Dragon Age

Gorth

"Guess the Bioware guys are already getting skittish"

Eh? Those banning shad nothing to do with the games. BIO is well known for punishing troublemakers who spam needless things (like those series of pics) quickly. Not the way I'd do things (i'm all about the freedomz); but not my boards. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm officially in the endgame.

Some interesting choices and ways things can work out for a variety of situations :)

The last thing anyone should be worried about in a Bioware game is the ending/endgame. Mass Effect's ending was the best part of the game and really epic, for example.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Some interesting choices and ways things can work out for a variety of situations :)

Okay, interrogation skill check, DC 15:

Is Loghain badass?

I like him! I think he's pretty well written actually.

Are you sure you're being vague enough? I'm almost making out that it's gonna be an RPG. :)

:)

Though I'm now playing the game on my "own time" now. Now that I am familiar with the game they're having me do more focused testing and whatnot.

In start contrast to the negativity on this board about everything Bio or Bethesda, I am truly looking forward to Dragon Age. My only concern at the moment is whether or not my machine will be able to handle it without a processor upgrade. I think it's going to be a terrific game, and I fully expect to play it repeatedly for the next few years, just as I repeatedly play all the games I genuinely enjoy.

And if I am by any chance disappointed in it, I'll give it the courtesy of actually, you know, playing the game before I make that pronouncement. :)

alanschu, thanks for your updates (vague as they must be, of course) and comments. I've enjoyed them.

In start contrast to the negativity on this board about everything Bio or Bethesda, I am truly looking forward to Dragon Age. My only concern at the moment is whether or not my machine will be able to handle it without a processor upgrade. I think it's going to be a terrific game, and I fully expect to play it repeatedly for the next few years, just as I repeatedly play all the games I genuinely enjoy.

And if I am by any chance disappointed in it, I'll give it the courtesy of actually, you know, playing the game before I make that pronouncement. :)

alanschu, thanks for your updates (vague as they must be, of course) and comments. I've enjoyed them.

Switching processors is fun, who doesn't like to much around with thermal paste?

I find the best strategy is to go in with low/no expectations so that if it's good it'll surprise you and if not, no disappointment.

@Alanschu: What's the spell selection like? Are there spell levels like in BG/NWN? How many spells per level?

Does it mean that, as usual for BioWare, all choices that actually matter are crammed into the endgame, and you can simply save the game right before the location that screams "CAUTION: PLOT FORKS UP AHEAD!", then use this save to see all endings without having to work for the entire game to get them? :grin:

20795.jpg

Actually, that's not the case for Mass Effect...

I didn't have the willpower to finish Mass Effect, but I checked the walkthrough, and it seems that the only choice that defines the ending (the order you give to the Alliance fleet) is made shortly before you fight Saren.

20795.jpg

Don't you mean "as usual for pretty much every game dev?"

Nope. There are only two more big-name western RPG developers now: Obsidian and Bethesda. Both used a Fallout-style slideshow in their latest games, and they felt much more satisfying to watch than Bio's epic ending cutscenes.

Though realistically, expecting much more than say a Fallout style synopsis in games is going to be asking a lot with respect to plot forks. Creating loads of extra content that can really run the risk of running out of control due to branching is always going to be a risky venture.

A Fallout-esque slideshow is fine, IMO. Creating one doesn't require too much time and resources (2-5 slides per major location/character, plus narration), but the pay-off is great. It's always nice to hear the game referencing all your past decisions, not just the way you chose to handle the big bad.

Now something along the lines of Vampire: Bloodlines that has some subtle differences in the end is more plausible, but certainly not something I could dream of commenting on after a single playthrough of the game. Even then, there was still a "PLOT FORK AHEAD" warning in that one. They were just a bit more creative about it in that the way the plot forks is not always the same.

Not so. All four "faction" endings have requirements:

LaCroix - doing all sidequests he sent you by e-mail, not going on shooting sprees when he specifically asks you not to, occasionally flattering him

Camarilla - handling the plague and the gargoyle, not leaking Strauss' secret to the Anarchs, knowing that Strauss doesn't like LaCroix

The Anarchs - agreeing to spy on LaCroix when Damsel asks you

Ming-Xiao - nodding to all bull**** she says

If you were acting like an **** for the entire game the only ending you could get was going rogue. Miles ahead of what Bio usually does.

20795.jpg

Why would someone show me a slide show at the end of the game? That makes no sense. Same as telling me what happens to everyone afterwards, I hate that.

Have you seen the Mask of the Betrayer ending? Especially the evil evil version? It's pretty awesome.

Money is too tight to get a new copy at the moment.

I was more just lamenting the fact that my MOTB disappeared sometime (I think when I moved). Hopefully it turns up. In hindsight I should have bought a DD version.

Hi all ;)

Personally, I can't see any problems in the pictures of Ray being posted on the Bioware site. However, from a certain pointy of view, someone might see this as being a bit too interested in him...to the point of harassment.... And posting pictures of Ray in a thread about another subject is definetely spam.

And Maria (if you can) why were you banned? and it is for life or is just a cool down period?

Edited by aries101

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/