I'm not sure I like "The Espionage RPG" either. I'd prefer losing the "the", or going with "A Espionage RPG." Nah that would be bad as well.

I can't really offer anything better, but I dunno, just sort of rubs me the wrong way somehow.

But Obsidian doesn't try to pull a Hollywood crapfest on us, do they? Why ccan't they just depict the story from a real, professional perspective? Oh, I know.... That's because the kids aren't interested in.

With good reason. Real CIA agents don't really directly deal with world events or personalities, they just... live in a foreign country and chat with / pay informants, who in 999 of 1000 cases have nothing really spectacular to report. Most of them are accountant-types. A realistic espionage story would be terribly unexciting because espionage is pretty boring because international politics is pretty boring. If that interests you, just mod the Sims. You'll get much closer to reality than any strategy / action game ever will.

Edited by Pop

With good reason. Real CIA agents don't really directly deal with world events or personalities, they just... live in a foreign country and chat with / pay informants, who in 999 of 1000 cases have nothing really spectacular to report. Most of them are accountant-types. A realistic espionage story would be terribly unexciting because espionage is pretty boring because international politics is pretty boring. If that interests you, just mod the Sims. You'll get much closer to reality than any strategy / action game ever will.

True. I remember reading somewhere at work that CIA was one of the chief rivals of the agency I work at in terms of attracting qualified, promising entry-level employees. With a limited number of exceptions, the people who work at my agency are desk jockeys who are valued for their writing, analysis, and similar boring old white-collar office skills. And a frightening number of them are in fact accountants.

Is it just me, or is both the "official" art and Morgoth's much too tame? If you're going to do the "t3h h4wt s3cks" gambit, then Sie should be centre-stage and more... strutting. Like the Red Alert 3 cover.

That said, the covers of the best-selling PC games are pretty diverse - the covers of Cossacks and Counter-Strike are pretty awful, for example. And the covers of Diablo II and NWN, to take two examples, are hardly bright. IMO, in a world of oversaturated advertising, low-key stands out.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

It's certainly turned into one. The cover needs to be cool, like the Kotor 2 cover, that one really stood out. This one will get drowned in a sea of 100 other generic box covers.

I'd say Morgoth's is pretty generic too.

Just back to the spy issue of real-world versus Hollywood world, give me a spy game based on Bourne any day of the week, over a RPG based on a semi-real spy situation.

If you want you want a sort-of real-world spy simulator game that is fun, you'll have to go back to the early '90s (or eBay) and play Floor 13. I played it a couple of years ago... damn hard game, but pretty fun.

Still ya, when I first 'spy RPG', I thought James Bond and Clive Cussler thrillers. Give me dual wielding SMGs and eye-patches over satellite cave-watching and Internet eavesdropping any day of the week.

As for the box, I think it is a bit too plain (just IMHO.) I would go with the standard spy genre stuff on the cover, like a bomb timer ticking down in one corner, a hot chick with a big gun and not many clothes, someone punching someone in the face, and maybe a zip-line running from corner to corner :lol: Sure that all might sound generic and typical -- but that's how I like my spy stuff :lol:

Edited by kreese12

This game needs more sex, gore and marylin Manson music on the cover.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I've temporarily stepped down from my Obsidian CEO role to supervise the boxart revision.

pic.jpg

Reminds me of

a: the Dante avatar I used before this

b: El Mariachi

c: a really bad Drizzt parody

but yeah, I like it too.

c: a really bad Drizzt parody

:p:banghead::lol::) That's friggin' hilarious but oddly accurate...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Explosions and exposed (at least partially) breasts are a recipe for success across the widest variety of life's everyday circumstances.

Except in the kitchen, that could be a big mess.

so true.

only problem is i can imagine people holding guns while explosions and a half naked woman runs across my kitchen...

;)

Explosions and exposed (at least partially) breasts are a recipe for success across the widest variety of life's everyday circumstances.

Except in the kitchen, that could be a big mess.

so true.

only problem is i can imagine people holding guns while explosions and a half naked woman runs across my kitchen...

;)

Or a breast cake, modeled after your girlfriend's.

Wait, that has no explosion...umm..the oven blows up!

Food for thought...

I wonder if Morgoths cover doesn't capture the "essence" of the game better than the official box art :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Looks like the Bourne is there (colour scheme), the Bauer is there (the guns), the Bond is somewhat absent but could be represented by the globe, and the guy being in shadows does kind of give off the right espionage vibe. Gets the job done, and doesn't look bad... So I guess I like it! ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif