and when we achieve that pinnacle of madness, sometimes our intentions have paved that famous pathway to hell.

But tbh, I agree more with the previous posters who just want it gone altogether, instead advocating sets of fixed weapon conditions that could be combined for a better grade, and be damaged by critical failures, but didn't degrade with regular use.

Also I'd also love to see the reintroduction of damage types, damage thresholds, and ammo types.

Absolutely.

Damage types, i had forgotten about that. It would be a neat addition to bring back the old damage types and maybe some new ones like slashing/ piercing/ bashing damage.

On a different topic, how about some variety in unarmed attacks? Maybe start off with the standard punch and kick and unlock new ones as you increase your skill, like in fallout 2? It would make unarmed characters more interesting i think. And we'd get to see animated piercing kicks :()

No matter what, while I don't much use manuals either, it's still a valid statement to respond to complaints about game features by saying, "That's covered in the manual."

yes it is, which is i believe what i said to someone which started all this hullabaloo about manuals :lol:

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

No matter what, while I don't much use manuals either, it's still a valid statement to respond to complaints about game features by saying, "That's covered in the manual."

yes it is, which is i believe what i said to someone which started all this hullabaloo about manuals :lol:

That's what I had in mind when I made the post. Of course, New Vegas should only include a pdf manual included on the disk. hehe

You should post more often. You have excellent taste and judgement. I like to encourage that sort of thing. :)

I appreciate the compliment, and honestly I would have posted here more frequently If I'd known there was a fo:nv forum here rather than bsoft.

Yeah I mean the problem I always had with weapon condition was that I would get really obsessive compulsive and want my weapon in top condition for every fight and it just drove me mad, and I'd go out of my way all the time to fix the weapon.
Yeah, that's why it becomes more work than fun. ...And, since you don't really need your weapon in top shape for every fight, the design team can save you from yourself. Generally speaking, I think the design team should at least hear what folks say about features, but a good designer does what's necessary to make the design better, not what player consensus dictates. Frankly, it's hard as hell to find player consensus and when we achieve that pinnacle of madness, sometimes our intentions have paved that famous pathway to hell.

I know the feeling, I can be a bit OCD when it comes to item conditions as well. The great thing about changing up things like item degradation is it can be a win-win, not only would it make the game less tedious for many gamers, it could also help combat things like savegame bloat and potential ctd's when looking at containers with huge numbers of items in them (containers in player homes come to mind).

Absolutely.

Damage types, i had forgotten about that. It would be a neat addition to bring back the old damage types and maybe some new ones like slashing/ piercing/ bashing damage.

On a different topic, how about some variety in unarmed attacks? Maybe start off with the standard punch and kick and unlock new ones as you increase your skill, like in fallout 2? It would make unarmed characters more interesting i think. And we'd get to see animated piercing kicks :lol:)

Melee definitely needs some love. Jabs, round-houses, uppercuts, piercing punches and kicks... all of it would be awesome, but perhaps hard to implement because of the animations they'd require. "slashing/ piercing/ bashing", sounds like somebodies been playing Fallen Earth :)

Edited by Mikhailian

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

they could keep the animation the same, it'd be lazy, but it would still add the mechanical depth thats missing. just put an icon on the screen so you know which attack you're using.

i'd rather that than nothing. i REALLY want the return of damage types and resistances, it would make picking your armor and weapon more interesting again.

The funny thing about melee is that in RT (non-VATS) combat it's insanely lethal. Armed with the Shiskabob, you can wipe out anything in the vanilla game quickly and easily, even playing on hard. You do take damage when closing, but once you get up on top of them, they just basically fall over and die. Only Bethemoths, and to a somewhat lesser extent deathclaws, require any sort of effort.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The funny thing about melee is that in RT (non-VATS) combat it's insanely lethal. Armed with the Shiskabob, you can wipe out anything in the vanilla game quickly and easily, even playing on hard. You do take damage when closing, but once you get up on top of them, they just basically fall over and die. Only Bethemoths, and to a somewhat lesser extent deathclaws, require any sort of effort.

Now if you add the stealth critical strike bonus, that's a whole 'nother story.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Now if you add the stealth critical strike bonus, that's a whole 'nother story.

\

Defintely. The Higher end weapons are pretty lethal with stealth kills. However, I've found that in RT combat they are not terribly reliable.

I don't know if there are some bugs going on but there have been plenty of times where a RT steakth shot from the Blackhawk or sniper rifles seems like it should have resulted in a critical but didn't.

Otoh, even with a low skill, hacking a super mutant master to death with the shiskabob only takes seconds and it always works.

Melee definitely needs some love. Jabs, round-houses, uppercuts, piercing punches and kicks... all of it would be awesome, but perhaps hard to implement because of the animations they'd require. "slashing/ piercing/ bashing", sounds like somebodies been playing Fallen Earth :)

Hehe no, i was playing Bloodlines at that moment actually, that 5year old game with 5 different unarmed and melee animations per player class :p

Is Fallen Earth any good?

Melee definitely needs some love. Jabs, round-houses, uppercuts, piercing punches and kicks... all of it would be awesome, but perhaps hard to implement because of the animations they'd require. "slashing/ piercing/ bashing", sounds like somebodies been playing Fallen Earth :ermm:

Hehe no, i was playing Bloodlines at that moment actually, that 5year old game with 5 different unarmed and melee animations per player class :p

Is Fallen Earth any good?

It's definitely oldschool, in both good and bad ways. It doesn't hold your hand with respecs and uberplayer builds, it's classless (like fallout), it's crafting heavy (and although the crafting is time-based, you can do anything you want while it's cooking), you get experience from pretty much everything, and the world is huge and seamless. You can literally travel all over the game world without ever seeing a loadscreen.

On the other hand, the fps combat is even clunkier than fallout, the enemies are tougher (I think that's a plus really), there's no real way to power level (again, I think that's a plus) and the real world system requirements can be a bit schizophrenic.

I was in the beta up until release, and managed to get a character up to lvl 43 before the wipe (45 is max).

I had fun, and the Old Timer's seemed to like it. Once they add another sector, I may come back.

• 4 weeks later...

No recent news? No early artwork you can share with us? With this game not even on the horizon and Alpha Protocol delayed until next summer, I'm bored out of my skull.

I really should get Borderlands. Or Divinity 2. Or even Dragon Age: Origins.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!