Star Trek online

Purkake

So here's some gameplay footage from the Gamescom.

Looks like a pretty standard MMO fare to me, but I'm sure someone here will like it.

Ship models look nice. Not sure how they'll handle ground missions, though. Doesn't make much sense to have missions where there are 20 captains all running around with phasers, but I guess no one wants to play a redshirt in the end.

Matthew Rorie

I'm sure there are people who don't want to be the captain. Having some sort of collaborative ship experience would be much more interesting. It would be pretty cool if the captain had the outside view, managing stuff while the other crew members run around inside, fixing stuff and boosting shields etc.

Edited by Purkake

The space/ship stuff does indeed look nice....but the ground action doesn't appeal to me at first glance. There were Starfleet with phasers standing toe to toe with a Klingon using a melee weapon...they were shooting their phasers at him from about a foot away...and the Klingon didn't go down immediately. It looked silly plus will the ground action consist of everyone standing still shooting at each other?

I dunno...gameplay appeal hard to judge from that vid, I guess.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've said it before and I will say it again, Star Trek is not all about ship combat, many devs seem to think this, but it's not the case. Now I'm not saying I haven't enjoyed many ST games(Bridge Commander was the best IMO, Elite Force was good too), but I wish a dev would get a hold of it and make something besides ship battles.

It's a shame Bethesda has forgotten about the ST licence they have, hell I would love to play the Elder Scrolls: Star Trek. Because funnily enough, it would suit their open world/sandbox design.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I've said it before and I will say it again, Star Trek is not all about ship combat, many devs seem to think this, but it's not the case. Now I'm not saying I haven't enjoyed many ST games(Bridge Commander was the best IMO, Elite Force was good too), but I wish a dev would get a hold of it and make something besides ship battles.

It's a shame Bethesda has forgotten about the ST licence they have, hell I would love to play the Elder Scrolls: Star Trek. Because funnily enough, it would suit their open world/sandbox design.

Maybe Obsidian could hit up Bethesda with a Star Trek RPG!

Space combat looked very cool, imho. I also like the amount of different races you can play, and that you can create your own race.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Hmm, was that a Borg sphere right there at the end?

Yea that looked like one of them to me too.

Well who else are they going to use?

Romulans: Dead

Dominion: Dead

Cardassians: Dying

Klingons: Defanged

you can create your own race.

:) Nail in coffin.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Beth distributed those games, not developed them.

Beth distributed those games, not developed them.

Did I say they had?

Beth aquired the license, published 4 crap games then left the license alone. Just because they didn't develop it, doesn't mean they shouldn't take flak for poor releases, you know like every other publisher.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Publisher's are only blamed when games are rushed. Those ST games seemed to be crap through and through.

Bethesda has stated before that they aren't going to try developing games too far out of their realm. That's why I'm not worried about the next Doom turning into Oblivion with imps...er...BFG's.

Bethesda has stated before that they aren't going to try developing games too far out of their realm.

*cough* Fallout *cough*

Yeah, they really screwed that one up, getting rave reviews and pulling in tons of cash. The horror!

Bethesda has stated before that they aren't going to try developing games too far out of their realm.

*cough* Fallout *cough*

Yeah, they really screwed that one up, getting rave reviews and pulling in tons of cash. The horror!

Oblivion got rave reviews and tons of cash.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

*cough* Fallout *cough*

Oblivion got rave reviews and tons of cash.

Yes it did. You see, the reality is that Oblivion and Fallout are good games. They might not be your cup of tea, but they have a large audience that knows what to expect out of a Bethesda title and that is delivered to them.

Personally, I found Oblivion to be uninspired, but it was still playable and gave me a few decent hours of entertainment. But that is my personal opinion, and it is healthy to be able to separate my opinion from the reality of a situation. For example, I don't enjoy going to see Operas, but I'm not going to call Les Miserable terrible. They just aren't my thing.

Were these guys unaware of Ellison's current suit against Paramount when they put the Guardian of Forever in this game? It was reported that the Guardian would be the time-travel device in Abrams' Star Trek until Ellison threatened to sue them, too.

hmmm atlast someone planned a star trek game that might actually not suck.

to bad its a online game, just be cranking out expansions for 5 years just to keep it running.

Star Trek to boldly go where know one has gone before.

This is the star ship(" insert your ship's name here"), its 5 year mission....

hahaha

anyway I wish them well and success

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome