Yahtzee reviews

Darque

Who was that annoying guy in the beginning?

He's from Unskippable... they had Yahtzee do a bit on unskippable and he said he's gonna do Zpunc better than Yahtzee (and called Yahtzee a short strait)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, as expected, both games were simply bad.

When was the last time Yatzee really liked a game? Portal?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, listening to the guest review at the beginning just makes you realize that not everybody can pull of a shtick like Croshaw's with such aplomb as he does.

And I agree that failing and BEING FORCED TO REPLAY missions becuase you missed a time limit is super lame. I would have hung up the game at that point, too.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well, listening to the guest review at the beginning just makes you realize that not everybody can pull of a shtick like Croshaw's with such aplomb as he does.

And I agree that failing and BEING FORCED TO REPLAY missions becuase you missed a time limit is super lame. I would have hung up the game at that point, too.

Actually most RTS's have at least one mission with an enforced time limit, but usually it's to kill/rescue some punk. TO rescue the guy however they usually have you simply GET to him rather than drag him all the way back to your base.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Speaking only for me, it is not the time limit itself that bothers me, rather it is being forced to replay something until I get it exactly right.

Replaying something because you want to try something different or make different choices is one thing; being forced to replay something because you didn't managed to jump through all the developers hoops is....meh.

If its a very short sequence that needs to be replayed a few times, such as a difficult jump, OK, I'll try it, but having to replay really large amounts of stuff or even worse, entire missions multiple times, is not something I'm going to be bothered with. Life is too short.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Speaking only for me, it is not the time limit itself that bothers me, rather it is being forced to replay something until I get it exactly right.

Replaying something because you want to try something different or make different choices is one thing; being forced to replay something because you didn't managed to jump through all the developers hoops is....meh.

If its a very short sequence that needs to be replayed a few times, such as a difficult jump, OK, I'll try it, but having to replay really large amounts of stuff or even worse, entire missions multiple times, is not something I'm going to be bothered with. Life is too short.

On the PC you can usually save the game so you don't have to do the whole thing again. It would be cool if the campaign continued on, but your failure has some... unforeseen consequences.

You have to repeat stuff until you get it right in most games, it's just that console games have save points while most PC games have quicksave to make things mildly less frustrating. I don't like repeating stuff either, but that's what games do.

The thing that is frustrating in that regard is that he essentially succeeded in his mission and was penalized for it because it wasn't quiiiiite quick enough. As a result, the guys randomly and arbitrarily disappeared, which is going to be damned frustrating.

It's not like he failed to rescue the objective or that they didn't survive the trip back due to hostile forces.

"All its faults are balanced with its other faults."

:)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Never heard of that game before, but geez, it sounds utterly retarded and not fun.

Never heard of that game before, but geez, it sounds utterly retarded and not fun.

Yeah, but at least it provided us with a funny review. hehe

:o

Spoony did a more well-rounded review of it some time ago. Also it's on the Playstation Network, that's probably why no one has ever heard of it.

Even though Yahtzee's shtick is obviously to accentuate the negative (although not always, I guess), when I have played the games he reviews I do find myself agreeing with many of his points, even when they are negative.

After a while of reading the same reviewer, one begins to get a sense of how their take on things (games, movies, etc) meshes with one's own. With Yahtzee, I find we tend to respond negatively to many of the same thigns.

Spoony did a more well-rounded review of it some time ago. Also it's on the Playstation Network, that's probably why no one has ever heard of it.

Even though Yahtzee's shtick is obviously to accentuate the negative (although not always, I guess), when I have played the games he reviews I do find myself agreeing with many of his points, even when they are negative.

After a while of reading the same reviewer, one begins to get a sense of how their take on things (games, movies, etc) meshes with one's own. With Yahtzee, I find we tend to respond negatively to many of the same thigns.

I totally enjoy Yahtzee's negativity and his general style. I just linked the other review because it provides some nice background information on the game(because no one had heard of it). Also I don't really like horror games. The "well-rounded" comment might have been a bit misplaced.

Edited by Purkake