Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

@ CrashGirl: Hey, we can agree to disagree. Atleast you come back with decent arguments and points instead of ignoring me like some sort of >_< for defending Fallout 3. :verymad:

@ Aram: I didn't really mind the Harold quest. You're pretty much told what the outcome will be many years before that outcome comes to pass. I chose not to kill him and managed to convince him to appreciate the company he kept and his role. I found it satisfying but I can see your point.

And they explained that by making some bull**** point about him being selfish cause he wanted to die. Wow, really deep. Totally not robbing the player of any experience.

I feel sorry for Obsidian. No matter what they do, unless they completely convert the F3 engine to emulate the original isometric turn based originals purists will probably gripe about it as much as F3. Or not. >_<

man. you know there's not a single poster on any site i'm familiar with who fits into this strawman category. in fact...if the people who keep saying this weren't so busy defending the game with their arms flailing they'd have the time to actually read the problems many individuals have with the game. SPECIAL, dialogue, C&C. fix these. hasn't a damn thing to do with cloning the original games.

Since the topic is on weapons, what did everyone think of F3's 'Fatman'?

idiotic, childish, and aimed at 'sploshun-happy kids at best. 200 years after "the bomb" and people are shooting mini-nukes at each other? great. good one Todd. "violence is ****in' funny!" yeah. good one, Todd.

I know what the problems are. The difference is I was able to look past them and find an enjoyable game. If Obsidian wants to build on/fix any of the problems thats fantastic! Just means an already awesome game for me will get an even more awesome sequel (err spinoff?).

The reason I 'flail my arms' like the idiotic spaz you must have me pegged for is because from your posts (the ones I have seen anyway) you seem to hate every... little... tiny... particle of the game. That comes off as someone who was planning on hating the game from the start. You couldn't even respond to points about choice... brushing me off like some snooty uppity dealing with a beggar. So... yeah, you certainly seemed to fit into a category. I also suppose you didn't notice all of my posts complaining about various aspects of the game while defending others? :verymad:

idiotic, childish, and aimed at 'sploshun-happy kids at best. 200 years after "the bomb" and people are shooting mini-nukes at each other? great. good one Todd. "violence is ****in' funny!" yeah. good one, Todd.

da fug? It's just a bigger rocket launcher.

Should have just called it the Extra Large Bomb Hurler and avoided 90% of the contraversy.

By the way, neat trick. Get the Experimental Mini-Nuke, download the mod that lets you keep the death cam on, jump and fire at your feet. Enjoy flying across the wasteland at 800 feet. :verymad:

Mostly, I just can't stand how Bethesda has come to interpret the crpg genre. They haven't made a good game since Daggerfall. IMO.

Yes. WE KNOW. You've written this a BILLION times. How many more times do you think it's necessary to write this? In the same ****ing thread, nonetheless?

Hey, how about you tell us how crappy the guns are in Fallout 3?

Have you mentioned how crappy the writing is in Fallout 3 yet today? If it's in less than three posts, it doesn't count!

Oh, and that joke about putting [intelligence] in front of made up stuff never gets old, does it?

You're all like [bleeping] sheep.

Edited by SteveThaiBinh to sound a bit less rude.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I really think bethesda has misinterpreted the cRPG genre.

Also, fallout 3 has bad guns, and the dialogue and writing are very poorly done.

[intelligence] So you're saying we're all like )&%W()% sheep?

Fallout 1 and 2's gameplay was slow and ponderous. It was no real challenge. Fallout 3's real time gameplay, even with VATS, is far more challenging than what Fallout 1 and 2 offered.

Great! Then don't buy the Fallout brand name and call it Fallout!

Fallout 1 and 2 were slow and ponderous but guess what I liked them and a lot of other people liked them because I, and others, appreciate slowness and pondering.

Yes, I'm aware things have to "move forward". I'm not expecting 256 color sprites here. Look at Dragon Age, they're more or less making a game that plays extremely similarly to Baldur's Gate but updating the look and the feel for the HD, high-budget generation.

Hell, look at Diablo 3. Barely changed at all gameplay-wise AND exclusive to the PC. You think that's not going to sell?

My point is, if Bethesda wanted to make another Elder Scrolls game, why didn't they? Why'd they have to dig up a beloved franchise, completely change it to fit the mould of an Elder Scrolls game, and try to pretend like nothing happened? Of course the fans will get mad, that's like... like releasing a new Pink Panther movie with Steve Martin in it instead of Peter Sellers! I mean, yeah, Peter Sellers is dead and Steve Martin is the only chance we ever have of more seeing Pink Panther movies. And sure, Steve Martin USED to be a talented develop-- I mean, comedian, but is the lack of respect for a legend like Blac--Peter Sellers and watching the Pink Panther franchise slowly wither and die in mediocrity really worth it just to see a brand name again?

Mostly, I just can't stand how Bethesda has come to interpret the crpg genre. They haven't made a good game since Daggerfall. IMO.

Yes. WE KNOW. You've written this a BILLION times. How many more times do you think it's necessary to write this? In the same ****ing thread, nonetheless?

Hey, how about you tell us how crappy the guns are in Fallout 3?

Have you mentioned how crappy the writing is in Fallout 3 yet today? If it's in less than three posts, it doesn't count!

Oh, and that joke about putting [intelligence] in front of made up stuff never gets old, does it?

You're all like [bleeping] sheep.

You have a point. She has been going on a BIT more than usual. Broken record ya know?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I just hope for voice talent that Obsidian doesn't blow their entire allocated budget on a few high priced 'Hollywood' stars and leave us with the same four actors/actresses for all the other NPCs. Like Bethesda.

