Fallout 3

Gorth

Amazing that a 10 MM pistol can blow the heads, legs and arms off in one shot.

Amazing is one word, yes.

Stupid is another. lol. ;(

Or it blows them several feet away. I do head shots any way so its possible.

I liked it when I dumped a bunch of points into non-physical stats creating the proverbial 110 lb weakling scientist type and in the opening escape hit a VATS critical with a bat on a guard, causing him to fly in the air as if punched by Superman.

It was awesome.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Bethesda did a pretty good job balancing the skills. They are all pretty useful in their own way.

I've recently started using the flamer in combat a lot and it is pretty useful against charging melee enemies. That and mines are my current way of dealing with combat at the moment.

EVen with a very high small guns skill, they are pretty weak and take a lot of shots to kill things.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Amazing that a 10 MM pistol can blow the heads, legs and arms off in one shot.

Amazing is one word, yes.

Stupid is another. lol. :)

Or it blows them several feet away. I do head shots any way so its possible.

I liked it when I dumped a bunch of points into non-physical stats creating the proverbial 110 lb weakling scientist type and in the opening escape hit a VATS critical with a bat on a guard, causing him to fly in the air as if punched by Superman.

It was awesome.

Too bad you can't round house kick them, then you could be Chuck Norris of the wastes.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

So... I'm out of the vault. What do I do now?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

So... I'm out of the vault. What do I do now?

Seriously?

I recommend:

Go to Megaton, talk to Moira at Craterside supply, agree to do the survival guide, ask to do the landmine part, get the town of landmine marked on your map, go there, disarm all the landmines, kill the sniper, raid all the houses for loot. There's a a ton of stuff. Each of the houses has a partially hidden safe as well. Use mentats and the vault 101 utility jumper to riase your lockopick skill to >25 and open each safe. Make sure to get all the lunchboxes and cherry bombs. There's at least 1 sensor module in a kitchen. Get that too. GO back to moira, get the bottlecap mine schematic. Start making bottle cap mines. Mines are awesome. There are even more awesome if you have a high explosives skill.

*boom*

Its a good start!

Edited by CrashGirl
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Or just... walk around.

ABsolutely. That's the strength of the game. I've got 4 different pcs in play currently and they have all gone directions on leaving the vault. Each one had different experiences and found different things.

Directions are the wrong thing to play bethesda games for.

lol. Awesome. :)

On a completely unrelated note: WHy the hell can't my character run? Every NPC in the game can sprint like the gates of hell are closing in behind them. ANd they never get tired. :lol:

edit: Just to point out that in true Bethesda fashion, my character appears to move faster walking backwards than walking forwards.

Edited by CrashGirl

FOr me, the absolute best part of this game, the part that screams fun, is

a) the sledgehammer

b) mines

c) the flamer

DOing horrible things to enemies with those three devices is a constant source of amusememt.

Sad. Innit.

Started all over and having a lot more fun now. Bethesda's difficulty settings are ****ed up though.

Talked to Moira, got to Minefield and repeatedly died from the sniper and the mines. I don't really know how to disarm them, and in any case my lockpicking skill is at the bare minimum (I'm focusing on combat), but its nice to see the sidequests are really worth it. Met the Slavers, didn't really like their attitude so I killed a few. Then ran.

Now THIS is fun.

PS: Some of these dialogue choices had me laughing. "I am an ambassador from the utopia of Vault 101! Bow before me!" :lol:

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Started all over and having a lot more fun now. Bethesda's difficulty settings are ****ed up though.

Talked to Moira, got to Minefield and repeatedly died from the sniper and the mines. I don't really know how to disarm them, and in any case my lockpicking skill is at the bare minimum (I'm focusing on combat), but its nice to see the sidequests are really worth it. Met the Slavers, didn't really like their attitude so I killed a few. Then ran.

Now THIS is fun.

PS: Some of these dialogue choices had me laughing. "I am an ambassador from the utopia of Vault 101! Bow before me!" :lol:

That's awesome.

If you get into it, and just accept it for what it is, the game can be a lot of fun.

SOme of the dialogue lines are pretty funny. Especially the jerky ones.

"I'm from the Family. Let me in."

lol.

ps: to disarm landmines:

Just crouch up to them and click on them (pc uses the E key as they start to beep. If you have high explosives skill, you get more time to disarm them before they blow.

Finished "Big Trouble in Bigtown". At the end they wonder how they'll survive any longer (since you can't be there to save them all the time), and it was really awesome because all you do is tell them you're going to train them in small arms fighting, then shoot at a couple of bottles and they start learning on their own. No fade to black, no cutscene, no lame tooltip... Pretty impressive. They even get to fight two super mutants afterwards.

It's like they didn't really bother to polish all the social interaction to make it insanely realistic, but still made the world feel complete and react to what you do.

Totally worth buying.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

For some reason, I never got the option to train any of the Bigtowners. They just kept giving me the whole "thanks for rescuing our friends" talk until I killed all the Mutants coming over the bridge.

You need a decent skill in Small guns. I had 50 when they gave me the option, I guess that's the bare minimum.

FOr me, the absolute best part of this game, the part that screams fun, is

a) the sledgehammer

b) mines

c) the flamer

DOing horrible things to enemies with those three devices is a constant source of amusememt.

Sad. Innit.

That would be sniper rifle + VATs + head shots on enemies or for ****s and giggles townies. Stupid wastelanders, I'm just doing you a favor by putting you our of your misery.

2010spaceships.jpg

You need a decent skill in Small guns. I had 50 when they gave me the option, I guess that's the bare minimum.

You should max that out ASAP. The better weapons fall under Small Guns. Big Guns are useless. They are nothing like the first two Fallouts in damage.

2010spaceships.jpg