Yahtzee reviews

Darque

QTE's are the unfortunate byproduct of trying to please everyone. It happened exactly like this.

DESIGNER: "And then theres a cutscene that explains just what the hell is going on"

SUIT: "Oh. But we have polls that say players with ADD dont like cutscenes. We have to find something for them to fidget with while watching it."

DESIGNER: "A cutscene is a cutscene, and if we remove it the story wont make any sense. Just let them sit and randomly mash the buttons or whatever while they wait if they cant be bothered to skip it"

SUIT: "Thats brilliant! We'll have them press buttons during the cutscenes!"

DESIGNER: "What?!"

SUIT: "Yeah! And not only that, but we'll force them to press them and if thy dont theyll die! Like in those old laserdisc games where you had to press left or right not to die and have to start over!"

DESIGNER: "Thats friggin retarded."

SUIT: "Dragons Lair sold like a gazillion copies. We're doing it."

DESIGNER: "DA didnt sell gazillions because it.."

SUIT: "I dont pay you to make bussiness decisions, just do it or Ill find someone else who will."

Have you been attending business meetings at Quantic Dream?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

They were fun in Dead Space, since they weren't all that hard and if you ever failed them the death scene was just awesome.

Can you really call them QTE though? If they are then those are exactly what QTEs SHOULD be. When the wall tentacle grabs you, you still have complete control of your aim for instance. Also, while I generally hate button mashing, it made perfect sense when all those little parasites latch on you and Isaac starts shaking like mad to get them off. I hate them when a game wants you to bash a button every time you want to lift a grate or something.

When I think of QTE I think of cutscenes with no control other than 'simon say's press this button now or die'. Absolutely horrendous in Resident Evil 4 PC port as the jackasses who ported the game didn't bother to change the on screen prompts to keyboard buttons. Not only that, but on the harder the difficulty you had to mash a key to run from a boulder at a ridiculous carpal tunnel speed or you had to react to onscreen prompts a millisec after they appeared. The idiocy of QTEs is that the player no longer has their attention on the story being told or the cool action on screen. They are focusing on a tiny part of the screen waiting for a button prompt so they can mash it like a lab rat whacking a button for a treat.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

QTE's are the unfortunate byproduct of trying to please everyone. It happened exactly like this.

DESIGNER: "And then theres a cutscene that explains just what the hell is going on"

SUIT: "Oh. But we have polls that say players with ADD dont like cutscenes. We have to find something for them to fidget with while watching it."

DESIGNER: "A cutscene is a cutscene, and if we remove it the story wont make any sense. Just let them sit and randomly mash the buttons or whatever while they wait if they cant be bothered to skip it"

SUIT: "Thats brilliant! We'll have them press buttons during the cutscenes!"

DESIGNER: "What?!"

SUIT: "Yeah! And not only that, but we'll force them to press them and if thy dont theyll die! Like in those old laserdisc games where you had to press left or right not to die and have to start over!"

DESIGNER: "Thats friggin retarded."

SUIT: "Dragons Lair sold like a gazillion copies. We're doing it."

DESIGNER: "DA didnt sell gazillions because it.."

SUIT: "I dont pay you to make bussiness decisions, just do it or Ill find someone else who will."

Cutscene's are an easy way out to begin with, QTE's just make a bad idea, an interactive bad idea.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

They were fun in Dead Space, since they weren't all that hard and if you ever failed them the death scene was just awesome.

Can you really call them QTE though? If they are then those are exactly what QTEs SHOULD be. When the wall tentacle grabs you, you still have complete control of your aim for instance. Also, while I generally hate button mashing, it made perfect sense when all those little parasites latch on you and Isaac starts shaking like mad to get them off. I hate them when a game wants you to bash a button every time you want to lift a grate or something.

No, I wasn't talking about the tentacle grabbing. That was awesome but not a QTE. I'm thinking of those "Press A really fast to shake off the monster trying to eat your face off".

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Cutscene's are an easy way out to begin with

I dont agree its easy, but id say they are completely necessary in order to convey the story to the player. Using text boxes or radio chatter doesnt really work to create drama or suspense, it cant create that feeling that something is really happening.

But with QTEs, I havent met anyone who likes them.. ever. Its strange that they still exist.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Is Guitar Hero one long QTE?

Sort of, all dancemat games are related to QTE. Although they lack the quick element since you're always warned well in advance what button to press. They all belong to the "push the button shown on the screen" game genre though.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If its Saints Row 2 then I would recommend you all buy it. if its World of Goo, I would recommend you go soak an indie cork.

If its Saints Row 2 then I would recommend you all buy it. if its World of Goo, I would recommend you go soak an indie cork.

it's SR2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

He said he won't do ODST, but who knows.

Did he say why?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I would think that's obvious. He's already done Halo 3, it wouldn't be any different.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Did he say why?
He hates Halo, but to quote him:
"I was wondering if you were going to review Halo 3: ODST."

- Jacob Probasco, via email

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha. Ha.

No.

lol. Awesome.

edit: I just watched his HAlo 3 review. He doesn't appear to actually hate it. But he's definitely not a fan.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Just for the record: that's a pretty inaccurate portrayal of ADHD.

Not that you guys care, I suppose. It's always fun to laugh at people with disabilities or disorders, right?

Edited by Krezack

Of course it's fun!

... doesn't mean it's right. :(

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Not that you guys care, I suppose. It's always fun to laugh at people with disabilities or disorders, right?

>.>

<has add and bipolar and usually is enthralled by cutscenes

they need to just capture the guys attention, not force him to stay attentive, there's a difference.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

No? :lol:

>.>

<has add and bipolar and usually is enthralled by cutscenes

they need to just capture the guys attention, not force him to stay attentive, there's a difference.

The guys I know get fidgety unless they get to play and constantly do things. They need to move around, jump and/or shoot things or they get frustrated and lose interest. I tried to get one of them to try Mass Effect but he thought it was too boring, and couldnt get a grip on the story because he spaced out and daydreamed in the cutscenes and dialogues.