MMOs

Purkake

Yeah, I guess I wouldn't really call the RPG genre weak. It has been a pretty good couple years and it seems to be getting better. There is a focus on making console friendly games, which I know bothers quite a few people, but as long as they are good I don't care what system they are on.

How come no one argues that MMO's are killing the RTS genre? Warcraft wasn't ever an RPG.

He (Bos) does have a point though. Its not selling as well as some other genres - but it was always and exclusive thing, too complicated for the average gamer. Its also probably more difficult to code, design and requires more money than an FPS or an RTS.

Still 99-02 there were at least double cRPGs made a year, then whats made today.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Well FO3 sold 8 million.

How many of them on PC?

Selling a million units is VERY good, especially on the PC.

Mass Effect is Bioware's best selling game and sold pretty well, which is why they are cranking out Mass Effect 2 and eventually Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect sold one million units within the first three weeks.

ME has sold in total 2.2 million on the 360, I don't think it even made 500,000 on PC. While there is a chance to sell on the PC(Just look at the Sims 3 already sold 3.7 million) it's not as consistant as it is on consoles. DA will be the best test, there are no excuses for it not to sell better on PC.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Well FO3 sold 8 million.

How many of them on PC?

Selling a million units is VERY good, especially on the PC.

Mass Effect is Bioware's best selling game and sold pretty well, which is why they are cranking out Mass Effect 2 and eventually Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect sold one million units within the first three weeks.

ME has sold in total 2.2 million on the 360, I don't think it even made 500,000 on PC. While there is a chance to sell on the PC(Just look at the Sims 3 already sold 3.7 million) it's not as consistant as it is on consoles. DA will be the best test, there are no excuses for it not to sell better on PC.

Out of the 8 million FO3 sales, I believe 1.3M was on the PC.

Console games sell more units than PC games, that has been the case for a while now. The only exceptions are Blizzard games, the Sims and some Valve games.

Hardly surprising given that many people have both platforms and just bought the game when it came out on the 360 , long before the PC port.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Out of the 8 million FO3 sales, I believe 1.3M was on the PC.

So thats what 15-20% os sale were on PC. Not that great.

Hardly surprising given that many people have both platforms and just bought the game when it came out on the 360 , long before the PC port.

I know, I was one of them. >_<

Hell it was the main reason I bought one.

Console games sell more units than PC games, that has been the case for a while now. .

Then PC gamers shouldn't be surprised why so many dev go multi and/or completely ignore PC.

The only exceptions are Blizzard games, the Sims and some Valve games

Really those games are a anomaly. Best not to try and understand.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

What's your point Bos_hybrid? We all know that pc games don't sell too well these days and that's why more and more developers are making console games. The same goes for RPGs.

This thread is about MMOs, not PC game sales.

My point was that MMO's aren't the real reason for SPRPG releases becoming more sporadic. But went off topic, hey it happens. >_<

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

to the china wow censorship thing

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=85420.0

that's got the changes that were implimented for the censors. In terms of inventory items. One thing China is having to deal with is that WoW has become something of an industry over there. There are several companies dedicated to the farming and selling of gold, which turns out to be more lucrative than farming.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

WoW and Blizzard deserve all the success they got.

Don't put too much trust in SirBruce's numbers (MMOGchart). Some argue that they are better then nothing (as not all companies are publically traded and thus not forced to publish accurate active subscription numbers) but they can be very inaccurate. Numbers taken out of publically traded companies press releases are usually correct.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

What's your point Bos_hybrid? We all know that pc games don't sell too well these days and that's why more and more developers are making console games. The same goes for RPGs.

I guess that's why PC games have been a consistent growth industry for almost their entire existence (especially the past few years), right? Because they don't sell too well these days?

Damn I'm sick of the misinformation surrounding the PC game industry. It's not a ****ing zero-sum game because not only are the Western markets (Canada, America, Western Europe, Australia, etc) not saturated yet, but you've got the developing countries (Brazil, Poland, Russia, etc) all getting into video games at roughly the same time and they are definitely not choosing consoles.

the biggest reason you see more console games advertised is because it takes less money to get the system, and because most PC games are ports and/or using the internet for their primary marketing campaigns. Because most PC games WILL have an internet connection on their system that they game on.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

What's wrong with bones?

I totally don't get it.

A wild guess is that it has something to do with chinese traditional religions. Its probably disrespectful from some standpoint.

That would be the only thing that makes any sort of sense.

I don't think that making a company cover up bones for an all-ages game is any different than making them cover up nipples for an all-ages game. Different socities have different notions of acceptable.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

What's wrong with bones?

I totally don't get it.

A wild guess is that it has something to do with chinese traditional religions. Its probably disrespectful from some standpoint.

That would be the only thing that makes any sort of sense.

I don't think that making a company cover up bones for an all-ages game is any different than making them cover up nipples for an all-ages game. Different socities have different notions of acceptable.

this...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I guess that's why PC games have been a consistent growth industry for almost their entire existence (especially the past few years), right? Because they don't sell too well these days?

Damn I'm sick of the misinformation surrounding the PC game industry. It's not a ****ing zero-sum game because not only are the Western markets (Canada, America, Western Europe, Australia, etc) not saturated yet, but you've got the developing countries (Brazil, Poland, Russia, etc) all getting into video games at roughly the same time and they are definitely not choosing consoles.

I was just trying to avoid 3 pages of dead horse beating. Console games sell better than PC games, PC games are still profitable. This is not what the thread is about.

Anyway, does anyone care about FFXIV?

Edited by Purkake

No!

Also, my Dranei Paladin hit level 72 last night. I switched out my cobalt armor for spiked cobalt armor, thinking that the boost to crit and hit would be worth the drop in stamina. What was I thinking?! Even with the boost in armor, I am now squishier. I was tanking with a level 70 rogue, and as soon as I switched out, I started hemorrhaging. Even he noticed I was losing HP much faster.

At the same time, my DPS went up by 75.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Anyway, does anyone care about FFXIV?

I find it fairly interesting. The original FF Online (stupid numbering systems) was fantastic. It had some things I didn't like, but the look and feel of the game were top notch.

It's not a game I will buy at release, but I'll probably give it a whirl some day when I'm in a dry spell.

Will it become THE console MMO?

Also, will the PC and PS3 players play together on the same server?

yes

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours