SC: Conviction Lives

I guess we'll have to see. I'm just bored/annoyed with the angry guy stereotype. If it's there just to get the story going again, it's fine.

I think it annoys me because there are quite a few characters who lose any kind of rational thinking and only do crazy stuff because they are really really angry. Can't you have a game where the angry dude just lets it go without killing a million people? Revenge won't bring his daughter back or even give him any real closure...

Who wants to play a game where they decide to avoid all the conflict?

What are these games that feature a protagonist that kills a million people just because he's angry?

God of War and Max Payne to name a few.

Who wants to play a game where they decide to avoid all the conflict?

If the conflict is manufactured just to get on with the killing, it's not a good conflict. I'm not saying that I want games where the protagonist cries for a week and then goes on with his boring life. It would just be interesting to someone accept the loss without violently lashing out with petty spite.

Edited by Purkake

I guess we'll have to see. I'm just bored/annoyed with the angry guy stereotype. If it's there just to get the story going again, it's fine.

It would instead be better to use another stereotype?

Because, let's be honest, that's where the writers of the SC franchise are at.

It would instead be better to use another stereotype?

Because, let's be honest, that's where the writers of the SC franchise are at.

A less used stereotype would be better than an overused one. Just doing missions without any personal story was totally ok in my book.

Just doing missions without any personal story was totally ok in my book.

Geez, that's what they've been doing for four games already. You have an irrational dislike for characters displaying anger, but it's hardly an overused stereotype, especially in this franchise. Pointing to games like God of War and Max Payne and claiming the protagonists kill loads of people just because they are angry is a ridiculous simplification of the story lines and characters in such games.

If the conflict is manufactured just to get on with the killing, it's not a good conflict.

In what way is the conflict in Max Payne, for example, "manufactured"? That is, any more than any other game that features the player killing countless enemies?

Edited by Hell Kitty

So is there any sort of gameplay / in-game footage around except for HK's youtube link (now defunct)?

I never got into these games (I was horrible at them) but could always see the appeal, really enjoyed what little of Chaos Theory I got to play.

I don't know if it'd be interesting to have a character lose someone and not have it be an impact as they just move on. It'd just be something that happened during the course of the game, and because it ultimately had no impact on anything, possibly forgettable.

So is there any sort of gameplay / in-game footage around except for HK's youtube link (now defunct)?

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/sc-...gameplay/319592

I don't know if it'd be interesting to have a character lose someone and not have it be an impact as they just move on. It'd just be something that happened during the course of the game, and because it ultimately had no impact on anything, possibly forgettable.

If a character just "gets over" the death of a loved one, and it doesn't actually impact the story and the character, then there's really no point in including that death.

Edited by Hell Kitty

I've always enjoyed the Splinter Cell games. The stories were interesting, the production value high, and the gameplay consistently good. I played the first three on my X-Box, but not Double Agent. They managed to catch my attention when Thief and Dues Ex were the only examples of stealth-based gameplay.

As for character death and its impact: The death of loved ones is a popular trope, and its mere existence isn

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Thanks HK. That looks pretty awesome - great art direction, good atmosphere, useful action maneuvres. AI doesn't look too smart there, but it's not conclusive.

I've always enjoyed the Splinter Cell games. The stories were interesting, the production value high, and the gameplay consistently good. I played the first three on my X-Box, but not Double Agent. They managed to catch my attention when Thief and Dues Ex were the only examples of stealth-based gameplay.

As for character death and its impact: The death of loved ones is a popular trope, and its mere existence isn

I tired playing a splinter cell game, but I could never get used to the controls. Also everything seemed a little too trial and error with very limited ways of getting through a level.

It's obviously early to tell, though personally I think Conviction looks like a Splinter Cell game for people who don't like Splinter Cell games.

That was... pretty intense actually. It looks damn awesome.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 3 months later...

this is the first splinter cell game that actually looks like fun to me. i always thought that a mix between splinter cell and metal gear solid would be a great game. this looks kinda close.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
It looks good to me, much better than the hobo chair-hurling Sam Fisher we saw a few years ago.

Hey, I liked that version!

The latest incarnation looks awesome (and almost guaranteed to actually release), though I feel they may have missed out on some gameplay opportunities by trying to appease SC fans.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all the SC games up to this point, but the franchise has been ready for a change since Chaos Theory. Also, I find SC's fanbase to be some of the most dogmatic, particular, and inflexible people online. They'll argue for the oddest reasons how Double Agent was an irredeemable piece of crap despite its delivery of a competent linear sneaking experience using mechanics largely identical to the first game (and the second game, and the third game). I often find myself wondering how I like the same franchise as these people.

Double Agent was an irredeemable piece of crap despite its delivery of a competent linear sneaking experience using mechanics largely identical to the first game (and the second game, and the third game). I often find myself wondering how I like the same franchise as these people.

Double Agent's biggest failing was the silly overhaul of their stealth system. The sound and visual system of Chaos Theory was great, and for Double Agent we were treated to a simple color coding of green, yellow, and red. And a lack of co-op.

I enjoyed Double Agent, but I consider it a large step down from Chaos Theory. Until then, every game was an improvement over the last one.

And Chaos Theory was a bit TOO open and forgiving. As a Thief veteran, it was ridiculously easy compared to the puzzle-like predecessors. I just knocked out everyone and kept whistling.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 6 months later...

IGN gave 93% :lol:

I checked the review from youtube and Sam moves like the Predator. They've thrown the old style stealth gaming into trashcan and went with superhero physics. I guess moving slow just ain't option anymore :lol:

I think I should be happy for the Ubi's new "always online" copy protection system because without it, I probably would have pre-ordered the game. Game is said to be only 5 hours long and there's just no way I'm going to pay full price. I'll wait for Steam holiday sales (if they patch the copy protection system out).

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.