Favorite RTS and why do you like it

OK, Forces of Corruption (the EoW expansion, duh) is now my favorite game! Hey, um, where is a trustworthy site to get some mods, especially a level editor a la AoE?

Google.com :ermm:

Well, of course, but I mean really specific and virus-free.....

In this day and age you presume that most normal looking sites don't have viruses, use common sense and pack some anti-virus soft.

Total Annihilation, liked it for the large scale battles, the soundtrack, the resource system and the (at the time) neat way fighters and bombers actually flew - rather than hover and fire.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Actually, Warcraft 3, because I make stuff in it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Re-installed Europa Universalis III after getting In Nomine and Napoleon's Ambition. I always suspected I'd like teh game a lot more if my computer could handle it (isntead of waiting half an hour for the time to pass), so this should be good. I have no idea what the xpacks add, but they should be fun, too.

I have Rome as well but didn't really feel the period and teh decisions they made to suit the period were really good for the kind of game this is.

edit: Oh, yeah. Hard to pick a favourite... I spent the most time with Age of Kings, which was brilliant; Civilisation 4 would no doubt take the crown if the battles weren't STILL ridiculous (if less than 3), Europa Universalis II and Medieval: Total War (the original, before CA went nuts and decided to create legacies of game-breaking features that survive new iterations and even engine changes) are excellent as well.

I would say the Total War series, but for me it's not an RTS series - it's a strategic war game with episodic real-time combat Pedantic? Probably. Nonetheless, the brilliance of the series speaks for itself and I will leave it there and move onto other games.

The Command & Conquer duo of C&C1 and Red Alert are all-time classics and favourites of mine - wacky story, easy but well-implemented gameplay, a fun unit roster and eye-pleasing isometric graphics.

I'm tempted to put the Close Combat series in there (my favourite is the Eastern Front, closely followed by Battle of the Bulge) but seeing as the strategy element occurs off-screen (a tiny bit like MTW2) I think it also eliminates itself from the running. I'm still playing them in compatability mode and love them to bits.

Modded Blitzkreig (1 & 2) is a lot of fun with great graphics and that 'Wow, look at all my scale model panzers!' feel about it that appeals to most wargamers.

However, when I look back over the dozens of RTS games I've played over the years one that really stands out and should be considered for any hall of fame is the original Warcraft. Quite brilliant, and was flattered by literally dozens of imitations.

Most disappointing? The 3.5E Eberron RTS that was so awful that I can't even remember it's name.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Dune II, the first love you do never forget :sorcerer: even if Dawn of War II is great for the setting, the story, character development, no-costruction gameplay.

There was character development in DoW2? Other than adding little bars to their skills? I must have missed it, like all of it.

Well there is some, you learn a bit more about the Sergeants. It's not on an RPG level, obviously.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why did you play a 40k game if you think 40k is ridiculous, exactly ?

Ah I see, well good company loyalty I suppose. :)

OK, Forces of Corruption (the EoW expansion, duh) is now my favorite game! Hey, um, where is a trustworthy site to get some mods, especially a level editor a la AoE?

Google.com :p

Well, of course, but I mean really specific and virus-free.....

Use an anti-virus and some common-sense. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Ah I see, well good company loyalty I suppose. :thumbsup:

It has nothing to do with loyalty and everything to do with them making good games. I didn't get CoH:Tales of Valor, because it's supposed to be crap.

ToV was actually Ok, not great, but OK. I haven't tried the new multiplayer modes, but I was REALLY enjoying the new picked shots mechanic etc.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Starcraft 2. Ignore whatever the game turns out to be. Have you seen that editor('s videos and so on) ?

That piece of tool is going to be a nerdgasm :)

Wait sorry this was not the wishlist :thumbsup:!

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Oh yeah, that editor looks like an extremely powerful tool. I'm definately going to mess around with that. Gonna be one of millions who is going to try and learn the ropes by making an Aliens vs Predator or Starship Troopers game. :biggrin:

Anyway, I was gonna say StarCraft, but for all it's technical superiority I played and enjoyed much more WarCraft II.

Frag Colonial Marines buddy, It's colonial civilian rescue services turned into colonial militia turned into confederate outlaws turned into salvage outfit turned into a mercenary outfit or bust!

(Wanna help me with fleshing out a little story I am working on?)

Go and whimper in a corner Purk :lol:

Your AvP so called marines would paint their underwear brown at the sight of an ancient CMC 120 Power Armor and C-10 "Slasher" Gauss Rifle, let alone a modern front line equipment like CMC 425 or 660 series or those C-14 "Impaler" Gauss Rifles. (And lets not even go into those monster CMC 500 series and C2something heavy gauss rifles shall we?)

PS. wait a sec... how did you jump to that sucky movie of SST from colonial marines of AvP ffs?

Edited by cronicler

TrueNeutral suggested Starship Troopers.

Why the hell did you list some weird future weapons? Have you completely lost it?

My point was that if you have Aliens and Predators, you should have colonial marines not some crap from another movie.