Fallout 3 had a very diverse voice cast: FO3 credits

Compare with Oblivion: Oblivion credits

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

My point is, if Bethesda wanted to make another Elder Scrolls game, why didn't they? Why'd they have to dig up a beloved franchise, completely change it to fit the mould of an Elder Scrolls game, and try to pretend like nothing happened? Of course the fans will get mad, that's like... like releasing a new Pink Panther movie with Steve Martin in it instead of Peter Sellers! I mean, yeah, Peter Sellers is dead and Steve Martin is the only chance we ever have of more seeing Pink Panther movies. And sure, Steve Martin USED to be a talented develop-- I mean, comedian, but is the lack of respect for a legend like Blac--Peter Sellers and watching the Pink Panther franchise slowly wither and die in mediocrity really worth it just to see a brand name again?

Bethesda wanted to make THEIR interpritation of the Fallout universe, you don't have to like it, but it's only natural that a company would use the same format for their interpritation of a game.

If Bethesda had made Fallout 3 in the manner which the Codexian and NMA folk desired it would have SUCKED even more, not because isometric and turn based are bad, but merely because Bethesda have 0 experience doing such things.

I like Fallout 3 I thought it was a fun game, but in terms of having anything in common with the original fallout games, I never expected it to be anything else either.

What is it that Yahtzee says, "Fans are whiney complaining dip s**ts!"

Since the topic is on weapons, what did everyone think of F3's 'Fatman'?

You could just pretend you're playing Doom and it's the BFG. It's just how you look at it.

On the other hand, the fatman could make the perfect easter egg:

Every time you ask someone where to find a portable nuke you get hostile responses, and when you eventually find the fatman and shoot it you die instantly in a glorious nuclear mushroom, for being so dumb that not only didn't you notice that everything around you is devastated because of nuclear bombs, but on top of that you dropped one more in close range.

Messagebox: "We told you nukes are a bad thing, reload an earlier save."

You're all like ****ing sheep.

You're all individuals!!!

What's so bad about that dialogue, really? I am not a native English speaker, I'd like to know. Sounded like normal colloquial speech to me; keep in mind that the Lone Wanderer is a 19-year old kid.

it's generic, forced and uninspired. it has no personality, it's corny and they give the appearance of having more to say than will actually affect any outcome in the dialogue.

Like generic, forced, and uninspired dialogue hasn't been found in other CRPGs from other companies such as Obsidian, Troika, and Bioware. :grin:

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Also the weapon was based on an actual real world weapon that was developed back in the 1950s. I just like how people make idiotic criticisms without actually doing any research on the subject matter first.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Great! Then don't buy the Fallout brand name and call it Fallout!

HELLO! We do live in a capitalistic society. They bought it so they can do whatever they want with it. If you don't like it, why don't you cough up the money to buy it from them, buddy. Again, I have to say GROW UP.

Fallout 1 and 2 were slow and ponderous but guess what I liked them and a lot of other people liked them because I, and others, appreciate slowness and pondering.

That's great. Go play Fallout 1 and 2 then, while the rest of us get back to 21st century gaming.

Yes, I'm aware things have to "move forward". I'm not expecting 256 color sprites here. Look at Dragon Age, they're more or less making a game that plays extremely similarly to Baldur's Gate but updating the look and the feel for the HD, high-budget generation.

Hell, look at Diablo 3. Barely changed at all gameplay-wise AND exclusive to the PC. You think that's not going to sell?

Lets see here... Dragon Age is going on the console.

SHOCK THERE!

Its design does have the console audience in mind.

OH NOES!

Dragon Age will be real time, just like Fallout 3, and have cheap "death" tricks for companions just like KotOR and ME.

No. They wanted to make their own Fallout game which is why they bought the Fallout properties. It was for sell, they bought it. They own it. They can do whatever they want with it. No one is forcing you to buy the game or play it.

Also the weapon was based on an actual real world weapon that was developed back in the 1950s. I just like how people make idiotic criticisms without actually doing any research on the subject matter first.

...a weapon that was made for firing at a very long range like a mortar, and could level a city block.

... perfect for an easter egg. just perfect.

Very good, Ziggy. You deserve a cookie. Now add in a century of refinement that the Fallout universe would have before the war in 2070 and you would, logically, have the Fatman.

Very good, Ziggy. You deserve a cookie. Now add in a century of refinement that the Fallout universe would have before the war in 2070 and you would, logically, have the Fatman.

Sure, i'm not saying it's not plausible to have existed in an alternate sci-fi universe. I'm saying that it negates the whole "Nuclear weapons are a horrible devastating force" context of the setting, by making nukes feel trivial. If Bethesda had to have a BFG9000 in their game, they could just make it run on "plasma", and even if that would be even less plausible by scientific terms, at least it wouldn't show how much they just don't get it. It's just a failed attempt in creativity IMO.

I do disagree. I think the game keeps the whole "nukes are bad" theme in many respects. The Megaton incident for example.

You have a point. She has been going on a BIT more than usual. Broken record ya know?

Yeah, I probably have. It's just hard not to, you know. I'll try to turn it down. Sry.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I do disagree. I think the game keeps the whole "nukes are bad" theme in many respects. The Megaton incident for example.

And to balance the "nukes are bad" effect, thay made it so at least you didn't lose your grocer/questgiver right?

Come to think of it, that incident could actually be the result of a portable nuke.

Or a car accident.

I can see Ziggy's point about it trivialising the nukes.

I'm sure we can trust Obs not to balls this up completely, given their key players.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeah, I probably have. It's just hard not to, you know. I'll try to turn it down. Sry.

It's only the repeating nature that's annoying, for the most part I think you're right.

Fact is I'm pretty certain Josh has a spreadsheet with a bunch of numbers in it that he's tweaking to get the balance that he thinks is right.