What you did today

Darque

...so I bought a Radeon HD4850 at Best Buy to replace it. So far it seems like a very good card, and the price was under $200.

It is an excellent card. BUT (isn't there always one?), you should have gotten the 4770 instead.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4770-review/

Same performance, draws less power and costs half as much. Although the price might not be half since the 4770 is supposed to retail for $99 and the 4850 is supposed to be more expensive. In the real world they're practically the same price.

The 4770 is a damn good card, but availability is still not what it could be. I've yet to be able to find one at a big box store and at least half of the listings online here in Canada are out of stock the last time I checked. Considering he went to Best Buy I'd consider him lucky to have found a 4850. My local Future Shop doesn't have anything faster than a 4650. ;)

A friend of mine is running for Congress back in Florida. I spoke to him for an hour and a half last night. As much as I was glad to hear from him it brought back som pretty bad memories too. But it does make me think of how life would have turned out if I had just done a few things differently.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Finished the first two days of school. I had this idea to greet each student as they came in the door this year in an effort to learn names faster. The first thing I learned is that only about 1 in 10 middle schoolers know how to give a firm handshake.

This is a pretty good idea. Learning to shake someones hand and look them in the eye is an important skill to learn. And if they can do it it goes a long was to establishing a kids self confidence.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

At the moment I'm stuck on the runway in Philadelphia int' airport due to a reroute mid-flight that occured with quite a few other flights that were en route somewhere in rhe new england area. Plane traffic is lol

But it does make me think of how life would have turned out if I had just done a few things differently.

yeah, but being a hired political assassin doesn't really work out in the long run, IMO, so be thankful you chose another path.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

i won't buy anything major from best buy. i did buy some laptop mammaries once, and i don't mind spending money on a hard drive there, particularly the externals (like the seagate pro backup drive i had at the office).

taks

interesting, isn't it, that you can actually assemble your own rig for under $1000 and get something rather nice. my first PC was a mid-level thing that cost almost $3000 in 1993 (maybe 1994). i bought it after i moved back down to UMR to get serious about my thesis.

taks

interesting, isn't it, that you can actually assemble your own rig for under $1000 and get something rather nice. my first PC was a mid-level thing that cost almost $3000 in 1993 (maybe 1994). i bought it after i moved back down to UMR to get serious about my thesis.

taks

Oh, definitely under $1000 USD. Especially if you already have a nice monitor to use.

Especially if you already have a nice monitor to use.

among other things. case, sound card, speakers, etc., are all reusable parts along with a monitor and sometimes even a power supply. most of these only need to be upgraded once every 3 or 4 builds depending upon how long you go between builds.

taks

After a bit of research I think I've come to a decision on which PSU will replace my current 550w. (link.) It's cheap but I'm on a tight budget atm and I want to get this back running before school starts.

Surprised it lasted since I purchased it in January, wouldn't of known that it wasn't enough if my video card didn't suddenly start running at 70

Edited by Syraxis

I know I'm annoying when it comes to computer parts, but may I humbly suggest this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139006

Same price (with mail-in rebate) and 100W less. 850W is a bit overkill, unless you have the very high end GPU's.. in SLI/Crossfire or triple-SLI.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

taks

It's very nice and usually what I do...I may splurge this time tho. Need a rig that'll run all the new games w/all the whistles turned on, in 1920 res. without a twitch. For once in my pc life, I don't want "ok", I want "awesome." :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I know I'm annoying when it comes to computer parts, but may I humbly suggest this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139006

Same price (with mail-in rebate) and 100W less. 850W is a bit overkill, unless you have the very high end GPU's.. in SLI/Crossfire or triple-SLI.

I'm going with your suggestion :lol:

850w probably is an overkill for a single 9800GT 512mb now that I think about it (my motherboard only has a single PCI-E slot so SLI is a no-go.) I wanted to get the 850w in preparation for upgrades to the motherboard and video card that would occur in the near-future but judging by how my semester looks, those upgrades might not happen as soon as I'd like. Also fits reasonably well with my tight budget.

Thanks for referring this to me :lol:

I heard that ILM had switched from their proprietary compositor to Nuke, and I got curious, so I thought Id try it out.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Situation nosedived as of Saturday. Expect the old parent to die soon. At least, we hope so, since she's in a lot of pain.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I played a lot of farmville yesterday afternoon and evening. They had a special event that let me plant superberries. I had almost 900million coins before I bought a greenhouse and a farmhouse. I get such joy from my little farm. happy happy joy joy

Sorry about the AP, bro. I guess that was an inappropriate place to sing a happy tune. :lol:

Edited by Aristes

I played a lot of farmville yesterday afternoon and evening. They had a special event that let me plant superberries. I had almost 900million coins before I bought a greenhouse and a farmhouse. I get such joy from my little farm. happy happy joy joy

Sorry about the AP, bro. I guess that was an inappropriate place to sing a happy tune. :lol:

No worries, man. She'd want you to, if she were well. :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Read a news story that talked about an article in a medical journal about the appendix.

Turns out that sucker is actually housing for good bacteria who are supposed to repopulate our intestines after we've had a bad case of the runs. The reason appendicitis happens is because we don't have that occurrence and thus the bacteria just builds up and builds up until *pop*.

I thought it was interesting >_>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200908...infactpromising

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Read a news story that talked about an article in a medical journal about the appendix.

Turns out that sucker is actually housing for good bacteria who are supposed to repopulate our intestines after we've had a bad case of the runs. The reason appendicitis happens is because we don't have that occurrence and thus the bacteria just builds up and builds up until *pop*.

I thought it was interesting >_>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200908...infactpromising

So you're saying my regular transformations into major bloodnok are vital and necessary? Awesome.

Mom died this evening. Right now I'm just happy she's no-longer suffering.

-Elwood Blues

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee

Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,

For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,

Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,

Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,

And soonest our best men with thee doe goe,

Rest of their bones, and soules deliverie.

Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings, and desperate men,

And dost with poyson, warre, and sicknesse dwell,

And poppie, or charmes can make us sleepe as well,

And better then thy stroake; why swell'st thou then;

One short sleepe past, wee wake eternally,

And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die. Donne