Fallout 3

Gorth

I imagine the reason most folks don't commit crimes of any kind is the fear of getting caught and punished, regardless of the specifics of the crime. Which would mean for most the thought of robbing Fort Know is about as realistic as robbing their local bank.

In the world of Fallout, people won't have that fear.

http://www.amazon.com/Discipline-Punish-Pr...t/dp/0679752552

It's good.

I rather liked the always watching, always being watched panopticum construct, It's very sci fi. Don't remember if it's that book, as he's written rather extensively about the prison system, and punishment in general.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I don't mind the combat... when there are only two or three enemies. When a dozen raiders ambush you it just gets annoying.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I rather liked the always watching, always being watched panopticum construct, It's very sci fi. Don't remember if it's that book, as he's written rather extensively about the prison system, and punishment in general.

Yep, it's in D&P, though Foucault was building on an idea of Jeremy Bentham's.

D&P is excellent. It is interesting because a Panoptic system relies on the illusion of its persistent presence in order to produce prisoners that will always act *as if* they are being watched - but in the world of Fallout, surely, a greater illusion prevails - that you are never watched, even if you are.

I don't remember the Fort Knox location, but you'd think that by this point in time "robbing" such a place wouldn't even be treated as "robbing" - you aren't exactly a "robber" when you loot the Ayleid ruins in Oblivion or the Dwemer ruins in Morrowind.

Ok this kinda *issed me off and I need to vent.. so I bought the O:A DLC... downloaded and installed fine. Started a new game been playing for a good 4 or 5 days.. my PC is about 13th lvl put a decent dent in the game. And I have yet to encounter the new content I came to realize. So I do a little google search and apparently you have to be logged into windows live for the dlc content to activate/be usable. And since offline saves do not work when you are logged in to the windows live client... yea I just wasted all that time... I just restarted AGAIN.. tonight..

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Wait offline saves don't work?

What exactly does that mean since I loaded up Windows Live! after the fact but I still seem to be able to play the game.

If you have saves while you played offline (not logged to windows live) then login to windows live those saves are then not available until you logout and vise versa with saves while logged in.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

That sounds to be a bit silly of a way to do things though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wait offline saves don't work?

What exactly does that mean since I loaded up Windows Live! after the fact but I still seem to be able to play the game.

If you have saves while you played offline (not logged to windows live) then login to windows live those saves are then not available until you logout and vise versa with saves while logged in.

Hmmm that didn't seem to be the case with me.

I'll try again when I get home.

Got to the National Archives... so many super mutants. I'm out of ammo and insanely close to death. On the good side, the companion you get there is still alive for me, so maybe she can take some more bullets.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

You need to copy the save files into the folder with your LIVE username, then you'll be able to carry one with your old character.

oohhh thank you! :)

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

• 2 weeks later...

Hello :lol:

I posed a question in the FO3 spoiler thread that I could use some help on.

I would have posted it here since I think this thread gets viewed more, but its a pretty spoilerific question.

help. :huh:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

AI is anything but intelligent. I was sneaking up on two raiders who were sitting at a table. I shot one, blowing his head off and the other one went about her business talking as if nothing happened. :lol:

Picking locks is easy, even the hard ones. I don't even use force on them any more.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Its a better lockpicking minigame than Oblviion. ANd at least it has minimum skill requirements for locks. ALso better than Oblivion.

the best lockpicking minigame of recent years was in Thief Deadly Shadows. Mostly bexause it took time to work the circles around and since the game didn't pause when you were lockpicking, you were acutely aware of each passing second that you spent working the lock bringing a guard closer. The Deus Ex system worked as well although that was strictly skill and resource based.

ANy lockpicking minigame that pauses the in game action to give you infinite time to work a lock is ultimately doomed to failure.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

the best lockpicking minigame of recent years was in Thief Deadly Shadows.

The best lockpicking minigame I've played was in Dungeon Lords, although not many people played that game so I'm not surprised if noone's seen it.

Te lockpicking minigame consisted of two rows of randomly scattered symbols lined up (approximately five different symbols in each row). A progress bar of a different colour filled up that upper bar of symbols, and as the progress bar passed over a symbol, you had to match the corresponding symbol on the lower row of symbols by clicking on it.

If your lockpicking skill was low (relative to the difficulty of the lock), the progress bar moved very quickly and it was nearly impossible to succeed. If your lockpicking skill was higher, it was still demanding, but entirely doable. If you had master lockpicking skills, the progress bar was so slow you couldn't fail. It was a nice mix of player skill and character skill.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, Dungeon Lords may be 90% empty and devoid of content, but what's there is actually quite good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6jwE8mHLo8

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

the best lockpicking minigame of recent years was in Thief Deadly Shadows.

The best lockpicking minigame I've played was in Dungeon Lords, although not many people played that game so I'm not surprised if noone's seen it.

I actually bought Dungeon Lords, but when I realized that it was quite literally an unfinished game, I never bothered to play it.

DW Bradley was a good game designer at one time. I don't know what the hell happened.

I paid about fifteen bucks for Dungeon Lords and had some old-school fun with it. I wouldn't have wanted to pay forty, but I felt I got my money's worth. Dungeon SIEGE, on the other hand, was a complete ripoff even at ten bucks.

I paid $49 USD for Dungeon Lords.

I also paid $49 USD for Dungeon SIege.

:x

I can't say which was the worse. Was it the completely unfinished one? Or the completely terrible one? EIther wasy it was close to 100 USD totally wasted for a grand total of about 2 hours of really awful gaming.

I found another place that I hadn't been to yet. I found Takoma Park for the first time.

How many Mutant Behemoths are there? I found four so far.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

That's it? I've already killed 3!

If I play this game again, I am so adding a mod to slow down weapon degradation speed. It is absolutely proposterous.

Following Di's advice I went down into DC and did the stuff for three dog to help him get his signal running again. Despite going into the quest with an almost perfect condition combat shotgun and three lower condition spares in inventory for reparing, the weapon was almost useless from degradation long before I finished the quest.

The repair system wouldn't be so bad if you could repair a weapon with any other weapon, but as it stands now, it is just annoying.

Its much worse than System Shock 2, which I didn't really believe was possible.

Super Mutant Behemoth number spoiler:

Where is the is number 5?

I got the ones at

GnR

Takoma Park

The one that is being held prisoner.

The one that appears when you take the teddy bear from the cage, which is nearby the one being caged.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG