New Mass Effect 2 character

Purkake

That is definitely how it should have been in the first game.

Personally, I think it

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Wasn't that fairly common until recently? In BGII, if you take the evil people (Edwin, Korgan) they got pissy when you did good things (raised rep) and left if it got too high for too long, and vice versa with the good people.
They're talking about personalities while fighting, not C&C.

Isn't everything new just something old put into a new shiny box?
Nope.

Fallout 2's personalities were done simply by what types of tactics were available to them though, right?

I would reverse that and say that the combacy tactics were dictated by personailty type.

Myron the wimpy scientist had distinctly different settable combat options, mostly variations of "Piss trousers and run", from Sulik.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Fallout 2's personalities were done simply by what types of tactics were available to them though, right?

I would reverse that and say that the combacy tactics were dictated by personailty type.

Myron the wimpy scientist had distinctly different settable combat options, mostly variations of "Piss trousers and run", from Sulik.

My statement was more along the lines of, the combat personalities were dictated by the options you set in their tactics and whatnot.

That is, if you could set Vic and Cassidy to the same thing, they'd behave identically in combat, despite personality differences.

We're both just saying the same thing.

Wait, the companions in Fallout 2 actually did something based on what tactics you gave them?

I never experienced that. Seemed like regardless of what I requested of them, they were mostly there to accidentally shoot me, get accidentally shot by me, or to inexplicably use the melee weapon in combat instead of the gun I gave them despite me telling them to equip and use it, setting up a scenario where they'd rush in get shot to death by everybody in the firefight.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Burst or not, distance from you/enemies, chem use, who to target, weapon usage (melee only, melee then ranged, ranged then melee, ranged only) could be set.

The problem was, "make absolutely sure you don't hit me" only applied to you, not the every party member. :(

DP

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

argh.

Edited by Slowtrain

My statement was more along the lines of, the combat personalities were dictated by the options you set in their tactics and whatnot.

That is, if you could set Vic and Cassidy to the same thing, they'd behave identically in combat, despite personality differences.

We're both just saying the same thing.

Gotcha. And yeah, that would probably be true, though there was quite a bit of variation, on what options were available for each player character and also how effecdtive they were within those parameters. You could set both Cassidy and Myron to some sort of similar attack from range thing but Cassidy would blow the crap out of people while Myron was still pretty useless.

OH YEAH SHE'S HARDCORE. **** YEAH BADASS PUNK BITCH WOOT.

I think that put me off playing the game.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"